More obsolete parts

35th T-bird SC

I'm getting frustrated with Ford calling me and saying all the parts for our cars are not available. I ordered a boot for my shifter rebuild and they just called and told me it's not available anymore. I see people on here say they buy these parts all the time for the shifters. The shims are not available either. I put it back together with a torn boot if I have to. Maybe I can superglue the boot back together or something. Any suggestions?

Maybe it could be repaired? Possibly at a shoe repair shop or clothing? Maybe they could re-dye it too? I thought about that when I got the Mustang shifter knob, which isn't quite black, but I got used to it.

That's no the boot I'm talking about. It's the small boot inside the shifter that sells for around $35. The dealer called me back and gave me some dealer numbers in Jersey and PA that have them in stock. I called one of them and it's being shipped out today. Parts for this car are a dieing breed and it's looking like just leftover stock at dealerships being our only option for some things. Not all things because fortunatley we have aftermarket suppliers.

It does look like the number is being discontinued ... it's E9SZ 7277 A. However, lots of dealers still have them on the shelf, if you try a search on www.partsvoice.com.

cheers,
Ed Nicholson
SCCoO

Yeah, I wish they were still making all of the interior trim pieces. I wanted to get mine looking brand new, but that isn't quite possible. Gotta think of some alternatives.

Thats alot of incentive to own one of these cars is'nt it?
Better learn some skills to build what you need if your gonna continue to own one, or shell out big bucks to have everything custom made.:(

Yeah, I keep thinking I need to go ahead and track down a stamped front bumper cover. Never know when some jackass will back into you or pull out in front of you on the highway.

Ford Bites!!!!!!!!!

Let's face it as nice as SC's are (I've owned a 94 for past 10 years and loved every minute of it) Ford isn't interested in selling parts. They're interested in selling new vehicles. Unfortuneately, most SC enthusiasts would probably agree Ford hasn't come up with a viable alternative in terms of beauty, refinement & performance. I feel your pain.

We should make a list of known discontinued parts, possibly with pictures and post it in the FAQ. Aftermarket companies can see these and if they are making similar or related products it may be worth their while to reproduce some of these parts to sell to us. That boot for example would be almost impossible to "one off" for us but it may be a simple matter for a company already making boots for other things to make a mold if we were to send them a sample part, even a damaged one.

Back