Need help with rebuild and performance

SC95Stang

I am rebuilding an 89 Supercoupe engine to go into my 95 Mustang. I need some help for one finding some good parts and checking something with you guys. A guy at RPM, Redline Performance Mustangs, has found me a rebuild kit. He is quoting me $900 for new forged pistons, bearings, rod bolts, gaskets, ect. Does this seem like a fiar price? I dont want anything special out of these pistons stock ones are fine (dont the SC's come with forged pistons stock?). Also, what is the CHEAPEST way to hit the 300 hp mark, or near it at least. I'm just looking for good performance out of this thing before I put it in the car. I have a cold air intake, dual exhaust w/headers, and an underdrive pulley already. Can I use the pulley? I plan on using the dauls and adapting the CAI to work. I was also quoted $910 for heads, and a cam. Again, is this a good deal? I would like to build the engine and hit at least 280 hp within $1000, but it doesnt look to good right now. I just want to match the felling of my turbo Skyline which had 280 hp. Any help would be appreciated. I'm trying to do this on a VERY tight budget. Thanks for any help.

P.S. Mikael, if you see this, I mean no offence just shopping.

Im in the same boat dude...i bought a 90 s.c. a month or two ago and was going to do the rebuild on it to.The prices i got for a rebuilt motor was crazy$2100 with heads.Then i found a guy to do the whole motor for $1250,i to was shooting for the 280 range..the only thing i was told to get done was port the exhaust on the heads and intake,change the cam,the lift was 500 to a 520 lift but nobody told me the lobe seperation or the duration to go with,go with the sealed rings i heard good things about them.Iwas wanting 280 before i put pulleys,t.b.,mass air,and the other stuff but the monkey threw the wrench into my plans today,trans went out so i will spend most of my money on that,hope this helped some i know it was'nt much help but it was all i had,good luck let me know how it goes

Thanks for your reply, I am trying to save a little money by building it myself. I've already paid someone $1200 to rebuild the current 3.8 when the heads blew and I was in Okinawa, and since the engine is screwed up since they did such a crappy job, now I dont trust anyone else to do it. I've spent maybe $500 so far on the engine, but I still need a little more stuff. If you go on eBay sometimes things that will help pop up. I've already got aluminum heads with enlarged exhaust valves, port job, and I think a 3 angle valve job. I won a Coy Miller Stage 1 cam on sunday. With the dual exhaust, gasket matched TB, intakes, and a smaller pulley, I should see 280 hp hopefully. I bought the enige pieces indiviually, with no pistons. I didnt want to spend the $900-$1200 on a kit. All I need now are the rod bolts, timing set, and some gaskets. After that I'll be ready to strip the engine down, paint it, and rebuild. I cant wait to get this engine done and in, although I wont be able to launch real hard till I upgrade the 7.5 rear to an 8.8. Remeber to get a chip and a fuel pump. If you any help you can ask me or V6Sprout on 3.8Mustang.com's forums. Hes already done this and knows just about everything. He's got a write up on another V6 site, I'll try to find it for you. Anyway thanks! And good luck with your engine as well! Maybe when we're done we could meet up at a track meet or sumthin, later!

Back