oil cooler is it needed???

BKB

Since my car is a show car i would love to simplify the engine by removing all the oil cooler/heater lines. Does anyone have a oil temp guage on there car to prove its needed. One plus is my car runs very cool since i have a huge Fluidyne rad and the motor is in a mustang were it gets tons of airflow. I will be pushing 400 crank HP so is it really needed?

I don't know too much about it. but i'll throw in my pennys not that you care. I'm gonna say you need this. there's not many points where you're getting coolant close to your oil supply, even if your water is cool. especially at 400 hp. and if you're trying to measure your oil temperature accurately where are you doing it? your bearings might be running hot while other parts might not be.

to simplify the engine for show purposes, it might be feasible to somehow cool your engine oil downstream. maybe near the front of the car? im not saying it'll be any simpler functionally, but doing so offline might get it right outta there, and out of the way so you can have people enjoy such a marvel of an engine.

Did you notice this was posted in 2004? I havent been running the oil cooler on my car for a few years now. Im over 375 rwhp and 425 tq and so far no problems that i know of. Oil pressure stays at 75psi over 1200rpm using 5-30wt. I will say it takes a long time for my oil to reach operating temp, this is going off of my psi gauge that will read 80-90psi for 10-15 miles. With the cooler after 3-5 miles oil psi would level off to normal psi. My oil pan does hold about 6 1/2 quarts and im sure that helps.

I eliminated mine, and did a remote mount filter for the pressure gauge and filter access. I tend to hold higher pressure as well when the motor is cooler. I have noticed no difference in performance. IMO, ford probably did it to stabilize the oil operational temps for engine wear/emissions. Kinda like a trans cooler for an auto on a daily driver. It goes through the radiator to help warm it up, but on a hot day it kills performance.

Thats my 2 cents. Everyone is a critic on the actual need for this cooler/heater. I personally want to do an oil cooler, tube/fin style up front in addition to my relocator. These cars already have enough issues with heat soak as it is.

I wonder how much heat the oil cooler puts into the coolant ? If it's a significant amount, I'd seriously consider using full synthetic oil and delete the cooler.

David

Or how much heat does the oil put into the coolant :p:D?

Being the "village idiot" here's my thoughts.

If you can keep the coolant, the oil and trans oil temps constant between them all, you have a much more predictable environment to work with. Ultimately, the coolant temp is going to dictate the temps of the other fluids in our setup. So, if we can keep the coolant temp sitting happy at say 190F, the other fluid temps will be around that so all is happy and balanced.

Are not the fluid's best operating temp around that 180-190 mark? Ford seem to think so, as alot of the tune parameters are based around those temps, even for trans and oil.

Fraser

Back