Guys with larger wheels and Cobra brake upgrades....

ChrisPearl95

I just put on my front and rear brakes kits last weekend....I have 18 inch wheels....it hit me that I cannot use my stock spare anymore. I was trying to find a larger wheel classified as a spare on line with little luck. Just wondering what you guys are using. I did not want to pay for a real wheel. I may have to find a used beat up one somewhere.

thanks, Chris

BTW, my calipers are Pcoated red, the brackets black. Look very nice. :) :cool: :p :D ;)

That is correct, the aluminum 17" mini-spare wheel found in some of the Lincoln LS cars will clear the 13" Cobra brakes, and have the same bolt pattern as the Birds / Cougars. Ford p/n 1W4Z 1007 BA, pretty expensive new. I've seen them on eBay a few times, the temp. spare tire size is T185/60R17.

People with the bolt pattern conversion as well as the 13" brakes need the SN-95 Mustang Cobra mini-spare, as Damon mentioned.

cheers,
Ed N.

Thanks guys, very useful info.....

Maybe I will see what if I can find a used LS spare for now...run flats might be a good option when these tires wear out. I guess I will have to do some hard driving since the new brakes are on now :D

Thanks again, Chris

I will try to post some pics tomorrow. I bought my wife a digi camera which she has been wanting for mothers day. No way I would ever make use of it myself. :rolleyes:

So you didnt change the Lug pattern????

The LS spare also is the same lug pattern as stock but the offset is completely different

Before he buys that has anyone treid it?

Nope, stock pattern Damon.....

So I would need one to fti stock hubs. I wish I could find just a plain old steel wheel like the stocker.

Thanks

A few guys over on TCCoA have used the LS mini-spare.

The downsides of run-flat tires are that they tend to be rougher riding because of the stiffer, reinforced sidewalls, and they really should be used with some sort of pressure monitoring system, so that you do know when they are low on air.

cheers,
Ed N.

Tirerack.com sells a pressure monitoring system that mounts the display on your dash and lets you keep track of all 4 tires. Kinda neat, and if you don't have a spare, might come in handy. I usually only take my spare when I go on trips, or I'll put in a can of fix-a-flat (it sucks and is flammable, but it does work decent) of course most repair shops won't repair a tire if you have used fix-a-flat and it will also void most tire warranties.

Chris, I'd like to see some pics of the brake upgrade. How hard was the install? I might do this soon since I now have 17's on my black bird, and the brakes are almost useless at high speed. Scary, a 4000 lb car going 75 mph needing to stop and having your foot to the floor on the pedal and barely slowing it down. I do have good rotors, new calipers, and recent carbon metallic pads too, so I now know even when properly equipped how poorly the brakes work on these machines. I think I can justify this as more of a safety thing than a performance mod, plus it looks cool I bet with the red brake calipers showing through the wheel, especially when driving and you can see that behind the moving spokes.

I picked up the Tire monitor from Tire Rack too. It was $220 plus $0 for the digital display. Tire pressure and Tire Temp are displayed. I should have my FR500 wheels next week and the Brembo 4 piston brakes.

The prototype Cobra 11.65 brake adapter should be finished next week too. Once prototype is finalized I will be selling the adapter. Pictures will be posted as soon as I get it mounted on the knuckle.

You will probably find that it is alot cheaper to buy a 5th wheel. A new cobra spare wheel is $225. Unless you find a used one.

The Big Brakes

Here are my new brakes and wheels. 4 piston Cobra-R Brembo and 18x9" FR500 wheels.

brembo-pic1.JPG

brembo-pic2.JPG

here is a pic of what I had installed.....

I will post pics of the new spoiler as well.

Chris

Attachments

• Front wheel.gif
    Front wheel.gif
    153.6 KB · Views: 174
Back