OT: some pics of my latest acquisition

fast Ed

Hey guys

Looks like I have either another car to play with, or a parts car to make some money from ...

We had an 87 Lincoln Mark VII LSC get traded in at the dealership, car has some air suspension issues, and the customer didn't want to put any more $$ into the car. It has almost 290,000 km on it, but is pretty decent considering that. Looks like most or all of the Lincoln power goodies work, the car actually drives pretty nice too. Some big oil leaks from the motor, typical for a 5.0L of that era. Corrosion at the bottoms of the doors and fenders, but nothing too horrific. Rocker panel and floor pans look pretty solid.

So now what ? I've always liked these cars ... lowered a bit, with the right wheel & tire combo, they can look sweet. But, I have space issues, and my 68 Cougar to deal with this spring as well. HMM ... decisions !! :p

Here's a pic:

Last edited:
And the last one ...

Interior is not bad on the car either, needs a good cleaning of course, but the dark blue leather is in good shape for a 17 year old car !!

Last edited:
Just one question, Ed:

Will that 5.4L motor you've got fit between the fenderwells?!

...If not, sell it! ;)

Cheers,

Sean

SeanMatteson said:
Just one question, Ed:

Will that 5.4L motor you've got fit between the fenderwells?!

...If not, sell it! ;)

Cheers,

Sean

It's a Fox platform car, so the answer is YES !! Would have to convert the brake system though, it has the crappy Teves ABS system like the 89 - 92 MN-12 cars. A late model Mustang hydroboost system would probably be needed to clear the left side rocker cover. Would be neat, a 32V DOHC Lincoln motor, swapped into a Lincoln, of all things ! I had thought of this already, don't worry. :D

In the short-term, I'm going to have to find somewhere to park the bloody thing first. :rolleyes:

So, not bad for $402.50, taxes included ...

cheers,
Ed N.

its just needs a little bling:cool:

how about that aerostar in the background? had one for work that blew up. Guess the oil pans are bad on all of em.....our company aerostar ran outa oil ....and well ya.we didnt know :eek: :)

:rolleyes:

Well, it's not that bad, I guess. At least it's a Fox platform, so you can start with that.;)

Actually, I was gonna suggest the 5.4, but Sean beat me to it.

Hey, I know, maybe you can race Mike with the Grand Monkey at the track this year!!!! No, REALLY!!!! The Grand Monkey versus the......(got a nick-name yet??), you know what I mean.

Regardless, congrats!

Umm, I would hope that this car would wipe up Mr. Varrik's wintermobile ... the 87 LSC came with the 1986 version Mustang 5.0 HO motor (crappy heads and upper intake), so 200 hp, and 3.27 gears. The Grand Monkey would be putting out a whopping 150 hp at the crank in comparison from it's non-HO 5.0.

I think the road tests back in the day for these cars usually netted a high 15 to low 16 quarter mile ... enough to give a stock 4.6 T-Bird a good run !! ;)

cheers,
Ed N.

Rear Axle

Hey Ed
What is the rear axle?
Might this be a 7.5" - How wide is it wheel surface to surface.
Re: 71 Mustang 9"-8.8" = -35lbs, 9"---->= -115lbs
My 9" has a bent axle, and if the LSC rear is wide enough I might be able to put late model bullit wheels on without adapters - 0n the rear at least...
Pete

Sean and Andrew both said it all ready if that 5.4 will fit or not, but since it does I think thats what you should do Ed.
we parted one of them out in high school that was a lot of fun.:)

fast Ed N said:
Umm, I would hope that this car would wipe up Mr. Varrik's wintermobile ... the 87 LSC came with the 1986 version Mustang 5.0 HO motor (crappy heads and upper intake), so 200 hp, and 3.27 gears. The Grand Monkey would be putting out a whopping 150 hp at the crank in comparison from it's non-HO 5.0.

I think the road tests back in the day for these cars usually netted a high 15 to low 16 quarter mile ... enough to give a stock 4.6 T-Bird a good run !! ;)

cheers,
Ed N.

I know all about that motor. TOO well.

Yes, you'd kill him with the non-HO (forgot that one, thanks).

Stock 4.6? Okay, you can run Mike with his Bird, too - LOL!!!! Ouch.

Re: Rear Axle

Peterdroy66 said:
Hey Ed
What is the rear axle?
Might this be a 7.5" - How wide is it wheel surface to surface.
Re: 71 Mustang 9"-8.8" = -35lbs, 9"---->= -115lbs
My 9" has a bent axle, and if the LSC rear is wide enough I might be able to put late model bullit wheels on without adapters - 0n the rear at least...
Pete

Pete, the LSC got the 8.8" axle assy. in 1986, same as the Mustangs. 1985 and earlier would still be 7.5". I know that the axle shafts are 3/4" longer each side than 79 - 93 Mustang. No idea of the overall flange-to-flange width though. It has the same sort of mounting configuration as the other Fox cars, so it would require some fabbing to go under a leaf spring car like your 71. Maybe a 95-up Explorer 8.8" would be better for you ... wide, rear disc brakes, 31 spline, and at least 3.27 gears, usually more.

cheers,
Ed N.

Explorer

Doesn't the explorer have the 2" offset center section?
9" to 8.8" isn't enough weight savings for the effort. 8.8 does offer other advantages though.
7.5" everybody says why - my 302 is not making so much torque that the 7.5 can't stand especially considering the #of KM's I do with it, yet 115lbs is good weight savings. Flexaform springs 8lbs each also big help
Pete

Not sure about the offset on the Explorer diff., that's certainly possible.

For a 7.5" with rear disc, you would have to find an SVO Mustang, or a 1982 - 1985 Lincoln Continental, or 84 - 85 Mark VII.

cheers,
Ed N.

What a bunch of keyboard racers.
Edna race the mark 7 against MY bird? Very funny. Your SC couldn't beat my Allen/V8 juice combo.
Andrew, pull beside this chump and blow his 5.0 HO away.

That was Andrew's suggestion, not mine. ;)

I implied the Mark could take your Monkey, or give a good run to a stock 4.6L Bird. :)

cheers,
Ed N.

So your bird is close to stock. TB spacer and 3.73? Like that makes a big difference. I still wanna see you two pull beside.

Actually, Mike, there's more than what you listed, but not much increase. Close to stock....yes. But i'm still 1 second faster than stock. That's a BIG difference in the 1/4.

What's up with the whole "I wanna pull beside" and "You pull beside him" (that doesn't sound right) and such? Who have you been racing lately? Last I saw your Bird was hibernating like most others. Picking on old ladies with the Grand Monkey when they leave Loblaws???? Hmmm?

Don't get all defensive or nothin'. To me it sounds like Winter is getting to you. I've seen it before.

Remember all the challenges come spring time. I'm sure there'll be some hungry Birds that wanna do more that just play around.

Back