Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 71314151617

Thread: someone should start a thread to debate the 2004 elections...oh I just did

---edit---
    Last edited by 89SCK@t; 06-11-2004 at 04:48 PM. Reason: Double post..

Quote Originally Posted by 1BADSC
    One. 90% of this country is religous in one way or another.
    I understand that and have no problem with that.

Two. None of what happens around the world is allowed by God. God did not want robots so he gave us free will. It is up to us to follow the guidelines we were given. We do what we choose to do.
    No, it is not allowed by GOD. But why does HE let it happen? Free will is not an excuse. If HE is not allowing it, why doesn't HE stop it? I don't follow any guidelines that GOD has given us...I follow the guidelines that my PARENTS told me.

Three. In the past during the crusades people killed others in the name of God. Then they realized " hey wait a minute, we are killing fellow believers who believe in the same God as us, they just go about it differently. Our God would not condone this type of action" so then the crusades stopped. People who say they are killing in the name of God are not following their religion. No religion in the world condones killing others unless it is to protect oneself, family, or the flock.
    Then explain to me why there are still things carried out in the name of their GOD? The extremists still carry out things in the name of their GOD, Abortion Clinics by the Christians, the Western Countries by the Muslims, killing Protestants by Catholics, killing Catholics by Protestants, killing the Jews by not only the "Arian Race" but the muslims as well?

If you put the 4 most prestigious religions in one room and as them what their GOD tells them...they will all say,"Peace, Love, and goodwill to all Men"...then you ask them which of their GOD is the truest, each one will say their GOD is true and declare the other "GOD'S" as false. Thats how wars are started...

Four. God never said the path to salvation would be the easy road. Matter of fact, it almost never is. 90% of the population should never have to conform for the 10%. Most atheist do not mind if the comandments are posted, or the pledge, or the money. It is only a few who have a fit. Just because one spoiled brat has to hear the word God does not mean we should banish God from all our lives. When God is missing from society the society loses morals and begins to fall apart. This is one thing that helped Ronald destroy the Soviet Union.
    90% is religious...thats nice...I should not have to walk into a government funded school and see Jesus on the Cross, or any religious items period, hanging on the wall. Again, it is wrong. I don't mind that any religious items are hanging on a wall, as long as it is not in a government provided building.

I was never subjected to religion, and I thank my parents for that, because I could make a decision for myself on which, if any, religions are true. I am not saying banish religion from our lives, just do not have any religious items in any government funded areas.

Again, my PARENTS provided me with my morals...I never had to step into a religious building to know what is right from wrong.

Regan only defeated the Soviet Union, because the Soviet Union spent too much money on a military and other various government projects. Not because they were Atheist...Communism works on paper, not in real life...Humans are naturally greedy, that is why Communism never works.

What is the next step... Are we going to tear down churches because an atheist in the neighborhood is upset by seeing a church everyday?
    Nope. If you want to practice, by all means practice. I don't want my tax dollars funding your institutions, nor should the government have any part in religion. I have no problem with religious buildings, I will just never get married in one. A judge in a court is good enough for me.

Stephen

Talking

Steve,

All public schools teach religion. Humanism is a religion. Evolution is believed on faith with very little science to back it up. Just because they don't teach Christianity or Judaism, or Hinduism doesn't mean that they are not teaching religion. Your worldview is your religion. Either you believe you are God or Allah is God, or Chrishna or the spirits that inhabit the trees, or Jesus or whoever. But you can't say that public schools don't teach religion. Most of them teach secular humanism. This is probably the most common religion in the USA.

Also, (this is a fun one) explain to me how you derive your "morals" in the absense of God's influence. (warning this is a trap)

Quote Originally Posted by Slysc
    Steve,

All public schools teach religion. Humanism is a religion. Evolution is believed on faith with very little science to back it up. Just because they don't teach Christianity or Judaism, or Hinduism doesn't mean that they are not teaching religion. Your worldview is your religion. Either you believe you are God or Allah is God, or Chrishna or the spirits that inhabit the trees, or Jesus or whoever. But you can't say that public schools don't teach religion. Most of them teach secular humanism. This is probably the most common religion in the USA.

Also, (this is a fun one) explain to me how you derive your "morals" in the absense of God's influence. (warning this is a trap)
    I'm tired and I don't have the knowledge of secular humanism. The public schools I went didn't teach religion to my knowledge, and when we said the pledge of alligence, I didn't say "Under GOD".

A-HA! I knew someone was going to ask that. My parents are not religious, but their parents were. I realize that society as we know it was founded on religion or something happened for society back then to make them believe in a Supreme Being. Its just since then, society has evolved into taking religious beliefs and turned them into creating laws, guidelines. No matter what I know that religion plays an important role in everyones life.

I am just saying that my PARENTS instilled in me that stealing, killing humans, adultery, etc., was wrong, not only morally, but I could get into trouble for it. I only say those because there are other things that my parents told me that I am too tired to remember...sorry.

Stephen

Steve,

The school you went was, by default, teaching you humanism. Which I contend is a religion.

You said your parents taught you that stealing, killing humans, adultery, etc., was wrong, how do you know that those things are wrong?

I do not say the pledge of alligence. (I know I'm gonna catch all kinds of crap for this). I also encourage my kids not to say the pledge of alligence. Probably not for the same reason you don't say "under God". My alligence is with Christ and him alone. He commands me to obey the ordinances of man up until they contradict the ordinances of God. By pledging alligence to "the flag" and to the country, you are making an oath to be in alligence with the government of the united states. (am I wrong?) During the Clinton administration, I realized that the government can be so corrupt that I could not promise to be in alligence with it. So I quit saying it. I take and oath very seriously. By making every kindergardener say the pledge when they have no idea what it means, is to water down the seriousness of a pledge.
    I teach my kids to be patriots, to respect government and to love our country. But not to say the pledge of alligence. I think it would be better not to say it than to say it and not mean it or not care.

I have been gone for a couple of weeks working, yes I have a job. Agent orange wont wash off, it eats you up from the inside. All this debate about Bush and Keary is intersting. I agree with Mr. Sly this country was formed on Christian values. Take those away and you have problems with gangs, drugs and more crime. The government would like to take GOD out of every aspect of public life and then pass a million laws to legislate morility. Its not working folks. We have more crime now than ever. As far as who becomes President it really wont make much differance. Someone made a comment that we cant take care of thing on a domestic level and do things over seas? Maybe you are right. I still say that all this is a distraction to keep our minds off the true problems in this country. Vote for who you want to, thank GOD we still have that right. Years ago there was a clear line the democrats were for the working class blue colar guys like me and the republicans were for the rich. Now I see no real distinction. It has mostly shifted to matters overseas and what our policy will be. If when and until we take care of our own problems first, I could care less if Mickey mouse gets in.

Did anyone hear how kind and polite Bush was introducing Clinton to speak about his new book. That is the difference between the parties... dignity. Bush spoke very highly of ex president Clinton and gave him quite a bit of praise. You would never see a democrat today who is able to say anything nice about their rivals.