Offical SC/XR7 2004 Shootout Rules

Wzenheimer

General Rules

1. All vehicles for heads up competition must be an R Code 1989-1990 Mercury Cougar XR7 or 1989-1995 Thunderbird Supercoupe.

2. Any MN12 Chassis may run in Bracket classes only.

3. All classes must meet and follow current NHRA or IHRA safety requirements and submit to track tech inspections. Track tech inspector decisions will be final.

4. All classes are also subject to Shootout Tech inspection.

5. All drivers/participants must be at least 18 years of age.

6. There will be no driver changes allowed after eliminations begin. All drivers must be registered with the shootout. Each car may be entered only once in any heads up class and only once in any bracket class for a total of two entries. Both entries must be seperately registerd with the shootout in advance to the event. There will be no parts changes after eliminations begin.

7. Use of power adders (Nitrous Oxide, Nitro or any of its derivatives) are only allowed where the rules specifically state such use.

Street Stock Class

Any modifications not specifically listed in these rules will not be
allowed.

1. Exterior:
Body kits, wings, spoilers, fender extensions and all other cosmetic body modifications are allowed. Such modifications must not serve any other purpose. All original body panels must be present and function as originally designed.

2. Interior:
Stock interior must be retained. Panels may be modified for any cosmetic reasons but must not be removed. All factory equipment must be retained including but not limited to A/C, radio, power seats, power windows, etc.

3. Wheels/tires.
a. Tire width is unrestricted however rubber must not extend past stock bodywork. Tires must be of radial construction and have a UTQG treadwear rating of 120 or higher. Competition tires prohibited. Space saver tires prohibited.

b. Wheels are unrestricted provided they do not protrude from the body.

4. Engine.
a. Exhaust must include catalytic converters and mufflers. Must be of
reasonable volume and must exit under the rear bumper. Headers are allowed.

b. Intake for this purpose includes everything up to and including the throttle body. There can be no openings made in the body for the purpose of air intake(scoops, ram air, etc). Intake tubes such as they fit the above requirement are unrestricted. MAF meters & throttle bodies are unrestricted.

c. All stock engine accessories must be present and operational (belts may not be removed nor short belts used). Aftermarket pulleys are allowed and unrestricted.

d. Engine modifications (valve covers to oil pan) are not allowed.

e. Supercharger modifications are not allowed. Raised stock-type outlets permitted.

f. Intercooler fans are permitted. Icing of the IC or any other artificial cooling methods prohibited.

5) Transmission and rear end.
a) All stock IRS components must be retained. Gear ratios are unrestricted.

b) Clutch/flywheel must be stock type replacements, torque converters must retain stock stall speeds and function. Shift kits allowed. Line locks not allowed.

6) Fuel:
Pump gas required (max octane 94). No fuel additives or oxidants (nitro or alchohol based) allowed.

7) Computer tuning:
Unrestricted.

Modified Class

1) Exterior:
Same as Street Stock class except that vents/scoops allowed for air intake only.

2) Wheels/Tires:
Wheels same as Street Stock, tires same as street stock except that DOT street legal radial construction competition tires may be used.

3) Interior:
Same as Street stock except that competition seats and rollbars permitted.

4) Engine:
a) Exhaust: Mufflers must be used, no cutouts allowed.
b) Intake: Defined as components prior to and including throttle body. Open and unrestricted.
c)Any pulleys may be used, any belts may or may not be used or modified. Accessories not required (eg. A/C).
d) Engine modifications: Internal modifications allowed. Stock camshaft must be used.
e) 1-M90 supercharger only. Modifications allowed. Inlet and outlet
unrestricted.
f) Any intercooler, tubing, and cooling devices may be used.

5) Transmission and rear end:
a) Trans brake prohibited. All other transmission modifications allowed. Must be an OE type transmission. Line locks allowed.
b) Differentials unrestricted, must retain all IRS components.

6) Fuel:
Pump gas or racing gasoline allowed. No fuel additives allowed, alchohol injection not allowed. Nitrous allowed based on the following. *Vehicle must meet all requirements of Street Stock class with the exception of the use of nitrous.*

7) Computer:
Open and unrestricted.

Pro Street class

1) Exterior:
Same as modified class. Lightweight panels allowed as long as original function is retained.

2) Interior:
Same as Modified class except passenger seats may be removed.

3) Wheels/tires:
No restrictions.

4) Engine:
a) Exhaust system required. No open headers, mufflers required.

b) Intake, accessories, ignition, computer, all unrestricted.

c) Must be 3.8L or 4.2L block, all other engine modifications allowed. Cylinder heads unrestricted.

d) Any form of forced induction allowed.

e) Intercoolers unrestricted.

