Cougars, 5-speed/XR7/ all supercharged?

Well...that IS interesting. I know that 91-92 XR7 looed the same as the 3.8SCs but had the 5.0HO and auto. But that's an interesting find. It has the XR7 interior...kinda. You should ask if it was some sort of half-assed conversion.

It looks like a conversion of some type. Those style seats were later model years 94-97, I believe. Also the speaker covers are 94-97. And no automatic seatbelts.

Last edited:
Only thing I can tell that would lead me to believe that was ever an XR7 is the steering wheel. To my knowledge all 89-90 XR7's were SC's, and if there had been a factory freak im sure the folks at Cool Cats would have known about it by now. An 89-90 XR7 has "super charged" written on the side trim on the front fenders, dont see it on the pics. Plus it has the base model rims.

Yah, had to have been check out the gauges...digital was standard for the base model, XR7's got analog. Oh and below the side mirrors , behind the front wheels just above where it says supercharged on the trim there should be an XR7 emblem. hrmmm...:confused:

"On the outside, the LS was noted for the bright trim surrounding the windows, taillights, and molding."...."The XR7 once again carried a monochromatic paint scheme, available in Black, Bright Red, and Oxford White. The rims, however, were silver, not body color as with the 1988 XR7's. The trim was blacked out, and the grille and outside mirrors were body color."

"The dash panels were woodgrain (simulated) in the LS, and silver butcher-block style in the XR7, similar to the pattern used in the 1985-88 XR7's."

If I had to bet real money, looks like a hodge podge car. Hard to believe it would have XR7 trim and wood grain at the same time. Seats are incorrect for the year as stated above. Mexican or Canadian model parts required to use regualr belts on 89-93 interior.

On the otherhand, the fact that it has reagular seatbelts makes me think it's a Mexican car. There is no telling what was available south of the border.

Jerry

That is an odd one. The car has all the LS trim, black side molding, chrome grill, chrome around windows, LS wheels, wood grain, etc. Did anyone notice the switch panel on center console is missing the switches?? Makes me believe it is a conversion.
Very interesting!
Derek

thats got to be a conversion. I was looking at a 91 XR7 5.0 and its an auto, no 5 speed 5.0 XR7s were ever made. Makes me wonder how they could offer a S/C 3.8 with a 5 speed but not the all-mighty 5.0? Yep they were stupid in a no-stupid zone there.

the VIN # gives it away

well ...what it was
the rims to
the 5 speed throws me ..but the shifter is bend way back... so I don't think it's a M5R2 ...but a t-5 t-6 what ever they are ...dave

Last edited:
Someone should run a carfax on that one. That should tell you where it came from.

I have a 90 LS that is just as weird as that. It HAS the supercharged engine in it. :confused:

I just did a CarFax on that car and it is listed as:

Year/Make/Model: 1989 MERCURY COUGAR LS

Body Style: SEDAN 2 DR.
Engine: 3.8L V6 EFI
Fuel: GASOLINE
Driveline: REAR WHEEL DRIVE
Manufactured in: UNITED STATES
Safety Equipment: ABS Optional, Passive (automatic) belts

Standard Equipment: Power Windows, Power Steering, Air Conditioning, AM / FM, Power Brakes, Tilt Wheel Optional

Everything checked out except for the mileage:
Odometer Rollback Check:

CARFAX found no odometer rollbacks for this 1989 MERCURY COUGAR LS (1MEPM6046KH686329). Rollbacks reported in this section originate from readings collected by a DMV or other verifiable source.

Mileage Consistency Check:

CARFAX analyzed the mileage history for this 1989 MERCURY COUGAR LS (1MEPM6046KH686329) and found an inconsistent odometer reading. CARFAX is uncertain whether this is a rollback or a source-level clerical error. Please verify this mileage with your dealer or a qualified mechanic.

Reading reported on 02/27/2003: 168,087 miles
Inconsistent reading on 01/06/2004: 158,849 miles
No reading available for verification: Not available

Darn that didn't help much. Although it is an LS and not an XR7. It also states passive belts and US manufacture. I'd guess that someone did some crazy parts swapping of a wrecked XR7. Not much else to go on.

Hey any chance someone could do a carfax on this car? It shows 000812 on the odometer, but I am certain that is not right. I'd like to know the real mileage. 1MEPM604LH668304

That VIN that you list is missing 1 number or letter.. It's too short.. But I'll run it if you can tell me what the missing digit is..

It came back OK except for this:
Date:
Mileage Reading:
Source:
General Comments:

06/08/1990 NICB
Vehicle manufactured and shipped to original
dealer

05/26/1994 Ohio
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Mentor, OH
Title #4300106161
Title issued
Loan or lien reported

07/01/1994 Ohio
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Mentor, OH
Title #4300106161
Title issued
Loan or lien reported

02/12/1996 Ohio
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Mentor, OH
Title #4300106161
Title issued
Duplicate title issued
Loan or lien reported

02/22/1996 Ohio
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Mentor, OH
Title #4300106161
Title issued
Loan or lien reported

11/18/1996 15,007 Ohio
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Mentor, OH
Title #4300106161
Title issued
Loan or lien reported

10/06/2003 Ohio
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Cleveland, OH
Title #4301214306
Title issued
New owner reported

12/01/2003 834 Ohio
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Eastlake, OH
Title #4301234148
EXCEEDS MECHANICAL LIMITS TITLE ISSUED

CARFAX AdvisorTM
An EML title is issued when the owner discloses an odometer rollover to a DMV. Rollovers occur on vehicles with 5-digit odometers that go from 99,999 to 00,000 every 100,000 miles.

Mileage reported after this reading is potentially unreliable

12/03/2003 834 Ohio
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Madison, OH
Title #4301235006
New owner reported
EXCEEDS MECHANICAL LIMITS TITLE ISSUED

Tell us what you know about this vehicle

Detailed Vehicle History Definitions:

Exceeds Mechanical Limits
A vehicle with a 5-digit odometer cannot accurately track mileage after 99,999 miles because the odometer rolls over. This title is the result of a seller certifying under the Truth-in-Mileage Act, that the odometer reading EXCEEDS MECHANICAL LIMITS of the odometer.

Didn't the carfax give any mileages?

I bought the car from a junkyard. I am the most recent title holder. The car has obviously sat for many years. Everything about the car seems like new other than being really dirty and scratched up from stuff sitting on it and from someone attempting to break into it. The odometer shows 810 miles and that apears accurate for the motor as it is still on the original belts and filters and they look new. The motor runs excellent now although the gas that was in it was so old it wouldn't run when I got it. I put new spark plugs in and flushed the fuel out and it seems just like new.

It has a sticker on the door jam that says "Vehicle modified by Professional Trim Conversions" but the phone number is no longer valid. It had a stripes and two tone paint scheme that I have never seen before. The carpets and seats show no wear at all. The entire wire harness has been changed as has the dash panel. I mean how many MN12's do you know that have NO play in the door hinges?

I am in the process of putting the car back on the road, but I am really curious about the mileage. When the junkyard titled the car they put the "exceeds" statement on the title because they did not believe the odometer.

11/18/1996 15,007 Ohio
I just saw this. I bet that is the original mileage. It doesn't appear to have been driven much since that time. Judging from the mouse tracks, I'd say it was in a barn.

Back