Radiator replacement

11psi5.0

Can anyone give me a quick rundown of what I need to do to replace the radiator. IE, does the intercooler and IC piping need to come out, or what. Thanks

Here's the lowdown

:eek: :eek: The radiator comes out REAL EASY!!!

You need a metric socket set, screw driver, a drain bucket, and I would install new hoses.

The radiator is held in place by (2) 11mm bolts, and the (2) 8 mm bolts that hold the intercooler bellows onto the intercooler. Also, you must remove the fan which is held on by (2) 10mm bolts. Remove the wiring harness to the fan taking care not to break the clip that holds it on.

Also, drain the radiator by removing the lower hose or turning the petcock on the bottom passenger side of the radiator. Remove the hoses and you are out.

If you have questions, call me....be glad to help.

Don

(973) 277-4294

:eek:

I just installed a new one in my 95 last night. I don't know if it's any different for 89-93 SC's, but here's my low down. Everything that Don said I agree with except for the 11MM Bolts. My radiator was held in with two 13 MM bolts (Not that it matters that much but my .02). Also, I don't know if you absolutely have to remove the intercooler, but I guess Don was indicating that you don't have to and after thinking about it, I guess it's possible, but tight for actually lifting it in and out. However, I chose to remove it because I bought Tbird88's intercooler gasket set and I am doing other things (replacing sparkplugs, wires, idler pullies, etc.) and the Ford Service Manual instructs you to do so and being a Technical Writer by employment and a licensed Airframe and Powerplant (Aircraft) mechanic I always try to follow the instructions because usually there is something in there that if you don't do you end up breaking or something else that is bad.

I replaced the rad in my 90 without removing the IC. Half of the process I actually did with only the light from the street lamp. ;)
Tom

Back