Looking for proper way to do KOER test

bigcletus94

I am having a hard time getting this test to work right. Every time, I get code 225 = knock sensor error during dynamic test. I go through the steps in the book that came with the code reader and I have searched the forums here and this is the only thing I came up with and have tried:

Start out by putting your scanner in the hold position.
Start the engine, then switch to the test position
The scanner does a cylinder balance test and some other crap
Then it will give you a engine code: 3 blinks of the light for a v6

1.Turn the steering wheel about a full turn
2. Put your foot on the brake then release
3. Activate and deactivate the O/D switch

After that it will give you a dynamic response signal (1 flash) at that time:

Do a QUICK WOT (If you get a code related to insufficient rpm change detected it means you messed up the sequence when you do the WOT

After I get that single beep I punch the pedal and shortly after I get the knock sensor code. Does this mean I am doing the procedure wrong or the sensor is bad? It is fairly new (15k miles). Thanks for any info.

from the eom ford service manual

This might be more info than you want, but it's copied from my oem service manual cd.

Key On Engine Off Self-Test

Special Notes:

l Continuous Memory Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs) recorded in this step will be used for diagnosis after a PASS code 11 or 111 is received in both the Key On Engine Off and the Engine Running Self-Tests.

l Deviation from this procedure may cause the output of false DTCs.

l On all vehicles equipped with a 4.9L ENGINE, the clutch must be depressed during the Key On Engine Off Self-Test.

l On all vehicles equipped with a 7.3L DIESEL ENGINE, the throttle must be depressed (WOT) during the entire Key On Engine Off Self-Test.

How To Run The Key On Engine Off Self-Test

DO

l Verify that the vehicle has been properly prepared.

l Start engine and run until it reaches operating temperature.

l Turn engine off and wait 10 seconds.

l Activate Self-Test.

-- STAR Tester: Latch the center button in the down position.

-- Analog VOM: Jumper STI to SIG RTN at the DLC and STI connectors.

-- Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL): Jumper STI to SIG RTN at the DLC and STI connectors. DTCs will be flashed on the Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL).

-- Transmission Control Indicator Lamp (TCIL) 7.3L Diesel only: Jumper STI to SIG RTN at the DLC and STI connectors. Service Codes will be flashed on the TCIL.

-- Message Center (Continental Applications Only). Refer to "Self-Test with Message Center."

-- Scan Tool: 1) Enter vehicle selection. 2) Enter KOEO Self-Test.

l Place ignition key in the ON position.

l For 7.3L Diesel vehicles only, depress the throttle.

l Record all Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs) displayed.

DON'T

l Depress throttle during Key On Engine Off Self-Test on gasoline engine applications.

Engine Running Self-Test

Special Notes:

l On vehicles equipped with the Brake On/Off (BOO) circuit, the brake pedal MUST be depressed and released AFTER the ID code.

l On vehicles equipped with the Power Steering Pressure (PSP) switch, within 1 to 2 seconds after the ID code, the steering wheel must be turned at least one-half turn and released.

l On vehicles equipped with E4OD transmission, the Transmission Control Switch (TCS) must be cycled after the ID code.

l The Dynamic Response code is a single pulse (or a 10 code on the STAR Tester) that occurs 6-20 seconds after the engine running identification code. (See Code Output Format in this section.)

l When/if the Dynamic Response code occurs, perform a brief wide open throttle.

How To Run Engine Running Self-Test

DO

l Deactivate Self-Test.

l Start and run engine at 2,000 rpm for two minutes. This action warms up the HO2S.

l Turn engine off, wait 10 seconds.

l Activate Self-Test.

l Start engine.

l After the ID code, depress and release the brake pedal if appropriate. See Special Note on previous page.

l After the ID code, within 1 to 2 seconds, turn the steering wheel at least one-half turn and then release it, if appropriate. See Special Notes above.

l If a Dynamic Response Code occurs, perform a brief wide-open throttle (WOT).

l Record all Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs) displayed.

DON'T

l Depress the throttle unless a Dynamic Response code is displayed.

Self-Test Description

The Self-Test is divided into three specialized tests: Key On Engine Off Self-Test, Engine Running Self-Test, and Continuous Self-Test. The Self-Test is not a conclusive test by itself, but is used as a part of the functional Quick-Test diagnostic procedure. The PCM stores the Self-Test program in permanent memory. When activated, Self-Test checks the EEC system by testing memory integrity and processing capability, and verifies that various sensors and actuators are connected and operating properly.

The Key On Engine Off and Engine Running Self-Tests are functional tests which only detect faults present at the time of the Self-Test. Continuous Self-Test is performed during normal vehicle operation and stores any fault information in Keep Alive Memory (KAM) for retrieval at a later time.

Key On Engine Off Self-Test

At this time, a test of the EEC system is conducted with power applied and engine at rest.

To detect errors during Key On Engine Off Self-Test, the fault must be present at the time of testing.

Separator Pulse

A single 1/2 second separator pulse is issued 6-9 seconds after the last Key On Engine Off DTC. Then, 6-9 seconds after the single 1/2 second separator pulse, the Continuous Memory DTCs will be issued.

Continuous Memory Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs)

Continuous Memory DTCs are issued as a result of information stored during Continuous Self-Test, while the vehicle was in normal operation. These DTCs are displayed only during Key On Engine Off Self-Test and after the separator pulse. Intermittent faults that have not occurred in the last 80 warm-up cycles (40 cycles on some applications) are erased from Continuous Memory and will not produce a Continuous Memory DTC.

NOTE:
The separator pulse and Continuous Memory DTCs follow Key On Engine Off DTCs ONLY.

Engine Running Self-Test

At this time, a test of the EEC system is conducted with the engine running. The sensors are checked under actual operating conditions and at normal operating temperatures. The actuators are exercised and checked for expected results.

Engine Identification Codes (ID Codes)

Engine ID codes are issued at the beginning of the Engine Running Self-Test and are one-digit numbers represented by the number of pulses sent out. For gasoline engines, the engine ID code is equal to one-half the number of engine cylinders (i.e. 2 pulses = 4 cylinders). For the 7.3L Diesel engine, the ID code = 5. These codes are used to verify the proper PCM is installed and that the Self-Test has been entered.

Dynamic Response Check

The dynamic response check is used on some applications to verify operation of the TP, MAF, MAP and KS sensors during the brief Wide-Open Throttle (WOT) performed during the Engine Running Self-Test. The signal for the operator to perform the brief WOT is a single pulse or 10 code on the STAR Tester.

Power Steering Pressure (PSP) Switch Test

On vehicles equipped with Power Steering Pressure (PSP) switch, the steering wheel must be turned one-half turn and released AFTER the ID Code has been displayed. This tests the ability of the EEC system to detect a change of state in the PSP switch.

Brake On/Off Test

On vehicles equipped with Brake On/Off (BOO) input, the brake pedal MUST be depressed and released AFTER the ID Code has been displayed. This tests the ability of the EEC system to detect a change of state in the Brakelamp Switch.

Transmission Control Switch (TCS) Test

On vehicles equipped with TCS, the switch must be cycled after the ID code has been displayed. This tests the ability of the EEC system to detect a change of state in the TCS.

I had a buddy turn the wheel COMPLETLEY to the right and to the left and I don't know if it screwed things up but I wouldn't recommend doing that....

Back