? for anyone w/ 1" raised sc top

JWXR7

My brother and I just finished up modifying my extra sc top. I added about a one inch spacer and opened up the throat.

My question is... Have you guys been able to use all the stock plumbing from the outlet thru IC with a raised top like mine?

I was just out trying to see if it would all line up and seal okay, but it doesn't look like it will, at least without some modifying. The main problem looks like where the top tube goes into the IC.
Any tips please?

Attachments

• topside.jpg
    topside.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 492
i wouldny think you would have a problem, i see alot of 1" raises with stock plumbing....however yours is custom...so yours might be slightly off? i dunno?

anyways....your absolutley going to have to eliminate the top tubes mount to the powersteering pump ( bottom of the top tube). I had to eliminate that for my 3/4" top. It just takes a second to get the thread out of mount.

I put the SC-Top and top tube together then bolted the SC-Top down snugly to the supercharger......then lined up the tube with the intercooler. Worked great for me. 148lbs on that collar nut that connects the top and tube together. be very careful tightening down the SC-Top!!! you can easily strip the threads out! i learned the hard way!! Seal with a high heat RTV silicone/gasket sealer ( very thin solid bead between the top and the supercharger ). Hand tighten the SC TOP bolts by hand with a medium to small wrench!!

good luck:cool:

Mine has a flat 1" spacer, don't think I can give it an angle in favor of alignment. It does look like the tube mount ear is in the way even with the stud removed, I think I'll cut it off and go from there. If all else fails I'll have to come up with a custom top tube set-up. This top just has so much flow potential to not use. (I was playing around with it and was able to push a tennis ball clear thru the throat).

thanks

I my shop manual it says to tighten it to 48 lbs, not 148, I think everyone has a misrepresentation by super coupe performance with thier saying its 148. My manual may be wrong, but 148 lbs seems like enough to strip threads of almost any sort.

No , I think your misunderstood, out of my 92 FORD shop manual,

8. Tighten supercharger outlet adapter collar to inlet tube to 200 N-m (148 lb-ft).

The 4 bolts that go into the blower will never take 148lb-FT.You will strip threads for sure. The 148lb-FT is for the nut that goes on the upper IC tube.

yea its 148lbs , when i was tightening it down with my TQ Wrench , i was like......is this thing ever gunna click?? Finally it did.....no worrys the top and tube are steel arent they? they seem heavy, so the threads are really strong. Unlike the threads on top of the supercharger:mad: :mad:

learned my lesson on those babies

The top and tube are CAST aluminum. That means they are fragile when pressure or torque is applied in a direction that they were not designed to take it. I.E. if you hit the tube sharply you could crack it.

cast aluminum....steel.....same thing:D :) :p

anyways.....the SC-Top threads wont withstand anything over 25lbs. I stripped one of mine out with a hand wrench. learned my lesson to just get them good and snug.

good times

it fits under the hood

All that aside...
I have a stock hood and so far it clears enough to close the hood fine. I'll find out what happens under engine torque, the motor will probably twist and dent the hood out. I'll have to deal with that if I can get the tubes all hooked up so I can drive it this spring.

If that fits under your stock hood, I would guess that your engine mounts are shot. Have they ever been replaced? I saw in your signature that it has 70K....if so, I had my engine mounts replaced at 74K....FYI.

I should update the signature because I now have about 83K on her, and it has the original motor mounts still. Do you have a 1" raised top? Any tips on my original post question?

Fittin under the stock hood

Here's a pic of what I had to do to my hood for clearance. With the solid rubber engine mounts that are not the new stock height ones, the engine sits higher. The MP raised top I have appeared to still fit fine, but I pulled the insulation from above it to be safe. As for the SCP 3.5 intake tube, I had to cut a chunk out of the under support for clearance. I did get the hood to close without cuttin it up, just didn't like how it sat about an inch higher on the passenger side :p .

Attachments

• cuthood.jpg
    cuthood.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 70
I just worked on trying to line up the stock plumbing and there is no way to make it work.
I'm thinking of cutting the upper IC tube somewhere in the middle and using a hose to couple them to give me more alignment freedom.
Any better ideas or thoughts?

Back