Figured out my crank pulley problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

V6Sprout

OK I know the SC crank pulley has the off set hole on it, no idea why FORD did this but OK I know its there. I have a 97 4.2 F150 balancer on my SC motor, its neutral balanced and has the exeter gear ont he back for my crank sensor ( same style as the 94-95 SC's) All fits perfect, had car running no problems with SC puley on it. Well I remove the stock SC crank pulley to install the SCI crank pulley, it WONT BOLT ON, grrrr. I compare it to the stock one, holes are identical, so why woudl the stock puley work but not he SCI one, well I figured it out, the balancer I am using since its off the 4.2 truck motor does NOT have the off set hole, neither do the mustang balancers. I guess when I put the SC crank pulley on it was a tight fit, (don't rememebr it being though) and it enlarged the offset hole enough to make it work, you can see it threaded the offset hole, so it was obviously digging int ot he metal ont he crank pulley. Car ran great though. Well I was not about to go buy a new balancer over this, so I just slightly enlarged the offset hole on the SCI pulley so it lines up with the balancer I am using, hole is not enlarged all that much and shoudl not effect the balancing of it since its where it mounts and not on the actual belt area. Another reason I figure it won't effect the balance is because if it did, then the offset hole alone would cause a balance problem due to unbalanced mounting holes. All shoudl be good now, time to bolt it on the actual car, I used a spare balancer to test fit it since I was not about to pull my balancer off the car. :D

The SCI crank pulley is a beautiful piece though and it fit perfect if I had the right balancer, so the pulley is in no way to blame for this, I never even knew of the offset hole till just recently, Always wondered why my SC crank pulley mounted up no problem, I mounted it up like 4-5 tiems and never even knew the hole was offset. :rolleyes:

Crank pulley problems

I recently replaced my crankshaft sensor and had a problem lining the holes for reassembly. This sensor had been replaced by Ford at 60,000 miles to repair a bucking problem. The car now has 130K miles. Unknown to me the Ford dealer had screwed up the threads so I got a 8mmx1.25mm pitch tap to clean out the holes. After doing so I tried to reassemble the pulley only to find the holes didn't line up. Figuring that there must be a way to line them up, I began rotating the pulley one bolt at a time and on the fourth rotation they lined up perfectly. I then marked the pulley and hub to get the alignment right in the future. Upon reassembly, one of the holes was stripped and I know I didn't do it with the tap. What a bummer! I then took the radiator fan out, cut off a drill for room to drill the 8mm threads out to 5/16" which is the tap drill for 3/8-16 bolts. I chose the coarse thread for more bite in the aluminum rather than the very shallow threads of a 3/8-24 bolt. After deburing the holes and drilling out the pulley to 13/32" everything went together perfectly. I used 3/8" lock washers with the bolts. The pulley wobble before the repair went away and it runs perfectly true. Worried about any chips that went through the hole, I had to remove the oil filter and the lower cover to blow out any chips that may have been blown into the covered sensor space.
The quality of the dealer mechanic is seriously in question. Not only messing up the threads he also damaged the plastic cover by overtightening the mounting bolts and damaging the plastic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back