still cant get it to run

Correct it wont run with any maf connected. It wouldnt with my stock maf sensor and then I tried 2 Auto zone maf electronics and all were the same. I wouldnt think that all 3 electronics could have been bad. Before I tore my motor apart it ran perfect so my electronics were fine then. After rerbuilding it the stock electronics wouldnt work so thats what I thought was the problem. Its just hard to believe my factory electronics went bad and both az. ones were bad as well. But at this point I DUNNO!!
Oh and also my fuel pressure was adjusted to 40psi with the fpr line disconnected.
Tad

By the new one I meant the MAF connector. Anymore the more I think about it, it seems like the crank sensor. The only thing that puzzles me is why it died(s) with the MAF connected and still runs when its unplugged. And it does run up to 3k and then shuts off every time correct?

Food for thought...

I just read a post by Bobgpz where he was having a similar problem. The car would idle up to 3000 rpm and then slowly die. Turned out to be a bad IAC valve. Sorry if this has already been discussed. Just figured I'd throw it out there.
Mike

Yes most of the time it will go up to 300rpm and die but sometimes it just sputters for a sec. and dies. When I am cranking the motor I do not have an up arrow on my guages either like I thought you have when you have a bad crank sensor. I wouldnt think it would be the IAC because it wont run with the throttle open either. No matter how much gas you give it it wont respond at all it justfalls on its face after 3000rpms.
Tad

According to bobgpz, you can disconnect the IAC valve and if it makes a dying goose sound then its bad. It might be worth a shot.

It's not a crank sensor and it's not the IAC for sure.

Did you reset the fuel pressure? You had it a little high.

Jeff

When the car died, did the fuel pressure drop off as well or did it stay pumped up? I would now at this point find a breakout box and pin it out. It sounds like you are losing either crank snesor input or fuel. The car only needs fuel, fire, and air to continue to run. Are all of your hoses tight? If they are loose, Im kickin myself in the butt for not askin sooner. Put the car all the way back together if its not and then try.

Quick way to check a cam sensor. Reconnect the MAF, unplug the cam sensor. Attempt to start the motor. Without the cam sensor signal the EEC will randomly select coil packs to fire. When it gets the right one it will start and run fine. The other times it won't want to start. So just try starting it a bunch of times in succession. Don't hit the gas or anything like that, it should just start right up and run ok when it guesses the right coil.

Jeff, as far as I know my fuel pressure should be fine. When I adjusted it I did it with the vacuum line on the fuel pressure reglator disconnected and set it to 40psi. With the line connected it does drop to around 35 or so. Chris, as far as my lines all being tight everything is a okay there. I double checked all of them and my fuel pressure does indeed stay up when it dies. Dave, I will have to try what you were suggesting because I havent tried that yet and at this point I'll try anything you guys can think of.
Tad

I thought that you set the pressure with the line connected which would cause more fuel to be dumped.

I think that there may be a combination of problems that are causing your issue. Not sure what it is though.

Jeff

Okay I just tried disconnecting the cam sensor and starting it... Once again no luck!! :( It fired up and sputtered like always and died. I tried several times and nothin. I disconnected the maf afterwards and it started right up again??????????? I am rapidly running out of patience with this thing. But once again I do appreciate the replies!!! Hopefully you guys have another idea to try because right now I cant afford to take it to a mechanic so I have to get it goin myself. (with all your help of course)
Tad

Unplug the IAB sensor and try it. If it runs check the "91 sc wont idle" (or its close to that title). They walk you through it. I still think there are two problems though.

Try this disconnect the intake tube from the TB and see if the car will run, leave the MAF connected.

Did you ever check the MAF output voltage?

Jeff

Someone posted earlier on how to check the MAF voltage. There is a MAF sensor on ebay rite now for like $20. Check it out.

Dont know but its better then that Auto Zone crap you have on there now. All of them are different when you buy them from Ford but they are generic from most of the aftermarket places.

maf

I think the maf on the 89 is a 55mm and a 93 has like a 70mm.

As long as the injectors were stock though, it would be ok for testing it.

Good luck!

David

Back