new to SC's just got a 90' 5 speed. few ?'s

slipcoupe

whats up i just picked up a 1990 5 speed for $1300 yesterday. the trans has a little trouble going into 3rd and it has no 5th. what would be the best way of fixing this? should i replace the trans or just rebuild it? could i use the synchros out of a mustang transmission? sorry i am new to Ford vehicles, lol.

also, what rpm's should i shift from 1st to 2nd in? what about 2nd to 3rd? thanks. - mike

also, what does the 'ride control' do? and why is there no dome light? lol, its kind of annoying

Last edited:
If you're capable of rebuilding it I always suggest doing it yourself. If not, have someone rebuild it for you. The trannies in SC's are Mazda made M5R2's. You can't really just buy a new one. You can only find used rebuilt ones. Even that is a difficult task so your best option is to have yours rebuilt. The syncros in a Mustang tranny are going to be different, so no.

As far as your shifting goes we need to know if you mean under daily driving conditions or under race conditions.

The ride control adjusts the shocks to give you a stiff sporty ride when in the firm position and a soft smoother ride when in the auto position. Although, when the switch is in the auto position your car should switch to firm when you accelerate or take a hard corner. When you slow down it will switch back out of firm. In firm it also tightens up your steering.

No dome light? What do you mean no dome light?:confused:

Back