dis module

sho taurus

i have a 91 sc and my dis module keeps going out every 3-6 months.just put a new one in few days ago and it only lasted 2 days.any suggestions?i have been using napa's dis module should i break down and spend the big bucks on a motorcraft one?also i have a 95 sho taurus (yahama motor) and it has exact same dis and lately i notice when i get above say 65-75 mph my car starts stumbling at high speeds,think this is a dis problem also?no check engine light on the sho though,but the sc the check engine light comes on...any suggestions? thanks

the Motorcraft module is made for Ford by Echlin.......same as NAPA. Echlin is an OE supplier for Ford and GM. funny when the DIS modules were on backorder forever, the NAPA module and the Ford module both came availible THE SAME WEEK!.....they are the exact same part. so is Borg Warner or Neihoff.....stay away from the 'el cheepo' brands like Wells...... If you are going thru modules you may have bad spark plug wires (too much resistance) or a bad cam sensor.... I replaced my module with the NAPA/Echlin one when my car was hard to start...I had the new module in the trunk so i threw it on and it seemed to fix it... Next day at work (I work at a NAPA store) i tested the old one and it was bad....... 3 months later, same thing......intermittent hard starting.........the NAPA module tested bad again so i replaced it under warranty, but i also bought a cam sensor too and put them both on at once.......I've had no problems for well over a year now. I know on the Ford TFI systems ( with the module on the distributor ) that the stator in the distributor can cause a module to fail, and it's basically the same thing as our cam sensor.......only difference is we don't have a distributor but the principle is pretty much the same i think. Oh and i assume you are using the Heat Sink compound that comes with the module!...... if not that is likely your problem.

yea when I replaced mine, used the wrong heat sink, and it went out two months later, got this Silver Thermal Compound which is like top of the line, $8 for a small tube but no problems since.

Yeah! Artic Silver 5, I used the same thing under my DIS.

thought i was being overly obsessive, but now... i've got friends. :)

ya i use the white lube that came with it.last wed. car wouldn't start.so thursday i put a another new dis in it.still was hard to start but finally did.but tach didn't work and check engine light was on.drove home and then wouldn't start at home.then the guys at napa said try a new cam sensor so i did.car started fine.then saturday.i had friend in the car and took off hard from a light and car just bogged down and had no power and was missing real bad.so i said screw it and my buddy at ford hooked it up to the computer.and everything checked out ok but the dis went again only after about 2 days.i just find it strange.but anyway now i have new dis and cam sensor and air temp sensor on it now let's see how it goes now.thanks for the advise people.also do u think i have dis problem with my sho?it's same dis as the sc.no check engine light but at highway speeds (65-85)car boggs and jerks.u think dis is screwing with the timing at higher speeds?doesn't miss at idle or anything and no check engine light.what u think?

Last edited:
MikeKanterakis, LOL ;)

umm......are the spark plugs new? Wires, etc? Dont over look simple stuff, fuel injectors, fuel pressure, fuel pump, etc

Try and get a used DIS thats how I got mine and people sell them for like $20 on the board. Use that Artic Silver Thermal compound and see what happens.

On the sho, pull the plug wires out and check for oil in the spark plug wells. Very common as the orings around them get hard and leak oil into them.

no i replaced everything on my sho about 20,000 miles ago,plugs,wires,valvecover gaskets(including the plug o rings)hoses,timing belt,radiator,240 lph fuel pump,fuel filter,underdrive pulleys,LPM chip,off road exhaust and etc..fuel preesure is fine.that was the first thing i looked at.engine is so clean u can eat off it.u would never tell it had 120,000 miles on it.i just stole a 90 sc for $300 :),maybe i'll swap the dis out and see if it makes a difference.

My 90 did the same thing. It got worse and worse until it wouldn't run over 2500 RPM. I thought ignition but it turned out to be low fuel pressure.

the Motorcraft module is made for Ford by Echlin.......same as NAPA. Echlin is an OE supplier for Ford and GM.
Actually, just a little FYI, Standard ignition manfuacturers the DIS module for Ford, Echlin and everyone else. Ford contracted them during the supply shortage time period and awarded them the rights of production.

Paul

Back