Z28 lost to a stock SENTRA!?!?

1QuikV6

My good friend has a 2003 SE-R Spec-V. From the outside it looks like a run of the mill Sentra with a body kit and rims. Boy was I wrong. Apparently the Spec-V (SE-R's are 165, Spec-V's are 175) has its own drivetrain and suspension components. 175 may not seem like much but tied to a 6 speed and limited slip front end with 17" rims at both ends makes for a mad ride. Plus weighing in a 2500lbs (!!!) it has a pretty good weight ratio.
So we're taking his car to the dealer for it's 45k service and as we're merging onto I-95 this Camaro wont let him over. Next thing I know Im pushed back into my seat and I hear this I-4 make a throatier tone than my LX. About that time Im thinking "just WTF is on steroids under this thing". He eases up off of it as he gets merges on but this Camaro obviously wants to play evident by him flashing his lights. Tony lets off and lets the guy get ahead and I see "Z28" under the right taillight. haha, like some Jap rocket is gonna keep up with a 350?
Traffic thins out and the Camaro slows to get beside us. The guy motions "1...2.........3" and it's on. I couldnt hear the Nissan over the Camaro but I sure as hell felt that little 4 banger pull its *** off. And Im shocked at the Z28 loosing ground to this 4 door Econo car. i feel sorry for the Camaro driver, it must suck for him to lose to a Sentra.... Ha Ha , sucks to be him.
So i have all new respect for the japs over there at Nissan. I thinks its awesome that a Sentra with an aftermarket upper intake, cam gears, cat-back exhaust, and a Nismo tuner can smoke an American V8. And any 4 banger that can do 135 pulling good in 5th gear and still have another gear has my blessings.

Last edited:
1QuikV6 said:
My good friend has a 2003 SE-R Spec-V. From the outside it looks like a run of the mill Sentra with a body kit and rims. Boy was I wrong. Apparently the Spec-V (SE-R's are 165, Spec-V's are 175) has its own drivetrain and suspension components. 175 may not seem like much but tied to a 6 speed and limited slip front end with 17" rims at both ends makes for a mad ride. Plus weighing in a 2500lbs (!!!) it has a pretty good weight ratio.
So we're taking his car to the dealer for it's 45k service and as we're merging onto I-95 this Camaro wont let him over. Next thing I know Im pushed back into my seat and I hear this I-4 make a throatier tone than my LX. About that time Im thinking "just WTF is on steroids under this thing". He eases up off of it as he gets merges on but this Camaro obviously wants to play evident by him flashing his lights. Tony lets off and lets the guy get ahead and I see "Z28" under the right taillight. haha, like some Jap rocket is gonna keep up with a 350?
Traffic thins out and the Camaro slows to get beside us. The guy motions "1...2.........3" and it's on. I couldnt hear the Nissan over the Camaro but I sure as hell felt that little 4 banger pull its *** off. And Im shocked at the Z28 loosing ground to this 4 door Econo car. i feel sorry for the Camaro driver, it must suck for him to lose to a Sentra.... Ha Ha , sucks to be him.
So i have all new respect for the japs over there at Nissan. I thinks its awesome that a Sentra with an aftermarket upper intake, cam gears, cat-back exhaust, and a Nismo tuner can smoke an American V8. And any 4 banger that can do 135 pulling good in 5th gear and still have another gear has my blessings.

It was probably a 6 cylinder camaro with Z28 emblems. I have smoked a sentra Spec VTRA-SERR-GDX-XC with my SC. They are junk!!

Ummm... your last paragraph said something about intakes, and catbacks and stuff... that means the Sentra is not stock..
Stock means as it was delivered from the dealership. The very second you added so much as an improved airfilter, the car is, by definition, no longer "stock".

Even if the guy in the z28 couldnt drive any 87 and up 350 z28 will beat that car from a roll. So I have a feeling it wasnt a v8... Regardless I hate chebbies anyway!

My buddy has a SE-R Spec-V and that thing will toast my SC. It has an AEM cold Air, but that's it, and the thing screams. If you look on the SE-R forums there's people running 15 flat stock with those. I love my SC, but when credits due, one must give it.

Oxy..My 89 SC auto went 15.4 bone stock..Which is right around what that car does stock....So if he smokes you...Somethinsg seriously wrong with your car or your driving...I'm not talking down to you but I'd look into that if I was you..Especially being your car has a few mods..You should at least be at that 15 sec mark

oxygen822 said:
My buddy has a SE-R Spec-V and that thing will toast my SC. It has an AEM cold Air, but that's it, and the thing screams. If you look on the SE-R forums there's people running 15 flat stock with those. I love my SC, but when credits due, one must give it.

