1993 Mustang Cobra rims

ThunderDave

When I first saw the 93 Cobra, I thought the rims looked really good. I think that is the only year fox body Cobra they made. I've noticed some Thunderbird LXs have the same rims or at least they look the same. Are they? To me, they don't look as good on the Thunderbird as they do on the Cobra. Maybe it's because it's an LX. How would they look on an SC? They are probably 15" rims though, so I don't know how well that would work. Does anyone know the rims I'm talking about? I wish I'd found a pic to attach.

David

"I think that is the only year fox body Cobra they made. "

Yes it is and mine only has 38,000 miles on her, Ford produced 4993.

Red Rio 1775; Red Vibrant 9; Teal 1355; Black 1854;

Out of the 1775 Red Rio 107 were Cobra R's
What is cool is they are already considered a collectors item!

"I've noticed some Thunderbird LXs have the same rims or at least they look the same. Are they"

No, they are not the same!

The '93 Cobra rims are 17 x 7.5 and the "fans" are wider. The T-bird wheels are 15 x ? and the "fans" aren't as wide and IMO look like crap! You wouldn't believe how many people come up to me and ask why I put T-bird wheels on my Mustang. I then proceed to explain that it is a '93 Cobra and most don't even know that they exist.

Any other questions I would be happy to answer, as I like talking about my '93 Cobra as much as I like talking about my '94 SC 5-spd.

Dale

I am pretty sure the T-bird wheels are 15x7. I think they came on '93 - '95 LX's.

I have a set that came on the 1995 Anniversary LX I have. I much prefer the '95 style SC wheels I have on it now. But I will probably keep the LX wheels around, maybe mount some slicks on them or something.

Cobra

There was a guy in our neighborhood that had one. His was red, not sure if it was the vibrant or rio. I loved the way the rims looked on there and thought they looked similar, but just a little different than the tbird rims. Now I know why. Are they a 5 lug pattern like the SC or a 4 lug like the other GTs? I still think they would look good on an SC if it could be done.

SC'er, do you have any pics of your Cobra you could post?

Thanks,

David

Last edited:
Unfortunately the '93 Cobra "fan" rims are all 4 lug.

The 107 '93 Cobra R's had a factory five lug conversion and used the 17" rim option that came on the '94 -'95 Mustang GT, commonly known as the dual tri-bar rim. These rims were painted black with the outer ring being natural aluminum similar to what was done on the Anniversary SC's.

I don't have any pics but it is supposed to be in the 80's this weekend, good reason to get the car out, find a scenic view and take some. I'll try to post some Sat. or Sun.

Dale

Actually the T-bird rims came out in 92. Ford changed them a "little" for the 93 Cobra. Definitely borrowed the design though.

yeaaaaaaaah ive thought these rims are great too! they're like the newer tbird lx rims but....better. 17's im sure, but they're rare so no chance i'd be able to find a set for my car

Last edited:
"Actually the T-bird rims came out in 92. Ford changed them a "little" for the 93 Cobra. Definitely borrowed the design though."

I'm sorry but you are mistaken the "fan" wheels "NCredSC" is referring to were first offered on the '94 - '95 T-birds and are 15". The '93 Cobra premiered the 17" "fan" style rim. If you have seen a '92 T-bird with those rims someone has put them on, it did not come from the factory that way, this I assure you.

As far as a set of '93 Cobra rims, I have an extra set but I am not willing to sell them.

tbird "fan" rim

here's a pic of a chromed "fan" rim off a tbird that is for sell on ebay. You can tell the fans don't look as big, although this chromed rim don't look bad either.

David

Attachments

• 3067BLeftb_.jpg
    3067BLeftb_.jpg
    8 KB · Views: 466
SC'er said:
I'm sorry but you are mistaken the "fan" wheels "NCredSC" is referring to were first offered on the '94 - '95 T-birds and are 15". The '93 Cobra premiered the 17" "fan" style rim. If you have seen a '92 T-bird with those rims someone has put them on, it did not come from the factory that way, this I assure you.
Well paint me green and call me Gumby. I said that because the first T-bird I owned was a 92 lx and it had those rims on it. My bad. :eek:

SC'ers 1993 Cobra

NCredSC

Here are the pics you requested

See slideshow below!!

Last edited:
pics

Hey Dale,

That Cobra is one SWEEEEET ride. Man, I love those cars. I still think those rims would look great on an SC. That type of spoiler wouldn't look bad either.
Your SC is very nice as well. Thanks for posting your pics.

David

NCredSC

Thanks for the compliments, I am fortunate to have them both! The pics of the Cobra didn't come out as well as I would have liked because of the sunlight. With these you are not able to see the brilliance of the teal paint, it is even sweeter in person!

I agree with you, I think the 17" Cobra rims would look good on an SC. All you would have to do is have a machine shop punch out the right 4-hole lug pattern on your existing front and rear hubs, then you would have to purchase '93 Cobra front and rear brake rotors, and then there may be clearance issues with the calipers, oh and don't forget the backspacing of the rims. Well may be it wouldn't be so easy!!! LOL

Or you could get one of those guys selling rims in the group purchases forum to have a manufacturer make these rims with the correct offset and bolt pattern!! Hmmm?

Dale

On the T-Bird fan rims, you are wrong, 93 was the first year, they were standard though 95. 96-97 you could get a "choromed style" as an option.

Back