Want to know cost of owning a SC?

35th T-bird SC said:
Wow and I didn't even see head gaskets on there. I guess that's next, then tranny mount, then engine mounts, then rear end mounts, then shocks, then a tranny rebuild....

I am the second owner of this SC, and the original had the HG's done long ago, and had $$$ to keep maintenance up. Your right about the Shocks, Tranny & Diff mounts being next "35th", but I already did one of the engine mounts. WAS planning on doing the passenger side this weekend, looks like I am just going to park it for a long while instead.

As far as "Dealer Labor" & "Learn how to do it myself" on other posts, LITTLE was done at the dealer as possible, with exception of warranty work. I have done almost all of the labor MYSELF since I have gotten a place with a garage now, hard to do in apartment complex with manager breathing down your neck. But THAT is the piZZr' of it all, I WANT to drive/enjoy my ride and enjoy working on it, but NOT be a slave to it. YES I have bought all the books/manuals and frequent this community so I can better understand how this car works, and NOT have to depend on the stealership or mechanic, and I haven't had to for a long time.

I now average 300 miles between breakdowns, when I used to go 2 years between. I could actualy trust this car would get me to where I was going. I didn't buy it to hot rod. I bought it for road trips and because it is different, comfortable, and sporty. Now it is one dam thing after another, EVERY other weekend. Have a budget for things that are needed now and all this other stuff falls apart. I get the front wheel bearings fixed, and a fuel dumping problem pops up. Fix that and then have to put new brakes on front, and then the rears go bad, which was going to do anyways. Fix rear brakes and the ABS Pressure Switch goes bad. Fix that and the motor mount goes bad. Fix that and the ^% brakes go out again. :rolleyes: I have pulled this M/C out of the car 3 times in the last month! Give me a break! :mad: Needless to say I am going to take that POS M/C out, and when I yank it out I'm going with aftermarket..Screw this ABS junk. I would like to hear your ideas/input Mike38SC on deleting that ABS System sometime. Guess I'll just take few weeks away from it.

Cisco, thanks for advice, as I do regret selling my 1968 GTS 340 Dart I had for 10 years whenever I hear a V8 now, and guess your right, I'm sure I'd feel the same with the SC gone, just mad at it right now..

Attachments

• i_angr~11.gif
    i_angr~11.gif
    15 KB · Views: 178
I honestly don't think the SC is any more trouble prone than any other car that's 14 or15 years is going to be. At least mine is not, it's a 90 with 120,000 miles on it. It's still on it's original engine and transmission and paint, which is more than i can say for the car that the SC replaced.....it was a 1987 Firebird Formula 350....bad-*** car, black on black, i LOVED that car and it was hella fun, but the clearcoat fried off of it when it was 4 years old, the transmission went at 68,000 miles and the Engine spun a main bearing in the middle of Montana at 94,000 miles.......i wanted an SC when they came out new but couldn't afford it....the unreliability of the Formula, which i babied by the way, cured me of GM forever and prompted me to sell the damn thing and buy my SC....funny thing is i got $500 more for the GM junk than I paid for the SC!

Bob do you remember asking me one time when I thought I'd get my car together? Think back on my answer to you then.
I said that I stopped setting completion dates and it would be done when it gets done. I was'nt trying to smartass you its just as you now see it can be a never ending thing.
But once I'm done it will be like a brand new car and I should get many years of enjoyment from it. Just once I started tearing into it I kept finding things that needed attention and it was'nt because of abuse it was just age that had done most of the damage, so I decided to do it right and just completely tore it down and am going through everything.
I geuss you gotta be a car nut to do this stuff and put up with the disapointments that come along with it. This will be the 7th car I've built in my life on my own and I've helped many friends and family with cars they were building, so you can see I'm pretty eat up with it. Hell I've even got a turbo car setting in the driveway right now waiting for when the SC is done. I'll do the same thing to it when I get it in the stall except I'm going balls out on it.:D I'm a sick man but there is a method to my madness! LOL!!!!!:cool:

Last edited:
The ABS can be frustrating. I know that the easiest way to eliminate it is to use the MC from an LX. I know that it will bolt right in and all you really need to do is run an extra brake line to the rear since the non-abs unit uses seperate lines for the rear brakes and the the abs unit uses only one. I unfortunately no one has road tested this idea yet so we don't know how well the system performs.

Personally I'd keep the ABS. The ABS is another system I've had to learn and really, there isn't much to go wrong with them. If you've already changed the pressure switch, then the pump and accummulator are about all that ever goes wrong.

Talking of road trips, that is mainly what our Cougar gets used for. It has 180K miles on it and drives like new. We have taken it on 5000mile trips recently with no tools in the trunk. And no, I'm not rich, but I have no reason not to trust it either. This summer it will go on Hot Rod Power Tour for the 4th time.