5) Transmission and rear end. Must be IRS, otherwise unrestricted.

6) Fuel:
Any gasoline allowed. Alchohol injection allowed but may NOT be the primary source of fuel. Nitrous injection allowed based on the following. * Car must comply with Modified Class rules with the exception of the use of nitrous.*

Pro Mod Class

1) Car must be an R code SC/XR7 by VIN. No exceptions. Car need not be registered or street legal.

2) Car must look like an SC/XR7. This includes GFX, bumper covers, roof-line, etc. Body panels may be replaced with lightweight components. Original function need not be retained.

3) Engine must be Ford based.

4) All forms of forced induction allowed.

5) Alternate fuel sources allowed.

Bracket Classes

Heavy Street Class:
True street tires (UTQG 120 or higher). Must be MN12 chassis with Ford power. Buy-back first 2 rounds, $20 each. Winner takes all.

Pro-ET:
Must be MN12 chassis with Ford power. Minumum 13.5 dial in. Entry fee $10, buy back first round only, $20. Winner takes all.

Dyno Rules

The dyno competition will be broken down into 4 classes Street Stock, Modified, Pro Street, and Pro Modified.

Each class will follow the same rules as for the track class breakdowns. In addition to those rules, the following rules will apply on the dyno.

1) Use of NOS (nitrous oxide) prohibited.

2) Each participant gets 2 pulls to produce their max TQ and HP. The maximum numbers will be used. (Example: If the max HP is from pull #1 and max TQ from pull #2.)

3) If the dyno has a malfunction or if the car downshifts a 3rd pull will be allowed.

4) No tuning will be allowed between pulls.

5) Torque converter locking is allowed as long as the person does not change any other transmission or tuning settings during competition (locked for HP and unlocked for torque).

6) A HP spike will not be counted as your highest HP. We are trying to achieve true actual performance numbers. Knowing how to manipulate a dyno and release the throttle at the right moment to achieve a HP spike will not be counted.

Why restrict camshaft in mod class?

Seems like we should be able to have a modified camshaft for the modified class? Why the restriction to use only a stock cam?

Dan,
I would say it is the same as saying stock Long block, since most would not modify their cam w/o doing there heads also. Any other internal mod will not make a noticable HP difference.

You are pro mod all day long Dan so quit trying. :D

regrind

mod class or soon to be the Nitrous Oxide class ..says stock cam.. doesn't say anything about reginding ...stock cam profile :rolleyes:

also is a bhj harmonic blancer allowed in street stock ? not stock and it's not a pulley and between the heads and oil pan ....ok pushing it here :p

how fast can you go... before you need to have a cage or go home ?

see you all there ....dave

Would a regrind be considered a "stock cam"?
Also, in Mod class it would be legal to run H-beam rods and custom pistons modified heads, who in their right mind would do all that and keep a stock cam?
Gary, I'm gonna keep trying for Mod class so I don't have to run against you whipple guys! :)

how are you gonna enforce these rules? Are you gonna tear down each motor that wins each class to inspect? I mean someone coudl say they have a stock cam or stocklongblock or whatever, how is anyone to know? Mods on motors seems to be a big secret over here you never know what people have. Well at least cam specs are. NOt saying people are cheaters but if it gives someone the edge to win saying htey have a stock this or that and they don't how are you gonna enforce that, just curious.

I like the setup you guys have though, lots of different classes for people to enter, nice variety, makes me wish I had more then just the SC motor hahaha :D

Thanks Jamie!

As for the cam, it is pretty simple really. If the car won't pull stock vacuum it will get the option to move up or go bracket. We don't plan to do motor teardowns to verify mods. We will bring a real vacuum gauge to test motors.

Oh, and a BHJ balancer is considered a maintenance item, not a performance modification. ;)

Dan, I don't see too many 3.8's capable of anything faster than last year. Remember that true 3.8's have run 11.9's already and none of those individuals are standing in line for a Whipple at this point. I think that low 12's are going to be needed to be competitive in the Pro Street category this year regardless.

I'm thinking that the Pro ET class is the place to be this year. We went over many different scenarios for Mod class rules. The problem is that if you look at all of us in the mod class last year, we were a real motley bunch. We really had nothing in common other than we ran about the same ET's. Some had front mounts, some didnt. Some had forged internals, some didn't. Some were full weight, some were not. See what I mean? From here out we are looking for the real "tough guys" to run in the Pro Mod class. Let's face it. If we don't encourage some people to go fast with the resources to do so, the bar will never be raised.

