Supercoupe Whipple Charger application one step closer to production today.

Again, great job on the blower Dave. With all of your hard work and dedication to the T-Bird cause, I'm starting to think you even bleed blue!

Micah

This system includes modified stock fuel rails, a new inlet, a new outlet which will be customized for your individual needs, all mounting hardware, a custom bypass, and a modified return plenum. It will work with stock intercoolers or any upgrade you want to throw at it. So to answer directly, NO the MP inlet/outlet are of no use to you with these blowers. They will be available in the semiflat black finish seen in the pictures or in chrome/polished aluminum for the Gary Kuhn types. :D

This system requires NO modifications to your car or motor and can simply be removed and returned to stock in a matter of a couple of hours. Certainly upgrades will be required to keep up to the flow potential of these blowers, but from an installation standpoint no modifications are made to the car.

No pre-orders required. :) This system will be available to as many or as few as want to have it. I think the dyno results will be the deciding factor. ;) Those should be available in about 1 weeks time. This will come together in time for all to see in person at Carlisle. There may also be a few running around before then... Stay tuned.

XR7 Dave

"Dave have a question"
What kind of performance do you think an engine like mine running 11's without nitrous vs an engine like Gary Kuhn's that needs Nitrous to run 11's? I am at 19 1/2lbs of boost with my Dads home ported M-90. your setup will be getting 20lbs boost is there much improvement there?

I think Gary without Nitrous and your setup mite be close to my M-90 and performance what is your opinion? also would like to add very nice work Dave on your setup! very well thought out and planed

Last edited:
Jim, rather than answer your question, I will pose another which I would love to be able to answer. "What would your 11 sec. motor be capable of with a blower such as this?" That is the real question.

I am sure you are familiar with both the differences and similarities between a roots blower and a screw blower. Both bowers make more or less "instant boost", and both blowers are capable of maintaining said boost level regardless of rpm until such time as the rpm limits of the blower are reached. The screw design simply does less "beating" of the air and actually manages to perform a certain amount of compression of the air while still in between the rotors. This results in a much more efficient "boost" meaning less heat is generated at similar boost levels. Less heat means less chance of detonation and more boost capability on any given grade of fuel. What this means is that while at the same boost levels, the available HP is greater and also the less intercooling is necessary.

But perhaps the biggest advantage of this blower is its ability to perform above and beyond where I have it set now (which is its MOST basic level). I have the largest available pulley on it right now and it is turning at about 11000rpm @ 5500rpm. This blower has the ability to run over 17000rpm which would generate well over 30psi in our 3.8 motor. It's called headroom and this blower has tons of it.

I really shouldn't have said anything about the boost level it is achieving in my stock SC right now as that information is really quite irrelevant. I was just amazed that it would make that kind of boost without resulting in massive detonation or belt slippage. How much boost it can safely generate in a properly prepared motor is what will be more important. Perhaps we could tempt you to try it one day just for the heck of it. ;)

Thanks Dave

Thanks for the feedback!
Yes your right how would it do with a 3.8 like mine my Dad always said this engine wants more air than we can give it. he did all the porting thinking to get my M-90 to go to such boost levels. your setup is awesome plus the whipple can go to much higher boost leavels with an engine like mine that has run 11's without Nitrous it would show its true performance. I mite someday try your setup very nice work Dave.

I hope you meet all your goals with it becouse its well thought out best of luck to you on the track and dyno looks nice Dave

Last edited:
What kind of performance do you think an engine like mine running 11's without nitrous vs an engine like Gary Kuhn's that needs Nitrous to run 11's? I am at 19 1/2lbs of boost with my Dads home ported M-90. your setup will be getting 20lbs boost is there much improvement there?

Jim that is kind of a knock on me and my car again is it not?

Do you know what my cars runs with out nitrous? :(
Could you drive a 5 speed into the 11's? with or without N2o

I have absolutly no desire to exceed my 11.75. The whipple will probably not give me the HP I need to drive a 5 speed quicker than that without nitrous.

