relocated front plate

autowriteradam

i just relocated my front license plate this past weekend. It's a lot easier than I thought it would be.

I just popped off the fasteners that were holding the plastic bracket to the front bumper, made a piece of sheetmetal the same length as a license plate, made it about 3.5" - 4" tall. Used the old bracket for a stencil for the holes, used the license plate as a stencil for the other holes, drilled, and bent the metal to about 45 degrees and used bolts/lockwashers/nuts to secure it under the bumper where the two lower holes from the old plastic plate holder were.

The hardest part was to get the plate to the bumper as its hard to get your hands up under the plastic to hold the nut and spin the bolt.

Oh, I painted it too, to deter rusting. You can't really see the bracket at all though.

It looks real good and is an easy mod. I can see the SC on the front bumper now. My only dislike is the two small holes left up top on each side of the SC. I'll fix those when I repaint though.

A trained monkey could do this, and it looks a lot better than stock.

A.

wow i dunno if that'l fly around here i know i'd get hassled by the TST "Texas State Troopers" for having the plate that low and on an angle ....however i love the idea i can't stand having the plate on that giant holder stick'n way out like a bucked tooth.

if anybody does that, they better be careful pulling into any steep driveways, you just might end up losing your license plate. just a thought........:D looks cool though......:)

You may want to check into local law, but here in ohio, we have to have two licence plates, but, if the car has a bumper and not a spot for a licence plate, then you do not have to have the plate up front. I know because of all the new cars without the plate holder, I even saw some lady with an sc with no front plate. just something to check into, I never new it existed here before the sc entered my life.

Looks to me like at least a 3-5 HP gainwith the improved aerodynamics. .....j/k looks like a decent idea...like 92silverlx said about the "buck tooth", this is an improvement.
Tom

That's why I'm glad I am in the military. I can pretty much pick and choose the state I want my plates from. I chose my home of record(PA). Two reasons, no emissions so I ditched the cats. And no front license plate. I think it totally ruins the look of the front end of a SC more than any other car. I yanked the bracket off from the previous owner and now I am constantly reminded by two holes in the bumper.

im from ohio also. im going to look into the law for no front plate if the bumper isnt made for one. theres alot of firebirds and crap around here with no plates. As long as i can fill in the 2 holes on the front bumper , it would probably look like you cant mount a front plate.

Yeah. I think the statee's around here would definitely tag me for not having a front plate, thats why I didn't delete it completely, but I wanted to.

About the two holes up top, yeah, i actually still have them there along with a lot of paint chips that look hideous. A little bit of Photoshop and you never noticed did you :eek:

thanks for all of the feedback.

-Adam (autowriteradam)
on my dad's s/n

heres the email i got back from the BMV here in ohio. I emailed them saying my car was sold to me new without a front plate bracket. So theres no getting around it

Pursuant to Ohio Revised Code § 4503.21, the front and rear plate must be displayed. Failure to display is a primary offense for law enforcement to make a stop. Furthermore, it is a ticketable offense.

I suggest you take the vehicle back to the dealership to have them install the front bracket.

PWN3D!!!

my fiance's dad has an impala (2001 i think) anyhow, he has not had a front licence plate on it from day one and not a single cop has pulled either him or anyone driving it over since the day he got it.

ive also been running without a front plate, got stopped once but he never said anything about it. just said that i was driving to close to the yellow line????? lol dumb aZs

Back