We are looking into the possibility of having the Pro ET class run on a pro tree as well. It will be a lot of fun.

:D

I'm probably going to race in the Pro Mod class, so I can use nitrous with a non-stock cam.

It should also be mentioned that the track we are racing on this year is an IHRA track and I believe you can run as quick as 11.500 without a rollbar and 5 point harness.

David

Nitrous allowed based on the following. *Vehicle must meet all requirements of Street Stock class with the exception of the use of nitrous.*
I plan on running in the mod class ,so since I dont have converters, I will not be able to run nitrous?

Are m/t e.t. streets or BFG drag radials allowed in the mod class?

Also since my battery is in the trunk, will I need to have a shut off switch?

super red91 said:
Nitrous allowed based on the following. *Vehicle must meet all requirements of Street Stock class with the exception of the use of nitrous.*
I plan on running in the mod class ,so since I dont have converters, I will not be able to run nitrous?

Are m/t e.t. streets or BFG drag radials allowed in the mod class?

Also since my battery is in the trunk, will I need to have a shut off switch?

Your car appears to be legal in Mod Class if you run drag radials and no nitrous. Converters are not required in Mod Class. If you want to use your nitrous and/or ET Streets, you will be in the Pro Street class. With a trunk mounted battery you will have to add an external cut-off switch regardless of class.

With a trunk mounted battery you will have to add an external cut-off switch regardless of class.

Does this mean im gonna have to make a hole in my bumper? Where is a good place to mount this switch?

No, you don't have to cut bumper or lights. A couple of people have mounted a switch under the car and had a handle poking out of the vents in the back that can be taken off for street use.

Another option is to make plate that fits in the location of the stock taillight. You can remove the tailight at the track and pop the switch in. Both tailights are not required to be working at the track, only one. I've done this and it works pretty well not to mention it requires no mods to the car at all.

It should also be mentioned that the track we are racing on this year is an IHRA track and I believe you can run as quick as 11.500 without a rollbar and 5 point harness

Nice try Dave- It should also be mentioned that in Ohio you can marry your sister, but we encourage everyone to use the National rules and not find loop holes. :D

We are looking into the possibility of having the Pro ET class run on a pro tree as well. It will be a lot of fun

Alot of fun for who? Dont get confussed with Pro ET and Pro drivers- WE aint got no

Gary,

The rules committe already agreed that if it's an IHRA track that we will use IHRA safety rules. I don't have a copy of the IHRA rules YET, but I'm told you don't need a rollbar or harness until 11.499.

If thats true I'll race in Pro Mod and or Pro ET and spray only as much as I need to stay legal. There are probably only a handful of 11 second MN12s, so my chances are pretty good. Unfortunatly the 347 turbo won't be done in time.

David

Well just to stir the pot.

I think the WHIPPLES AND AR blowers should be bump up from the PRO STREET CLASS to the PRO MOD CLASS .

When the rules were made the RWHP numbers were not in yet on the screw blowers.Now that they are,and to be fair,they should run PRO-MOD CLASS.

I can take it so let the wines begin.

RANDY

Instead of bumping the whipples up to the Pro-mod class, just allow the Modified class to run a non-stock cam. The Modified rules really don't make much sense to me. A camshaft modification is one of the primary engine modifications on any car, yet the Modified class allows ANY engine modification other than camshaft.
The Modified class could use similar rules as the Fastest SC list rules.
Then let Pro-Street class be like last year with strokers and turbos and whipples, solid axels, etc.

Last edited:
Slysc
That was done last year.And did not work well.We had cars with 5 bolt ons,with stock motors.Running aganst cars with STEG heads,cams,ect
that would run in the 13s to 12s aganst 14.5to 15sec cars.The gap needed to be closer between stock class and the next class so more people would enter,and have closer racing.

Now the same thing will happin in the Pro-street class people will not enter if they think they are going to be beat half the track.With people running a Whipple or AR blowers.If these car are not bumped up,I think nitrous should be olloud with cam.

There are two stock type classes.STREET STOCK CLASS and STOCK MODIFIDED CLASS.

And two modified classes PRO-STREET and PRO-MOD.

I beleive to be fair and cover every one better there should of been a class for you added between the street MODIFIED CLASS and the PRO-STREET CLASS.

But the argument for not adding a class to be fair.Was there is not enough cars to enter to have another class to close the gap in performance mods between the classes,To have door to door racing.Same argument last year.
So again this year we will have people not enter.Its just in a higher class this year.

The only fair way to fix the performance gap is to add a class.Last year and again this year.

RANDY

Last edited:
Back