Anyone driving on Yokohamas?

TbirdSCFan

Well, my Dunlops were great for the 2 years that they lasted... :rolleyes: :rolleyes: so now I've got this great deal from discount tire for a set of Yokohama YK420s which are the equivalent of the Yoko Avid H4s.

The Dunlops worked great but wore out way too fast for me. Its hard to get a consistent set of opinions on the tires, but I know that I want at least 40000 out of a set, and the Yoko 540s I had before wore well.

ive heard nothing but good about yokohamas from alot of friends with imports, however i really dont have experience myself. As far as i know they have longer tread life, but still have good traction. Just dont do burnies all the time:D

I've been running a set of Yokohama Avid S/T's on my 94 LX for about 10,000 miles now, and I absolutely love them. I can barely tell that the tires have worn, so I definitely think you should be able to get 40,000 miles out of a set. They hook up very well, too. I have 245x60-15's on the front and 255x60-15's on the rear.

-Rod

I can tell you a friend has a set of these in low profile summer performance version on a Ranger and experienced significantly increased traction over the previous Dunlops & Goodyears. Treadwear is not noted yet, only about 15k on the tires. The Ranger is very light over the rear wheels & previously rear tires could spin very easily, especially in low traction. These tires provide much better results, even in conditions which they were not designed for such as snow.

Been running the Yoko's AVID 235 60 16 on mine for two years and 35K. Still run smooth and lots of tread left to go. I can burn them at will and they are just okay for launching the car.

Due to a pretty good deal and a good record from the reviews, I went with Goodyear GT-HRs instead. So far, so good. Bought them on a rainy day, and haven't had any slippage starting off. So far, they are smooth and quiet.
I thought my front pass wheel bearing was shot because of the wheel noise, but with the new tires, now its quiet as a whisper. In fact, I can again hear something I hadn't noticed in a long time... Wind noise. Now, once I get the chance to drive them through a few corners, I'll know just how much of a compromise I made.

I never figured I'd end up with GYs again, but I did.

Back