Regarding Supercharger oil

pirulo

I know I saw several articles about Supercharger oil for our cars before, but I couldn't find any in my search. Lot of folks asked to by from GM, which is cheaper than ford. Shall I ask them for turbo oil or supercharger oil, or if any one can point to those articles I would greatly appreciate.

thanks

What does the service manuals have to say about the supercharger fluid replacement time frame.The Ford manual just says to check fluid levels and add when necessary.I am not sure but i remember seeing something about changing the fluid on a GM vehicle at a specified mileage interval.

My Ford manual doesn't give a change period for either the supercharger, manual trans. or the rear differencial. So I changed all mine at 100,000m. It does say to check the supercharger every 30,000m & top-off (And,that should only be necessary if the front seal is weeping a bit).

Listen to this. I went to the Ford dealer today to get some sc oil. The last few times I needed some it was about $12 canadian. The guy puts it on the counter and says "that will be $36.50". :mad: For a 4 ounce **** bottle. I said what are you sick. He said well you can check around but, like he's got me by the balls. So I called a few performance shops and nothing. So I call the GM dealership and he says yeh we got some, $5.18 a bottle. :) I said cool I'll see ya tommorrow. The blowers on the SC and the Grand prix GTP are the same unit. Eaton M90 I think. What a scam. So for all you guys go to the GM dealer they are good for one thing at least.
Later

I just went to the GM dealer today and they said that there was nothing in the computer for supercharger oil. Does anyone have a part# or know a different place to get it?

I bought the supercharger on 04/02/04.
The part# is 12345982 OIL-SUPER 8.800.
Price is $6.58 + tax in California. Hope this helps.

good luck :)

From what I can tell, the Ford fluid is better and really is good for the life of the car. But there's this slight problem with seals that wear and allow that good fluid to leak out over time. So the GM fluid tends to be more practical. The fluid level should probably be checked every year at a minimum.

J57ltr said:
Gm Fluid is the same as the Ford fluid. Jeff
GM Supercharger Oil P/N: 12345982

GM oil contains Fatty acids, c5-10, esters with dipentaery thritol,
Phosphoric acid, phenyl diphenyl ester.

Ford Synthetic Supercharger Fluid P/N: E9SZ-19577-A

Ford fluid contains Butylated Triphenyl Phosphate and PentaeryThriTol Ester.

Both come in 4 oz plastic bottles.
They are different compounds but compatible.

Check around some more because here are several threads that differ.

Regardless it doesn't matter.

Jeff

TbirdSCFan said:
GM Supercharger Oil P/N: 12345982

GM oil contains Fatty acids, c5-10, esters with dipentaery thritol,
Phosphoric acid, phenyl diphenyl ester.

Ford Synthetic Supercharger Fluid P/N: E9SZ-19577-A

Ford fluid contains Butylated Triphenyl Phosphate and PentaeryThriTol Ester.

Both come in 4 oz plastic bottles.
They are different compounds but compatible.

This is interesting TbirdSCFan, where did you get this information?

Questions regaurding the similarity of the GM and Ford fluids have existed for a long time now here, and if there was a verifiable source of data for the composition of each one it could definately provide some very useful information!

It would also be interesting to know the source of these fluids from GM and Ford..

Off the labels on the bottles. :cool: The Ford fluid is synthetic; the GM fluid is not. The 2 smell very different too. The Ford stuff stinks.

TbirdSCFan said:
Off the labels on the bottles. :cool: The Ford fluid is synthetic; the GM fluid is not. The 2 smell very different too. The Ford stuff stinks.

Last I heard ester was a Synthetic.

Jeff

I really don't care what you folks shove in the case, its your SC and if you want to use maple syrup and say its just as good, go ahead. Ford did what they did for whatever reasons they did it. GM and Eaton found a way to cut a corner and lower the cost. Was GM wrong to do what they did???... No, they weren't; there are practical reasons for using their oil. Its not a lot different from getting a low bid to have your transmission rebuilt with cheaper parts knowing that it won't live as long. You do this with the knowledge that you won't keep the car. There is an entire market of low grade parts which meet this purpose and nothing wrong with it. I have the GM stuff in my SC, but it is not the same, and likely not as good.
The reason I'm not concerned is I check the fluid regularly. If I were average Joe consumer, and didn't do that, then having a lifetime fluid in a newly sealed SC which I wouldn't have to touch for 100,000 makes more sense than cheap fluid, doesn't it? Ford sells cars to many average Joes. :rolleyes:

Back