I would be thrilled if I could get a additional 50rWHP over my current set-up to get over the 400rwhp level. What is your engine put out Jim?

I am not taken anything away from auto guys because I wish I had one for racing, but driving a fast 5 speed down the track is like bull riding.

Better add to your signature :fastest with-out Nitrous, with-out whipple and
without a 5 speed :D

I love ya man!!! :p

XR7 Dave said:
Certainly upgrades will be required to keep up to the flow potential of these blowers,

What kind of upgrades will be needed? What would have to happen to a mainly stock engine? What about headgaskets? I worry about blowing them at 11 pounds of boost, but 30!

Dave,

Nice work...figures you would do this right after I installed a new polished MPII. I'll be watching for those dyno results and if they come out where I think they are going to...I'm going to need one to stay competive around here.

Then again I've got the v8 turbo SC going together to sastisfy my need for speed, so I may have to wait another year for the whipple.

David

I've seen a few post concerning HG reliability with this new supercharger. My understanding is that HG failure is due mainly to excessive heat. Not high boost. However, high boost and excessive heat generally go hand-in-hand with the M90. However, a more efficient supercharger can actually produce the same boost a much lower temperatures. So, higher boost is achievable with the lower temps. The end result is lower combustion temps even with more air. So I don't think that there will be a lot of a reliability issue with this blower. At least at the 20 psi level. Higher boost levels will require some other mods. I would recommend any of the normal mods associated with protecting the HG from failure, i.e. exhaust, better IC, etc. I would be completely comfortable running up to 20lbs of boost in my mostly stock SCs. Infact, both of them are currently running 15 lbs with the M90.

I can't wait to see numbers on this system as well as a price and schedule of availability. I'll have to sell my '89 to be able to purchase these mods, but I'm looking forward to it, greatly.

Give us those dyno #'s as soon as you get them Dave. I'm also interested to see how they'd run on some quality heads like Steigemeyer's as well. If you have that availability...

Blower

David when you decide to up grade let me know and I'll take that old nasty polished blower off your hands. It would look real good under my hood :D

I thought this package was supposed to be available in February....?

Either way, the $$ is sitting in the bank waiting for it to be ready, with leftovers for a set of Steiggy heads.

Anxious in Az.

yeah those auto guy need it because they cant drive like a real man with a 5 speed :D j/k i know auto are faster , and sometimes is very difficult to launch with the 5 speed.

the solution :D get a auto and a 5 speed . :)

30 lbs, thats as much as a good turbo setup.. lol!

How loud might this blower be in comparison to the m90 at various levels of flow enhancement?

Also, just out of curiousity, anywhere I could find some general information reguarding the temperature differences between a roots and screw type SC?

Ok, now I REALLY gotta have one. What do you think the time frame is on this so I can start saving?

ooooooooh *drool*

one question... will this be able to be adapted to say a MP FMIC? or is a custom one going to be needed?

And this will work with a ram air cervinis?

I thought this package was supposed to be available in February....?
It was. As usual some things did not work out as expected. We are on track to release it soon though. Updates will be posted as they occur.
How loud might this blower be in comparison to the m90 at various levels of flow enhancement?
It's louder. It's hard to be any more specific than that. :cool:
What do you think the time frame is on this so I can start saving?
We should have a couple of these on test cars during the month of May. Release will follow ASAP.
one question... will this be able to be adapted to say a MP FMIC? or is a custom one going to be needed?
And this will work with a ram air cervinis?
Yes and yes. :)

i have a couple of questions. what size injectors and pump would you recomend? 42 psi and 255 lph? and is the hood clearence still an issue with stock hoods? if so anyone know where i can get a cheap hood???? so with stock pistons, rods, and all that, you think the engine will still be ok as a daily driver?? i hope so and i look foward to smoking some TAs and z28s!!!

Back