A question for you Supercharger Guru’s

WLF

I have a question for you Supercharger Guru’s. I am working on a custom supercharger project using a supercharger off a Supercoup. The supercharger I bought is new and did not have a pulley attached. I have since obtained a pulley and am ready to install.
My questions are as follows:

1. When installed, is the pulley flush with the end of the shaft? If not, how much does the shaft protrude past the pulley?

2. If I freeze the supercharger and heat the pulley to 500 degrees, can I drive it on (gently) with a hammer or does it have to be pressed on? If it does need to be pressed on, does the nosepiece need to be removed to do so?

Any information you can give me will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.
:confused:

Hope this helps

Keeping the pulley hot and blower cold is a cool idea, but I hope you got some good gloves. I just wobbled the pulley on to a certain point, and then used the nut to tighten it on the rest of the way. I had to use vise grips to hold the pulley while tightening the nut also. Some choose the easier and more pricey route of buying a supercharger pulley installation/removal tool.

pearl95sc, thanks for the reply.
After reading your post I did some searches and it seems I've got a different snout on my blower then the ones I see in pictures posted here. The shaft appears to be just as long but without a threaded end. The shaft is the same diameter since the pulley would be a tight fit. Also everything else from the Supercoup bolted right up. ????!!!

Anyone here have a blower with a pulley that is pressed on (no nut)?

Does it have a keyway and a nut, or a bolt and no keyway?

Does it look like this? Early Ford M90

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2452945353&category=43808

Does it look like this? Late Ford M90

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2453114321&category=33741

Does it look like this? Late GM M90

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2453472259&category=33617

Does it look like this? Early GM M62

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2453915328&category=42604

Jeff

J57ltr,

It looks like an early Ford M90 but without the threads for a nut. It does not look like a GM M90 because the intake port is the same as early Supercoups and mine will mount the 3.8 top hat just like the Supercoup.

Seems to be some kind of hybrid.

My concern is if it will damage the nosepiece bushings/bearings if I drive the pulley on gently. I don't see any way to press it on without removing the nosepiece.

I am not worried about the pulley coming off since this is the way most M112 blowers mount their pulley. Since this is a custom install on a 4.6 engine, I can adjust for any differences in the nose length when I fabricate the mounting plate.

Does it have internal threads? Try to post a pic.

A GM M90 snout is longer and can be made to fit. But a pressed on pulley needs just that, a press. Hammering will damage the bearings.

Jeff

J57ltr,

Thanks. I'm pritty sure the shaft is solid (no internal threads). I will try to get a picture up in the next day or two.

If I remove the nose piece, will I have access to the back of the shaft so I can press it on properly? Also, anything I need to know when taking off the nose piece?

Post a pic B4 you take it apart. Lets see what it is.

If not I will take some pics of the GM/Ford/Jag SC snouts I have.

Jeff

Here are a couple of pics. Left to right Jag M112, Ford M90, GM M90. The GM snout was turned down on the end for a smaller pulley (or so I was told by the previous owner).

Attachments

• 1129090.jpg
    1129090.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 416
Here is a closer view of the M90's.

I'm betting that George's thread he found is the answer.

Attachments

• 9090.jpg
    9090.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 385
It looks just like the early Supercoup M90 except it looks like someone cut the threads off. I know this was a test unit for Eaton Quality Assurance and has never been on an engine.
It was broken in at Eaton, tested for QA then rebuilt and sold as used. Perhaps they removed the threads when they were testing or perhaps the guy who had it before me???
How hard would it be to switch out the pulley shaft and how would I get one??

I has a manufacturing tag as follows:

The ASSY number EA-17265-5
S/N 22128
Production date 4-2-92

Last edited:
It will probably be easier to get a used snout. ESM makes a Ti shaft but that is just rediculous. They might also make a new or might have a used shaft that you could buy.

You can check in the classified section for the snout or any spare parts.

You will need to deal with Paul from Blue Tongue, to get to ESM. You should see a little add in the upper right of the screen.

Jeff

I found out this supercharger was previously owned by Sauerf100s who had previously posted this exact problem of not having the threads on the pulley shaft. I'm sure it is the same supercharger because he referenced things like the serial numbers being in line and other things matching the descriptions given here when he listed the charger on e-bay.

I have found a replacement shaft with the threads. Has anyone had the nosepiece apart? Can you give any advice as to what I will need to switch out this shaft and reassemble the charger?
Also, I assume I will loose the lubricant, how much lubricant does it take and is there a fill line or do you just put in a set amount?

Thanks in advance for any advise...

I did a search and this was the closest thread so I figgured here's the place to post.
I just put on my new aluminum 5% pulley. Tightened the nut as much as I could to the point the belt wouldn't stop slipping. I couldn't get the nut to go tighter and the pulley wasn't wanting to go farther back. I started it and it promply shredded my SC belt.
My question is is there a way I can get the pulley back far enough enough without damaging the pulley? I don't want to have to take it off as the pulley puller may scratch up the pulley, I just got it back from being polished.
Any thoughts? The SCCoWC's first meet of the year is sunday I'd really like it fixed by then. Showing up at an SC meet in a Golf just ain't right. :(

Back