5-speed tranny fluid

What is the best manual transmition fluid?

• Other? (please elaborate)

Votes: 22 47.8%
  • 90 weight

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • Royal Purple Synthetic ATF

Votes: 14 30.4%
  • Mobil 1 ATF

Votes: 8 17.4%

• Total voters

RichM

Ok, wha't have "you" had the best luck with as far as manual transmision fluid goes?

Let democracy rule.

Last edited:
I'll second the GM Synchromesh fluid, with a bit of Ford friction modifier thrown in for good measure.

cheers,
Ed Nicholson
SCCoO

well decided on AMSoil synthetic ATF. I talked with them and they seem to beleive it will work fine. The guy at the tranny shop said that the AMSoil would be a good choice also.Also one of the guys at work is a "perfered customer" and gets a discount.
I do intend on leaving it short about 4 ounces until I decide it it needs friction modifier.
I'll try to update when the motor and tranny are back in.

I used Mobil 1 in the T5s I have ran, I have shattered the input shaft in one, bent the shift pivot mechanism in another and neglected to check the fluid in another until it stopped being nice to me. None of the three had failures resulting from a bad lubricant just a bad owner :D .

Redline D4

I just recently changed over my shifter to a B&M Ripper, and also changed the fluid while I was at it, like Duffy I also used the Redline D4 Synthentic with no friction modifier, 1 week in no problems, so I would second duffys choice as well. Mike

Mobile 1 5W/30 motor oil with friction modifier.
Shifts Smooth, big improvement over standard ATF. :)

Last edited:
"I use Redline D4 Synthetic ATF with no friction modifier. No problems to report."

Me too! My transmission would not go into 1st without hitting another gear, before the fluid change. Afterwards it shifted 100% better and would shift to 1st even after it was hot.

I recently used the GM syncromesh spec under the Penzoil brand, and 4 oz frictoin modifier.

My 2nd gear syncrho is starting to wear and the change of fluid made it shift significantly better, and its quieter when it does grind. I am not sure if this is due so much to the type of fluid as it is to the fact that it is new fluid.

The only possible negative I have noticed is it becomes noticeably harder to shift at lower temperatures, such as upper 50s. I don't think I would have had this problem with the Mobil 1 synthetic ATF.

I also use Synchromesh with a bit of friction modifier. And, I also noticed that it is harder to shift in cooler temperature, until it warms up a bit.

Syncromesh is a bit thick when cold. But offers better protection and feel when the fluid is HOT. And thats when it matters. :D

AMSOIL ATF.
What ever you do... do not put 90 weight in it.
These transmissions were designed for ATF which was the preferred fluid before the development of Manual Transmission Fluid which is used in more modern manual transmissions. A lot of guys have started using the Manual Transmission Fluids.

The AMSOIL ATF does not need a friction modifier added.

I have also read here that several guys have added friction modifiers to the manual transmission fluid. You may be upsetting the chemical design of that fluid. Just because you think it is working fine, unless you are chemical engineer you do not really know if you are doing any damage to the transmission or not.

Pennzoil syncromesh, same as GM at half the cost.
Alan

But it says Pennzoil... I avoid things in Yellow and Green bottles like they have an STD that I can get by just touching them...

With that said, I went with GM Syncromesh and some Ford friction modifier. And yes, I am made of money.

I am really curious about the need to add a friction modifier to the syncromesh fluid or ATF which I have seen mentioned in this thread.

All the friction modifiers I have seen from Ford or GM have sulphur (rotten egg smell) in them which is an extreme pressure additive for hypoid gears (differentials). I don't think the SC 5 speeds have hypoid gears in them which is why Ford put ATF in them.

There are several different friction modifiers available to oil manufactures. so does Ford and or GM now have a different friction modifier that does not have sulphur in it that I might not be aware of?

Back