Well I'm not sure what is wrong with your car, but i raced one from a stop to the top of second gear and smashed him. Then we raced from a roll in second up to partway through fourth and i had at least a car and was still slightly pulling on it. All my car had was the air silencer removed. This guys car is STOCK

honestly I think they should be able to do better than a 15 stock. I mean theyre 175hp and only like 2700lbs plus a boatload of performance stuff from Nismo. But I do have to give the upper hand to the SCs having gobs of torque but I am facing the fact that there are quite a few companies pumping out some very stout little 4 bangers. I never thought Id see the day when an I-4 would make 175 hp N/A or that they could make 300hp (Lancer Evo) with a single Turbo.
I was also impressed with my friend Ryan's '04 Accord EX V6. I give him credit, that family car has some balls and its a friggin' ACCORD! I never thought Id use the word 'performance' and 'Accord' in the same sentence EVER. But it does make 240hp and it feels like all of 240hp. It sits me back in the seat like a GT almost. And its linear smooth with the throttle by wire.

I dont want to run on and on about it but the truth is just because a SENTRA runs a 15 is something to give credit to even if it cant smoke an SC or a Z28. They didnt build them for that, they were built to be funa nd built to be affordable. And they acheived. They are a boatload of fun and theyre cheap too. It's also a car that responds well to mods. And I get pretty ticked off when a modded 4 banger can run with me.

Last edited:
I've never raced him from a stand still in good conditions. tried to run with him once in the rain and just couldn't get traction. I forgot, he also has it lowered and has some very good rubber on it, don't remember what kind. I've gone at it with him from a roll and it's probably that it takes a second for the automatic to shift down and go versus his 6 spd, but I can't pull on him. He's also the best driver i've ever ridden with, races thos little formula cars in the summers and does pretty well, so he knows how to drive. I would like to give him a go from a standstill but I also have pretty crappy tires on so that won't help me at all. All I'm saying is that his car is faster then mine, or has been in the few situations we've "raced." I've looked ont he forums and seen people saying they're running 15.0 stock with Spec-V's, even with the **** tires they come with.

I'll second the one for the POS tires that come on em. He had the car 2 months and went and had Nittos put on it. As if it didnt already want to snatch my neck. :rolleyes: It's a pretty stout car for what it pushes tho. But I think that a mint condition 95 SC 5 speed would own one easily. I dont care if it is 2700lbs, it just cant touch force fed torque. :D

haha, did you ever ride in that thing in the rain with the stock tires? They are quite possibly the worst ever tire on a wet road. They came, on some BMW's too if I'm not mistaken, but I don't remember what models.

It wasnt a car in the rain, it was a hydroplane, hahaha. I think the Mini S's have the same tire. Any time he let the clutch out in the rain it'd just spin for the first 5 seconds, lol

My girlfriends Z24 is pretty quick for being a small car. Its got the 2.4L DOHC engine, and it weighs about 2700 lbs. It has 150 hp stock. It feels quick and its nimble, but I don't think an extra 25 hp would let it take on my SC. Thats only like adding another 16 fwhp.

I don't know. I'm gonna say vs. a stock SC the sentra could take it based on driver ability and traction. If you had a five speed SC, maybe you'd fare better, or maybe if you had a lentech valve body and you could hold your gears out longer. Stock AOD sucks.

Close

I would say stock for stock it should be a really close race completely up to the drivers. I raced against one at the track last year. He was completely stock with ~15,000miles. All I've got is a removed silencer and a K&N panel. His 15.3 to my 15.1 Definately closer than I thought and alot closer than he hoped! He couldn't believe he lost to a 6 cyl. 4000+lbs. car :D

Anthony

BTW Oyxgen: I went to RIT for a few years in the mid 90's. Two years in the EE program and I knew want I didn't want to do. :eek:

Coast to Coast SC:
EE is a really hard program... that's why I'm business... :) more time for "extra-curricular activities." Are you still in the area by any chance?

holding gears

I been meaning to post this and it's kind of a question at the same time because I wonder if anyone else has done this. On my 91 SC with a B&M shift kit in the aod, when I redline first and shift to second, I can shift back into the 1st position and it will hold it in 2nd until redline and then shift to drive which would be 3rd. Does that sound crazy or has anyone else tried that? Helps a lot when you are racing :D

David

Sounds like you need a 5 speed and your car needs to have its transmission looked at if youve been driving it like that. just my $0.02

aod

The trans. was slipping bad when I bought the car last July and it imediately went in the shop for $1000 worth of tranny work. I didn't know if this was a normal function for the aod or if mine was strange. It shifts great, very hard with the B&M in it. I think what cause it is when shifting back down, the rpms are too high for it to go back down into 1st, but it can't shift out of 2nd until it is in drive. Maybe I should ask some trans. mechanics and see what they think.

Sorry to get away from the subject of the thread.

David

Back