Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Jet-Hot coating IC tubes

Coating is ALOT more expensive then WRAPPING..And the Consensus is,,,WRAP..Read what everyone is saying..Its apparent you have in your mind to coat..Youll be wasting your money...As far as smoothing out the tube....Inside..You can have it extrude honed...Another waste in my opinion but will work the best...Both will have a minimal effect

50$ to wrap... 150 or so to coat...Hmmmm

one more time

WRAP!!!
    Last edited by XxSlowpokexX; 05-10-2004 at 11:31 PM.
    They don't call me "SLOWPOKE" for nothin!
    http://www.sccoa.com/forums/garage_v...vehicle&id=110
    Quote Originally Posted by ricardoa1 View Post
    I love the filter. Its pimp. paper element and 10Mircron filtration, 12" long cause size matters.

You are saying wrap, Damon. Others have also done the wrap too, but I don't see anyone other than you insisting on wraping them as opposed to coating them. And so far you have put forth no evidence that wrapping is better than coating. That is what I want to see. Give me data, and you'll convince me. Without that, I'm forced to make my decision on the data that I find. Not on someone saying just trust me. Show me facts to convince me.

And just FYI, coating is NOT much more expensive. You quote $50 for the wrap. I'll take that at face value and assume that you have done the research there into the cost. If you turn you attention to the first post in this thread you will see that I have a quote of $15 per linear foot for the coating. There is roughly 1.5' of upper tube and 2.5' of lower tube making a total of 4 feet. That's $60 if my math is right...and it is. That's a $10 difference in cost from what you quoted. Hardly the 3x the cost you threw out there.

Extrude honing the tubes is by far out of the question. They want $150 PER TUBE to have them honed. As a member you can have it done for $125 per tube. That's still $250, or $190 more than I will spend for the coating. My goal is to get the best all-around benefit from the tubes for around $100. As of now, yes, I am leaning toward the coating because of several reasons; comparable price to wraps, less turbulence in the tubes, radiant heat protection and a nice finished appearance. Show me a wrap that will do that. And as I've stated, I'm still waiting on some indepenently verified #'s of why wrap is better than coating.

Its just not worth it..Go coat them man..I'm not here to teach you..The facts are blatenly obvious..Its like saying the sky is blue and someone saying..I want numbers to prove it..Go for it..Im done
    I love the filter. Its pimp. paper element and 10Mircron filtration, 12" long cause size matters.

And I still didnt see you put forth YOUR numbers....ALthough I have stated what I used to test temperature with,,,an IR temp gun....But Like I said...go for it..If you think you can ship your tubes back and forth and have them coated for 60$....And actually think it will be better.......Go for it.....And if that isnt the extreme Jethot coating..Well then your not doing a dam thing..

You ask for opinions and you got them..Has anyone said coating the tube was the way to go? Just the dynamics of what a coating can do as compared to a wrap would make any rational person realize whats better...Im through with this COMPLETELY FRUSTERATED!!!! :O)~
    Last edited by XxSlowpokexX; 05-11-2004 at 12:47 AM.

Sam, here is some data that might be helpful. Thermal barrier coatings are applied very thinly - Techline recommends no more than .0015" (15 ten-thousandths!) for their products. I sprayed my headers myself (and baked them in a kiln at 700 deg) and I remember how thin the stuff goes on. It's not going to fill in or smooth out any surface defects on the inside of the tubes.

BTW, I'm not sure where you guys got your wrap for $50, but here is a link to the stuff on Summit for $14, I think I used only one roll.

Thanks for that info, Rob. However, I believe it worth noting that Jet Hot coatings are (so they say) over 2 mills in thickness whereas *most* other coatings are around .4 mills thick. So they have a thicker application than their compeditors. And they coat the inside (twice) and outside of the parts. I don't have the tech info in front of me right now since I'm at work, but they also give the measurements of the peaks and valleys in the coating itself. Of course, these measurements are microscopic, but the finish look can be seen by the eye. The smoother the finish, the shinier it is. It is also worth noting that there were tests run on a coated header and a painted header. The difference was over 300* F at idle and around 400* F at WOT. Again, I don't have the information right in front of me but I can get it when I get home. Those are the approximate numbers that I remember right off the top of my head and are not exact, but a close approximation.

The $50 for header wrap I believe is for the Thermotech stuff, not your plain Jane header wrap. I have not even looked at that to confirm the price or not. I have looked at a couple other thermotech products in the past and that price does not sound way high.

I just wanted to see if anyone had used Jet Hot coating for their IC tubes. From what I have seen, no one has, or at least if they have, they have not replied to this post. If I am the first to do this, that's okay. I don't mind being in the front. But if there is data out there that has already been found as to what works better, then I wouldn't do it. But thus far, I have not seen any data that says wrap is better than coating. And, of course, a lot depends on the type of wrap and the type of coating. So whatever studies there have been on the subject don't take into account all the different types of aplications. A prime example is the study that I have of painted headers and then the jet hot coated headers. Header wrap is not included in this study, so I have no way of telling if it is better or not. Specifically what I'm looking for is the best type of header wrap, (From what I've seen, it's thermotech) compared to the sterling jet hot coating. I haven't been able to locate any side by side performance evaluations like that. Nor have I heard of anyone who has had their lower tube coated to see if there was any type of gain or not. So that leaves me to make my decision with out much information.

Well, I finally got my modified lower IC tube installed this weekend. This is what is done to it:

1) Blasted with aluminum oxide to smooth out the inside (honed)
    2) Jet Hot Sterling coated both inside and out
    3) Header wrapped

What I have noticed so far is lower operating temps and faster cool down time after the SC is turned off. I don't know that it added more to performance, but I have noticed a definate drop in operating temps. In fact, since I've installed it, my high speed fan has not turned on at all. It usually does, just because of the stop and go traffic I drive in every day. So far so good. I'll post more info if I have any other findings.