BobGPz said:
... Fix that and then have to put new brakes on front, and then the rears go bad, which was going to do anyways. Fix rear brakes and the ABS Pressure Switch goes bad. Fix that and the motor mount goes bad. Fix that and the ^% brakes go out again. :rolleyes: I have pulled this M/C out of the car 3 times in the last month! Give me a break! :mad: Needless to say I am going to take that POS M/C out, and when I yank it out I'm going with aftermarket..Screw this ABS junk. I would like to hear your ideas/input Mike38SC on deleting that ABS System sometime.
I know it frustrating to have the problems come back, but the Teves II really isn't all that complicated. Other than the fluid and rubber seals, there are only 4 basic parts to the electrical part of the braking system, the pump motor, the pressure switch, the pump relay, and the wires.. thats about it.. just completely forget about the ABS part for now; it doesn't affect in any way the normal power assisted braking. In fact, if it makes you feel better, pull the relay for the ABS computer :eek: you'll never see the antilock light come on again and the brakes will be unaffected.

Take a few deep breaths, and lets go over whats happening; it could be something really simple.

Couple of questions:
1. When you turn the key on to the run position w/o starting the car, do the brake and anti-lock lights come on, and can you hear the whine of the pump motor?
2. Does the pump cut off (whining ceases), and the lights go out within about a minute?

If this happens, it tells you tons.. it tells you that 1. the pressure switch is working as it is supposed to, 2. the pump motor itself works, 3. the pump motor relay is functioning, and 4. the system is building and holding pressure.

Some more questions:
Did you replace the pump motor relay just to be sure?
Do you have a voltmeter?

Yeah Mike, I figured with all these new parts listed, I'd HAVE a new car by now or at least so many new parts that fewer would have chance to fail. The thing still has the original paint and shiny clear coat, and interior is like brand new too. Just the wear and tear keeping her down.:rolleyes:

TBirdSCFan, I was just driving down the road and the both lights came on when I touched the brakes which was happening for past year. I know, I know, the Accumulator is junk. Just wanted to make sure the brakes worked for a few days before I put more $$ into it. Anyways, going down the road I let off, and the lights stay on. Then next time I hit them, NO BRAKES!! LOOK OUT!!!:D POS!:rolleyes: Anyways, reservoir has proper level of fluid, but I DON'T hear the pump when I turn on the key. When I did Pressure Switch, I also put a new Relay in (Old one is still good, but like I told Mike, just wanted too have less parts that may fail). So I probably fried the ABS Pump. I am hoping to either rebuild it (practice on the spare I have) or go with your previous suggestion with an LX setup. Maybe add Line Lock? Guess I'd be the guinea pig eh?:)

It could be your ignition switch. I did not notice that in your list of fixes. I had the same symtoms and after changing the ignition switch and accumulator the brakes work well. I just need to change the pads.... probably Rotors, Pads, Calipers this May. You know its a SC; you gotta do it right.

Like the guys have said. Chill on it for a few days or weeks and then get it going. The weather is going to turn nice and we all know how much fun these cars are on a nice spring day... Wait I don't. Mine was down last spring for a rebuild. Well I guess I hopefully will know this spring.

:cool:

Last edited:
My SC just turned 69k miles and aside from performance mods, tires, brakes, and gas it has cost me $0.00. I have owned the car since 1997

Ok lets get some things straight

The SC was not a cheap car new

You get one cheap with high miles.....Think about it.

You get one from the 3rd or 4th or 5th owner...You dont know the history

You Maintain your car..It will treat you well..Period..

I beet the living bejesus out of my SC and everyone I ever owned..However I keep up with the Maintanance..

There a great car..And for the money you cant beat it..

But you get what you pay for

My .02

Before I got my 91 SC, I had a 2002 Ford Focus. I had the car less than 5,000 miles and there was a fire in the trunk. The insurance company totaled it because they felt they would never get the odor of smoke out of the car.

That was 10 months ago or what would have been $3650 in car payments. I've spent so far around $3400 on my SC since getting it. $1200 purchase price, $1100 transmission rebuild, around $600 for the head gasket job and $325 getting the flowmasters put on. Along with a few odds and ends here and there.

I still haven't spent as much as I would had I still had the Focus. I hope in the next year, the repairs will be fewer and cheaper and I can do some more upgrades.

Oh yeah, no need for collision and comp. insurance, so saving on that too.

Good luck with your car Bob.

David

Daily Driver

My car is at 181k with original engine, head gaskets, aod ...its never been apart. Its has power and uses no oil. Paint and interior have held up great. I never race this car because it is a daily driver. It goes 70+ miles a day interstate with great reliablity. I think that is the mission these cars are best suited for: daily highway miles. If you let a complicated machine set it will cause maintenace problems. These cars need normal use. If you want more performance out of one be preparred to pay up big or make time for a SC hobby.

1st owner repalced radiator
Ive replaced
engine mounts
DIS
Cam Sensor
Fan motor
belts
hoses
battery
filters
fluids.... knock on wood

OK, so where is my $14,000.00 car at??

Looking at what you had done to your car.

Obviously you got shafted on repairs a few times..Minus general maintanence and performance mods..Your car really hasnt costed you all that much..

I almost forgot..I did have one problem with my 94..Bad valvebody on transimission..:O)

Back