Questions about stock and aftermarket tach opinions

fastsc92

Ok, I've always wanted to get a nice autometer tach with a memory recall. However, I think they look out of place in our cars. So...i ended up getting a stand alone shift light. That way it has function, and looks small and clean. However, it seems to flicker at low rpm's(below 1000). Its a proform light and the brand alone might be the problem, but I've added diodes in line with the signal wire and still have the same problems. Anyways, I'm leaning more to getting an aftermarket tach with shift light and a recall. I dont want any white face stuff...just the simple sport comp black face....matches the stock and matches my other autometer stuff. I dont know where to install it so its not rice looking, and just looks clean in general. The stock tach just isn't quick enough and seems to show the RPM where i WAS 5 sec later. That just isn't smooth enough for me. I also like having a recall option at the track as it helps with seeing where i spun and if i shifted late. Anyways, I came across this unit from summit that makes your stock tach a memory tach ( http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=SUM-800100 ) and was thinking about just getting that. However i'm still stuck with the lousy stock tach performance, the flickering shift light, but it'll look nice and clean.
Now maybe the flickering is just something with our ignitions but i've hooked the signal wire up to 3 different spots with the same results and even got a tach adapter that uses the +pos coil signal with the same results. Maybe i should get an autometer shift light. I'm just open to opinions here on what i should do...etc. Post away! thanks

Have you looked into the idea of replacing the stock tach with a 5" autometer? I don't think it would be that hard to do.

do you even think it would fit? I see it hard to do...without making it look like a hack job.

Go to a junk yard and get a sport dash from a regular Tbird for a couple bucks and hack that up for practice. I think if you mounted the tach through the black trim (under the lens) it would look smooth.

I flush mounted my tach where the headlight switch was. It looked good, but I found it hard to look at when racing.

Back