Hole in timing chain cover!!!!

mikesc

I took my 90 in today to have what I thought was a bad front seal to be replaced (oil leak) and the mechanic told me there was a hole in the timing chain where the cam is located. Has anyone ever heard of this happening? The only thing I can think of is that somehow the that the bolt that holds the cam gear on came loose and punched a hole in the cover. Does this sound logical? Anybody else out there have any other ideas? This is a engine that was built by a guy in Canada it has maybe 1500 miles on it since the build and I have had nothing but problems from the start. Any other ideas would be appreciated....

Thanks,

Mike

I would think it is very possible...

The timeing chain cover is made out of very cheap pot mettle and are know to bust and crack when removing them ... Be careful when removing yours there is a allen bolt on the bottom that can't be seen and needs to be removed do not pry on it untill you are sure all nuts and bolts have been removed or it will bust and crack....

hmm my mechanic calls and tells me I need a new timing cover, I wonder if they cracked it... oh well... nothing I can do . A new one is only $220 so oh well not that bad.

Billabong089,
I can get you a new one at dealer's cost. Let me know if you want it. I have a guy at a local ford dealer in PA.

Are you located in NJ? I am located just outside of Philly.
Later
Ken

Back