Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SC on Propane

Mike8675309 Guest

SC on Propane

I was just reading a little on propane powered cars and noted that they can run much higher compression ratio's without detonation.

Has anyone considered or heard of an SC changed over to propane? Anyone think it's possible?

al35thsc Guest

Re: SC on Propane

talk to manny sc, or dave neibert, i believe they are interested and/or have been working with propane

al

David Neibert Guest

Mike:

I'm planning to install a propane injection system later this summer to allow higher boost and cool the intake charge.

I'll still be using the fuel system I have now and the propane will only be injected when boost is over 13 pounds. The system looks like a NOS dry type and is being made for use on turbo powered cars like Supras, Stealths and GNs. It looks like it would work on the SC without any changes.

It is an alternative to water/alky injection and not a power adder like NO2.

David

Mike8675309 Guest

I've watched the threads on Propane injection to try and reduce intake temperatures. It sounds very interesting and I'll be curious to see the results.

I'm pondering propane as a primary fuel due to it's equivalent costs and higher octane. It would allow higher compression ratio's without the fear of detonation.

But I don't see much evidence of others doing this before. And I'm wondering if it might be because while propane can improve things a bit, nothing can beat true high octane gasoline.

Cheryl89SC Guest

SC on propane

Mike, al, David,

This guy has three or four SC's on this page the last one is propane power.

Cheryl

www.scperformance.com/MemberServices/CustomerVehicles.asp?CustomerName=COBRAJE

Bill A McNeil Guest

Dave,

Do you have any links to site that are selling systems currently for turbo applications?

Thx.

Cheryl89SC Guest

SC on propane

Guys,

My link got trashed. Here is the complete one.

http://www.scperformance.com/MemberS...ame=COBRAJET38

C

Air Intake cooling...

Has anyone ever tried injecting air? Same principal as N20, except you would have an endless supply. All you would need would be a high pressure air pump, and you could use all the attatchments from a n20 kit.

Bill,
    I have attached a link to the site that has been making a kit for Stealths, Mitsibuti 3000s and Supras. When I last checked they had removed the kit from the site because they couldn't keep up with demand.

David

http://www.dynamicracing.com/
    1991 SC AOD 4.2..2.3 Whipple..........10.910 @ 125.61
    2016 SRT Challenger Hellcat...............707HP/650TQ

My Garage

Air injection being the same as NO2?

Well, you'd have to shove a lot of it in there. Our supercharger is already doing all it can to inject air. NO2 can give you problems with detonation.

Propane benefits from being an additive that has a higher octane and thus is more resistant to ignition. In addition, it cools the ambient air around it decreasing the charge air temperature allowing even more air to enter the cylinders.

A propane powered SC would be nice, but getting fuel on long trips might be tough. If instead it could be made into a flexible fuel vehicle, maybe with computer programmer, that would be more usable.

You can't just put air in after the MAF you will run lean.

Jeff

Originally posted by Mike8675309
    Air injection being the same as NO2?

Well, you'd have to shove a lot of it in there. Our supercharger is already doing all it can to inject air. NO2 can give you problems with detonation.
    I mean inject it like N20 is injected. You wouldn't get rid of the supercharger. And you wouldn't run lean because you would know exactly how much your putting in, just like you know how much N20 your putting in.

Regardless whether it is N2O, air, or even pure oxygen, You have to provide extra fuel OR YOU WILL GO LEAN. All nitrous systems provide extra fuel. In a wet system the fuel is provided from a jet mounted with the nitrous. In a dry system the extra fuel is provided through the injectors via increased fuel pressure. You can't just add the air, if it is added after the maf the computer doesn't see it and it will run lean.

Jeff

Even if you know how much air your putting in, then you have to have the extra fuel. Period.

Talking PROPANE IS FUEL

IT IS A COMPLETE FUEL THAT BURNS SLOWER AND IS COOL REAL COOL SO IT RAISES OCTANE AND COOLS AIR CHARGE

I didn't say anything about "Propane or propane products", I said air, N2O, or oxygen (which isn't a good idea)

Jeff