View Poll Results: What is the best manual transmition fluid?

Voters
46. You may not vote on this poll
  • Other? (please elaborate)

22 47.83%
  • 90 weight

2 4.35%
  • Royal Purple Synthetic ATF

14 30.43%
  • Mobil 1 ATF

8 17.39%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 5-speed tranny fluid

5-speed tranny fluid

Ok, wha't have "you" had the best luck with as far as manual transmision fluid goes?

Let democracy rule.
    Last edited by RichM; 01-30-2004 at 11:04 PM.

GM Synchromesh

I'll second the GM Synchromesh fluid, with a bit of Ford friction modifier thrown in for good measure.

cheers,
    Ed Nicholson
    SCCoO

well decided on AMSoil synthetic ATF. I talked with them and they seem to beleive it will work fine. The guy at the tranny shop said that the AMSoil would be a good choice also.Also one of the guys at work is a "perfered customer" and gets a discount.
    I do intend on leaving it short about 4 ounces until I decide it it needs friction modifier.
    I'll try to update when the motor and tranny are back in.

I used Mobil 1 in the T5s I have ran, I have shattered the input shaft in one, bent the shift pivot mechanism in another and neglected to check the fluid in another until it stopped being nice to me. None of the three had failures resulting from a bad lubricant just a bad owner .

I use Redline D4 Synthetic ATF with no friction modifier. No problems to report.

Redline D4

I just recently changed over my shifter to a B&M Ripper, and also changed the fluid while I was at it, like Duffy I also used the Redline D4 Synthentic with no friction modifier, 1 week in no problems, so I would second duffys choice as well. Mike

i have 217 k miles on mine i use dextron mercon i try to change it every year

Mobile 1 5W/30 motor oil with friction modifier.
    Shifts Smooth, big improvement over standard ATF.
    Last edited by matt59; 08-05-2012 at 06:29 PM.

"I use Redline D4 Synthetic ATF with no friction modifier. No problems to report."

Me too! My transmission would not go into 1st without hitting another gear, before the fluid change. Afterwards it shifted 100% better and would shift to 1st even after it was hot.

I recently used the GM syncromesh spec under the Penzoil brand, and 4 oz frictoin modifier.

My 2nd gear syncrho is starting to wear and the change of fluid made it shift significantly better, and its quieter when it does grind. I am not sure if this is due so much to the type of fluid as it is to the fact that it is new fluid.

The only possible negative I have noticed is it becomes noticeably harder to shift at lower temperatures, such as upper 50s. I don't think I would have had this problem with the Mobil 1 synthetic ATF.

Where might one be able to purchase this 'redline' transmission fluid?

I also use Synchromesh with a bit of friction modifier. And, I also noticed that it is harder to shift in cooler temperature, until it warms up a bit.

Syncromesh is a bit thick when cold. But offers better protection and feel when the fluid is HOT. And thats when it matters.

gm synchromesh