2003 Cobra replica wheels from group buy

Shockwave

2003 Cobra replica wheels from group buy PICS ADDED

I got in on the group buy on the 03 Cobra wheels. They arrived today.

cobra4.jpg

cobra.jpg

These are the polished. Anybody that has uncleared polished wheels e-mail me, and let me know what I am in for. I have been given advice to have them cleared, but was wondering if anybody with polished wheels has any advise to give on the issue.

Also, they are Dante Designs, 36mm offset 17 x 9s, custom drilled to the 4.25 bolt pattern. Looking to go 255/45/17 and could use advise on tire brands and models that are good for the money.

Thanks
Jerry

Last edited:
IMHO-find a shop that can powdercoat clear-the spray clear yellows and peels bad.

A good powdercoat clear will save you time and frustration-especially with a sweet set of wheels like those!

those are **** bad! any pics of them on a tbird yet? If not....bolt those suckers on and take some pics!!!

they look real nice, just wonder what theyll look like on a birdy

Glad to see I maybe started a trend away from Cobra R wheels last fall when I posted the pics of my car with genuine 03 Cobra wheels. ;) :D

cheers,
Ed Nicholson
SCCoO

I've heard really good things about Zoop Seal, though it's around $130 for the kit. Protects polished aluminum. Do an internet search for more info.

No tires!!!!!!!!

I thought it was going to take three weeks to get them. Also, I drive the car everyday and threre is still a chance for snow on the roads. Snow and wide tires don't mix. I will test fit a wheel this weekend to make sure everything is ok. Then I will order some tires.

Jerry

Those wheels do look sharp! I wasn't aware that anyone made those in our bolt pattern yet. As for tires, I just bought BFG T/A G-Force KDW's in 255/45-17. My car is lowered, & that size is perfect. I'm very happy with the tires, both in look & handling.

Hey Man

Hey Man,
Nice looking wheels.
Should look even better when you wrap those up and bolt them on.
Laterz,
D Rainer

PJ (aka Thunder Flee) asked me over to the garage to test fit one of my 03 cobra wheels.

I brought one over, and we put the car on the lift. Evidently the offset is different from year to year on SCs. The 03 cobra wheel is a good inch from the spindle and sticks way out from the fender. PJ has chrome cobra Rs 17 x 9 on his 95 SC, and even with a 1/4" spacer his wheels don't stick out this bad.

We then mounted the 03 cobra wheel on his 95 and it doesn't need a spacer. there was plenty of room from the spindle, at least a good 1/4". The 03 wheel on the 95 sticks out the fender about the same as his Cobra Rs with a spacer. I never thought about taking my camera with me or there would be some pics posted on this thread. Maybe this weekend I will take some pics to show the offset.

So it looks like the 03 wheel offset would work about perfect on a 93 up spindle so no spavcer would be needed. I thought I read on this board that the early spindle is better for 9 inch wheels?

Jerry

oh and heres a lowering kit and gfx supplied by me and MS Paint

i like the way they look, is there silver ones too?
2.jpg

T-bird4vr said:
Those look really nice. I wish I would have gotten on that buy.
Enjoy

cudaz101 will now sell a set of the wheels at the group buy rate now that they are made. He can also get other styles. I just don't care for the pmimp wheels out there or Cobra R. Saw Eds pics and that was it for me.

Look in GP forum. Also cudaz101 has solid chrome lugnuts and lock. I ordered 20 with no locks. He is also testing some center rings. His Dad owns a wheel store or something.

Doug

Shockwave said:
PJ I brought one over, and we put the car on the lift. Evidently the offset is different from year to year on SCs. The 03 cobra wheel is a good inch from the spindle and sticks way out from the fender. PJ has chrome cobra Rs 17 x 9 on his 95 SC, and even with a 1/4" spacer his wheels don't stick out this bad.

So it looks like the 03 wheel offset would work about perfect on a 93 up spindle so no spavcer would be needed. I thought I read on this board that the early spindle is better for 9 inch wheels?

Jerry

Thanks for posting Jerry. I may get some +36 offsets now for an older SC I am running with small brakes.

Here is a response I got from one of our Fordbastard Club SHO owners who road races 2 SHOs. But he runs different for the street.

I've been using the Kumho Victoracers V700 for few years. They stick
good til they're showing cords. They sucked last time at MSR, cause it
was only 40° that day. Hard to say how many miles I get from them.
They have a new V710 coming out soon or it might already be out. Maybe
their website has some info. www.kumhotireusa.com
Hooisers are fast but don't last long and if you go off track you'll
likely have a blow out cause their carcass is real thin. Makes for a
lite tire for less unsprung weight.
Hankook is a new tire, out about a year, the Z211.
www.hankooktireusa.com

Sergio

So anymore input on protecting the polished wheels? Jerry I assume you are concerned about brake dust and rubber sticking? I should have got chrome because when on the track they get hot and stuff really sticks and hard to remove and clean when things cool.

I don't think you undersood my post, and that was my fault. I think the offset is not enough for 89 and 90 cars. 91 and up have a different hub, and I don't know what that would do to help. I know that 93up have the different spindle and can use less offset and these would work great on those cars.

I don't like the way the 03 wheel sticks out on my 89. Comparing the 03 wheel mounted on a 95 SC and then on my 89 SC, the wheel sticks out a good 3/4"more on my 89. It looks bad to me.

I measured 6 5/16" backspace on the 03 wheel, and I calculate that to be about 34.5mm psoitve offset. I could easily use 18mm more positive offset on my 89. Whoever came up with the offset for these wheels used the 93 up spindle. I don't have a problem with that beacuse you wont need a spacer for those cars. PJ with the 95SC has a set of chrome Cobra Rs 17x9 and has to use a 1/4" spacer to clear the spindle. I don't know who made his cobra R's, but they were probably designed for the early cars. I didn't get a chance to measure his backspace, but the 03 wheels are a good 1/4" away from his spindle. Unfortunetly, nobody test fit the 03 wheel on a 89SC or checked to see if they needed a different offset. The 03 Wheel is a good inch from the spindle on my 89 SC.

I had PJ and his brother Chris look at it, and we all agreed it didn't look very good sticking out that far. My only recourse is to sell the wheels, or change spindles, hubs, rotors, and calipers to the 93 design. I don't think I am prepared for all that. 03 wheels are on hold for now.

Jerry

Back