What is the deal with the radiator fans

ThunderDave

I'm noticing that mine starts to get very hot before the fan will come on. Did Ford design this way to scare the crap out of us like everything else on the car does??? Has anyone ever modded their on switch system to turn the fan on manually before it gets so hot? I can see how this wouldn't be such a bad idea if it's possible to do.

David

Dave I have found info on this through the search button on various FAN running options. There are a couple of different approaches folks have taken on fan operation.

Fans

ok, I'll check that out Doug. I was looking at getting some water wetter. It's almost 3:30 here and I should be asleep, just worrying about my son now and I'll try to get a little shut eye soon. Thanks for the thoughts.

David

Also keep in mind that the gauges are not consistent time to time and between cars. As a for-instance my car will not turn the fan on until the gauge is about halfway between the M and Hot. The fan will run about a minute and switch off so I know the cooling system temp is within the reasonable range despite the rather hair-raising reading on the gauge.

I think there is a TSB on coolant temp gauges for the earlier cars that says they should be replaced for reading high.

Back