Can I fool the computer - Rims and Tires

Bird of Prey 94

I have 245/45-ZR17 still not satisfied with braking. Being that the braking system is computer operated with ABS, traction control, etc.; can I do something to the computer to make it believe it is still running on the stock rim and tire setup (P225/60/p16) to make it stop better?

dont think theres anything you could do to effect braking performance through the computer. The reason why it probably feels different is becuase the wheels are probably havier, therefore more rotational mass to bring to a stop.

Bigger brakes is the only way. I could't believe the difference after I put 13" on the front and 11.65" on the rear. I can just about stand the car on end :)

The computer doesn't care what tires you have. Traction control compares wheel speed with the speedometer speed to detect wheel spin.

ABS compares wheel speed against all 4 corners determining which one(s) is slipping and eases braking at that corner.

None of those calculations care what size the wheels or tires are.

The problem is not in the computer. It is the weight of your rolling stock. The computer only intervenes when the car has one lock up. You need to upgrade your brakes. Even as much as adding a set of crossdrilled rotors. I added a pair homemade ones to the rear of my 97 and it made a HUGE difference. SC brakes are better then LX so be lucky you dont have to start from ground 0. If you want some rotors Spinningwheelssc.com on this site has them available for $145.00 for both I think. This should fix the problem.

When I move up to the 13 inch rotor from the stock rotor, does a set of brackets come with the new rotors, or will I have to order that separately?

You'll need to get new calipers - If you have 93 or newer, the cobra(PBR) calipers should bolt right up without a bracket.

Hey fast n ed, before you switched to the moostang bolt pattern, did you have just the caliper upgrade? If so where did you get your rotors from?

Hey Fast Ed N

Thanks for the website. Is this all in one kit, or do I have to buy the parts individually from part stores and/or junkyards?

Chris, before the Mustang hub / brake swap, I had the Lincoln Mark VIII rotors and calipers on the front of the car. Used OE Ford rotors, and aftermarket rebuilt calipers.

BofP94, you can purchase the calipers and rotors togther as a kit from places like DiscBrakesRUs, or KVR Performance. Bearings and hubs can be purchased through a Ford dealer or aftermarket sources. Check with a dealer that gives wholesale prices for the calipers and rotors too, the 2003 Mustang Mach I front calipers are the same spec. as Cobra units, but they are just plain dark grey finish, no logo on them ... and the factory Cobra / Mach I front 13" rotors, supplied by Brembo, are excellent quality. I did 7 open-track days with my SC last summer, 5 of them with the car wearing Hoosier race radials, and the rotors are still in excellent condition, no cracks or vibration.

cheers,
Ed N.

Back