Intake Modifications (pics)

I find this very interresting and want to see some results before I rebuild my motor very soon so as I may do the same if it seems worth it!:D

Chris Walker said:
The problem I have here is understanding how the hell the thing runs lean. The injectors are right there at the head. It cant push THAT much air through the valve opening without the triangle can it? Hope someone has a mathematical explination for that. Please help me understand.

Chris

Chris the fuel pressure issue has to do with the fuel rail design. The injectors on the passengers side get higher fuel pressure than the drivers side. When watching injector pulse width activity the drivers side (bank 2) is always lower. You can adjust for this if you get each injector flow tested and then put the injectors that flowed higher on the drivers side.

That makes some sence but its been a while since I have done a test like that (at least 5 years) and I cant remember a time there was a problem that I even noticed a difference over like 2-3%.

BKB is your WHOLE triangle still in there?

Theres a fix for that fuel rail pressure problem in the works right now Fella's. No details yet except to say it involves a completely new fuel rail system.;)
More to come later.:cool:

Ohhhhhhhhhh thats just not right. Tasty little tidbits of information and then...the big "More to come later". You really know how to keep us beggin fer more...

Chris

Yes i built a new triangle out of sheet aluminum and welded it in there. You need something to support the intake.

So...we should not cut it out? Im confused. Why does it need support? Why cant I make a small support out of like a bolt or something of that nature? That would give me tons more volume and give me support. Im not trying to be a smart@$$ but half say it wont work and half say it will. This is a relatively big issue. The way I see it is like telling me I dont need tires and the car will drive fine.

Chris

All i said is it need support, any kind of support. Do the math and figure out how much pressure is pushing on the top of the intake at 15psi and you tell me why it needs support. The intake is very thin and about the worst quality aluminum i have ever seen. My idea was to weld in a 1'' rod in the middle for support but like i said the book i read said it is helpfull to have a deflector in the intake to direct air flow so i kept the triangle. I might remove the triangle after i modify the rear of the intake to enlarge the opening.

Think about this for a moment your radiator tubes oporate at 16 psi when the coolant reach's full temp. Those tubes at the most are only .020" wall thickness. why would 3/16"-1/4" thick Aluminum need bracing to hold up to 15 psi?:confused:

Manny your blower supports you intake..:O)

The cast aluminum Ford uses is junk..However I still think teh triangle is to divert airflow...Now...We need to speak to whomever designed this intake and end it once and for all:O)

well it is weak i can break it out with a small hammer if i wanted

i will take a picture of some scrapes from inverted its real thin and full of air holes amazing they dont leak

You will get just as much performance gain from bolting on a weedeater
on the end of the cold air pipe as your going to get from removeing
that triangle.

Manny didn't you replace the top of the manifold with about 1/2 inch aluminum.
What you have done is a lot stronger than a stock setup.

RANDY

PS a 2 horse weedeater would just **** an get.

I agree with you manny about the quality of the casting, its full of casting sand and gas pockets. You really have to work the TIG torch and throttle the amperage to cook all the crap out out of it.
Thats where a squarewave machine with a remote on it comes in handy. I would try to explain what the triangle is but it would'nt change many peoples mind.
I have 2 buddies that have a small foundry so you can probably now geuss what I'm up to. You see Randy! I do need a machinist.:D ;)

AH HAA CASTING A NEW MANIFOLD . IM WELDING A NEW ONE FROM 1/4 PLATE ALUMINUM oops sorry about the yelling damn caps key

my new one will have individual runners and a small 5x5 plenum sort of like a low torquer manifold,

and a water to air ic box that mounts on top of it then my inverted blower, and a ic box that mounts two m90s they will be turned slower than stock setup so lower heat more flow

if it works great if it dont oh well it"ll look good.

AH HAA CASTING A NEW MANIFOLD . IM WELDING A NEW ONE FROM 1/4 PLATE ALUMINUM oops sorry about the yelling damn caps key

my new one will have individual runners and a small 5x5 plenum sort of like a low torquer manifold,

and a water to air ic box that mounts on top of it then my inverted blower, and a ic box that mounts two m90s they will be turned slower than stock setup so lower heat more flow

if it works great if it dont oh well it"ll look good.

Attachments

• xxxxx.jpg
    xxxxx.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 269
It is just a flat plate welded onto the stock lower. This raised the blower a little over 1''.

Attachments

• sc.jpg
    sc.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 266
Back