How long to pull the pumpkin?

metalman

I am gonna change my rear gear out to a 3.55 and I'm gonna pull the pumpkin myself a take it to a shop to change it out. How long of a job would I expect to just get the pumpkin out of the car? It would cost $450 to have the shop to the total labor and installation. But, just $175 for the instalation if I just gave them the pumpkin. I would rather pay $175 than $450.

Thanks,
Metalman

Depending on your skill level, it shouldn't take any longer than about 1 hr.

Do you have a GOOD manual? Simple job!

I'm pretty decent with my SC. I tore down and rebuilt my motor last fall. I did every thing except for the machine work and cam and main bearing replacement, and just about every other part of my car inside and out. I have never tackled a rear end before though, but I have a good manual and the "'Bird Gears" article in the MM/FF mag (I think that's were it was).

I'll probably tackle it this weekend. Thanks.

Metalman

metalman said:
I'm pretty decent with my SC. I tore down and rebuilt my motor last fall. I did every thing except for the machine work and cam and main bearing replacement, and just about every other part of my car inside and out. I have never tackled a rear end before though, but I have a good manual and the "'Bird Gears" article in the MM/FF mag (I think that's were it was).

I'll probably tackle it this weekend. Thanks.

Metalman

It's not a bad job at all. I just did it this past Saturday. Make sure you have an extra set of hands....makes it alot easier. It was alot easier than I expected.

and FYI, don't take the half-shalf nut off, just remove the caliper/rotor from one side and then remove the spindle, just sliding the half-shalf out of the pumpkin. Then after removing the drive shaft, bolt on front and bolts on mount at back, pop the other side half-shaft out and slide the unit down and out. Remember to put a jack under the pumpkin and as said, extra set of hands makes life much better, that sucker is a heavy mug if you are under there by yourself. Just watch out for the fluid there at the end as it can leak out the half-shaft holes, plus it stinks to the high heavens.

Back