Custom intakes part 2 *PICS*

V6Sprout

Go here for part 1

http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=39425&perpage=15&pagenumber=1

OK got my sisters camera so I could take more pics of where I am at now. I am actually working on 3 intakes. ONe to make the stock Supercoupe blower work n the split port heads, one to make the lightning intercooler and possibly the lightning blower work on the stock SC single port heads, and if possible make the lightning IC and blower work on the split port heads (will be tougher due to the cooling ports getting in the way of the IC)

Here are the pics of my custom lower intake TUB for the intercooler. It will sit about 1 inch into this tub and there will be about a 1 inch space under it to allow the air to come back up and into the ports in the head.

intake_pics_008.jpg

intake_pics_009.jpg

here is a shot of the tub out of the block, shows how deep it is, it sits as low in the block as possible, just above the rocker guide plates and barely clears teh pushrods, I have the cama nd pushrods and lifters in the block for clearencing issues. I will round the edges of the tub for extra clearence as well. I may also angle the long sides of the tub to help airflow come back up and this may also be necessary to meet up with the head flanges.

intake_pics_010.jpg

Pics of my custom cooling port for the split port heads and stock blower setup. I'll extend the cooling channel to the rear of the heads as well but may not use it in the final design, we'll see.

intake_pics_012.jpg

My mock up design for hte thermostat housing, (its a rough desing :) )

intake_pics_013.jpg

intake_pics_014.jpg

Last edited:
Jamie I like what you're doing there. Prototyping with that clear acrylic is a good idea! You can see if you have a clearance problem with everything in place and thats cool.:eek:
I'll be watching your progress because this is interesting.
I dont want to highjack or divert the path of your post but could you PM me the instructions on how you posted more than 1 pic at a time? That skill would help me out so much but I cant figure it out. Could you throw me a bone? I'm sure its simple but I'm lost.:eek: :eek:

V6Sprout, all I have to say is... Dude! I want one! What you are doing is so bad ***! If you make it work with SC heads and a Lightning blower and intercooler I definatly want one.

Keep up the good work!
Shane

Man you stole my idea! I thought about athat a few weeks ago when thinking about how to properly find the holes. Great job, looks good!

Jeff

BTW are you using MEK to melt the plastic sheet or silicone?

Last edited:
Well the lightning blower wil be a tight fit under the hood since it sits so tall. I may also try the cobra blower since it enters the rear of hte blower instead of the top like the Lightning blower. The IC's are different ont he cobra though but I thik I could get it to work. I got the lightning IC cheap so thats whyI don't mind hacking it up to try and get it to work.

V6Sprout, yeah I was looking at pics of the two and figured that the 03 cobra was the better way to go. I hope you build a few of these because I want one for sure. I have one question though, if the 03 cobra blower mounts up, than can a Kenne Bell twin screw mount up as well? The KB would be more efficent (but at a steeper price) than the 03 blower.

Thanks!
Shane

yes the KB will bolt up directly. The reason I am trying the lightning IC first is cause I got a used one cheap to hack up and test fit. The cobra IC is actually quite different, the cooling intlet/outlet are at teh front of the cobra IC and on the lightnign IC they are at the rear facing upwards. The IC will not sit too deep in the tub so I bet I could get the cobra one to work as well, which will work better due to not being as tall as the lightning blower. Once I get the lightning IC and see if I can get it to work, I'll start searching around for cobra IC's. Lightning IC's are easier to come by right now since they have been out longer.

Jamie,

As per our discussion last Saturday, I think this stuff looks awesome!

I'm working on something similar, but may retain the stock SC set up in regards to the way the blower mounts, and the air to air IC up front.

I'm trying to get my hands on an M112 cheap first (doesn't matter what it came out of, as I only need the snout and cartridge with rotors).

Cheers,

Sean

SeanMatteson said:
Jamie,

As per our discussion last Saturday, I think this stuff looks awesome!

I'm working on something similar, but may retain the stock SC set up in regards to the way the blower mounts, and the air to air IC up front.

I'm trying to get my hands on an M112 cheap first (doesn't matter what it came out of, as I only need the snout and cartridge with rotors).

Cheers,

Sean

I guess you are doing the 112/90 Hybrid too, huh?

Jaime

What are you using to glue the plekiglass?

Jeff

M112 complete lightnign blowers can be found on ebay for as low as 250US, not bad, usually around the 300-350 mark though.

I am using this glue that is suppose to be for ceramics and stuff, doesn't say its for plexiglass but seems to work, but its very very slow to dry, after so long it will hold the parts together but the parts can still move and gravity will move them if you don't support the part. I think I may just get some superglue next time.

I was at a plastics place yesterday. They have a few different types of glue that is permant. If you like I'll check see if I can get some for you if you like.

Jeff

thanks, its not a big deal, I only can do so much right now on the intake until I get the lightnign IC to fab up more stuff. What I need to find is plastic tubes to mock up the bolt holes, I goitta run long bolts and need the tubes to fab that up. Also gotta find thick acrylic cylinders to make the mounting parts for the blower. I want to actually drill and tap it so I can actaully bolt the blower to this model intake.

Piece O cake! I use a lot of different types of plastics at work and can probably find any material, and shape you would need.

Shoot me an email and let me know what you need.

Jeff

Chris Walker said:
Sorry this is kinda off subject but can you walk me through posting pics?

When you make a post look at the bottom where it says "Attach file" Hit "Browse" and find the pic on your puter and attach it.

Jeff

just a quick update, My lightning IC finally came in from Hawaii, postal shipping from Hawaii is not fast. The IC is at my friends house in NY, so I just gotta go over and pick it up then I can proceed with the custom intakes.

Back