headlight problem help!!

9349petesc

The headlights on my sc works intermittently. I'll be driving and all of sudden the lights will go out. A few minutes pass and they go on again. This happens repeatedly. Obviously this isn't a problem during the day, but it presents a major headache at night. Can anyone help?? :mad:

I dont know much about this but if you have automatic diming lights you might want to mess around with those casue they could be a problem? :confused:

check your multifunction switch (turn signal lever) for a loose connection
or you may have to bite the bullet & get a new switch from Ford. I had the same problem and a new switch solved it. hope this helps.

GOOD NEWS. For those of us who are experiencing headlight problems associated with the switch, the is a safety recall in effect through Ford. So instead of spending your hard earned money let Henry fix it. Thanks for all the advice.
Peter

I have a 1994 With the switch on the dash and my Daytime running lights keep turning on and off but when I manully turn the switch on they stay on.
Can this be the same problem???

From all the posts I've read there appears to be many problems associated with the headlight system. There is a safety recall, actually there are 3 safety recalls, for 93 birds. I'd check to determinbe if the same recalls apply to the 94's.

Flickering Fix

I just fixed that exact problem today. It was my headlight pull switch and wiring harness. There was a recall on the switch and wiringing but on my '90 SC, the recall was not active anymore. Got to http://www.ford.com and click on the link dealing with customer service or somthing like that. There is a recall page that you simply plug in your VIN and it will tell you exactly what active recalls are on your car. If it is not on the page then you have to fix it yourself.

So, to get to the switch, take of the driveside portion of the dash (obviously).
It is very easy. First pull the headlight pull switch knob off. Just pull. Next, it might make it easier to pull the dash out if you first take off the housing around the steering column. Directly behind the steering wheel in a small housing about two inches wide. Take that off by pulling out on the seem on the left side of that housing and then take it off. Then there are three screws on the underside of the main steering column housing.

Next, there are two philips head screws under the overhang on the dash. After you unscrew them, just pull then whole front part of the dash out. It easily pops. There are just small metal retainers that hold it in place. Now your switch is easily exposed just unscrew the aluminum nut on the front off the switch and pull the switch out from the whole on the side there.

On my car, the red/yellow wire was blackened at the connector and the plug was cracked and charred brown. Unreal!

To make sure, after taking of the dash I ran the car with my lights and fogs on until they started blinking. Sure as hell that wire was as hot as hell and when I tapped on it, it would flicker as well.

The switch itself might not be bad but, they redesigned it because of this problem so I'd get the switch as a well as the wiring assembly.

part # Motorcraft SW 5543 for Wiring assembly
part # Motorcraft SW 5542 for Switch

With the wiring they give you the crimp locks so you just have to cut, strip, and splice the wires and plug the other end it and your done!

I hope this helps.

Peace,
Anthony

Replacing the headlamp switch (recall or not) or having to replace the muli-purpose switch is only a temporary solution. Follow the link above or search this site for historical data. Bottom line is too much amperage is going thru the combined headlight/fog light circuits for the stock wiring to handle - so get the wiring harness from Competition Lighting or Jegs (about $40-50 without bulbs). This uses the stock wiring to just switch the relays on/off and, you can then feel free to upgrade your lamp wattages as well if you want.

Does anyone have any valid info on these recalls?. I called ford and they have "zero" recalls...are they just ******* with me?

Nates93s/c

Here is what is up with recall these days....you have 10 yrs from the start of the warrenty... You must produce all paper work saying that you are the original owner...If you bought it used and under warrenty it is still valid but you must produce the paper work...

I just saw some a recall paper on the new cougars for faulty fuel pumps apperently they are weak and can cause stalling and sputtering espically when under a 1/4 tank...So anybody who has a new style couger has 10 yrs from start of warrenty to have it replaced courtesy of FOMOCO....

I had a faulty head light switch in my 89 SC tried to use the recall... They wouldn't let me because I was not the original owner didn't have the paperwork and car was out of warrenty... Had to fork over 25.00 for a new switch... GOOD LUCK

Go to NHTSA.com web site. Follow the selections for Recalls. Enter the Ford Thunderbird (no later than 1993 - for some reason they don't list it after that year) and you'll find the headlight recall. Select & print the summary, it'll give you the recall #99V275000 or Ford # 99S30 which goes back to the 1999 model year. It also gives you a number to call for Ford & NHTSA if you need help. Always remember if you buy a used car, and can get the original owners handbook, fill out the ownership change card, it'll keep you on the recall list. I did this on a 1987 Honda, which I bought several years old & Honda still notified me and took care of 2 recalls for free ( a bad fuel fill pipe and a seat belt anchor).
Good luck,
Jim.

did the recall that metalman had spoke of and my car came up 92 sc looks like a free fix about the only one so far very happy...........LOL:) :)

replacing the multifunction switch is a temporary solution. I've replaced 3 so far (on my third). It all started when i put in these sylvania superwhite bulbs. anyway, go to a wrecker ($10.00 CDN) for a new MFS to fix it temporarily, then put back the stock bulbs.

I am going to try to chnage my wiring harness this summer so i can put in my superwhites again...

hioutputbulbs site is down. any way i can find this wiring harness somewhere else? maybe a part #?

Back