Thread: Car starts, then dies.. then starts (more)

Car starts, then dies.. then starts (more)

For the past three weeks or so, my '89 SC 5-speed has been having a problem starting. Basically, when I start the car when it's cold (in the morning, or after a long day at work), the car will start and run for a split second, then the RPMs drop so low the car dies. If I crank it over again, it starts RIGHT up and runs fine.

Also, about 50% of the time, the car will run OK for about the first 3 or 4 minutes after starting, then there is a hesitation in the throttle. If I push the clutch in, and rev it, the car goes "Vroom.. Vroom" instead of one smooth rev. This makes it difficult to take off from a stop - I have to keep the revs around 2500 to keep it from stalling. This goes away completely though in about 5 or 6 more minutes of driving.

Anyone have any ideas? The car pulls plenty of vaccuum, boosts to 12psi, and runs OK otherwise (it's also bone stock).

sounds like fuel pressure regulator try some stp in the gas helped mine my regulator would stick sometimes and now and then it would hesitate when it was cold . eventually it went away i think the stp fixed it