Thread: What color were stock shocks?

What color were stock shocks?

I'm trying to figure out if my Tokikos were replaced. I thought I saw originals being black. Mine are white. Are they replacements?

Those are the Illumina II's. Yes, they've been replaced.
    Quote Originally Posted by Miller View Post
    Ya thats why i tape mine down. People think its bc i dont have a moonroof seal (which is true) but its really to keep my roof from ripping off .
    Email me here.

Thanks, I won't worry about replacing them soon. Do they normally last pretty long, seems they last laonger than regular shocks on other cars.

Sort of depends on how you drive and some luck at the dealership. For city/highway driving, you could expect the shock damping and springs to make it past 100,000. The electric actuator will last, but the valve that it turns may only make it for 75,000 before it sticks. The dealer will just replace the whole shock and the actuator when this happens for a combined cost of about $250. A knowledgeable owner will simply pop the actuator off, oil the pin, twist it around some, snap the actuator back on, and drive happy for another 20,000 miles for the cost of a can of 3-in-1 oil or about $2.50.

My originals were blue colored. After 75,000 miles they were so shot that I could compress them and they wouldn't move back. I replaced with Tokico Illumina II's and those lasted about 40,000 before total failure like the stockers. I got another pair of Tokicos which lasted about another 40,000 at which point I realized they were cr@p and got Bilsteins, which are a huge improvement in ride quality and durability.

Note: 40000 miles might not be too bad for a $20 Monroe, but for a $150 shock I expected better...