NEW 8.8 IRS covers

AF BIRD

I am not sure about the rules for starting/posting GP's here, so don't flame yet. Not sure how many have 8.8's so here goes......

-Since there really is not a better 8.8 IRS cover for the MN-12 available I got in touch with JBL Motorsports LLC about making one. They currently make one, however it has a horizontal mounting flange rather than a vertical flange. They have agreed to make us one for our specific needs, with the horizantal flange. They need a minimum of 20 orders to get started on making these.

- DETAILS about the product: Alloy, substantialy stronger than our current stock covers, thicker flange (will still fit stock mounting brace if you want to keep it), they will guarantee the fit. Drain plug, bolts/studs that hold the carrier bearings in place (carrier bearing movement is what typically causes broken covers). From the time we get 20 confirmed orders the estimated time to completion is 8 to 9 weeks.

- COST: $275 each, this isn't cheaper than what they currently offer, but they still have to engineer it, so I think it is still a great deal on a new improved product.

- The gentleman I spoke to said it should also fit the IRS equipped Cobras as well, I'll get more details, but if you know of anyone, or own one yourself, that would be interested let them know too.

Once we get at least 20 COMMITTED buyers I will work out payment arrangements with the company, truthfully I would rather not be holding peoples money. So hopefully we can get enough people on this to get a great new product.

Here is a link that will show you the one they currently make, the proposed one will ahve all the same features, but in a configuration for the MN-12/Cobra rear end.
http://www.jblmotor.com/prods/rearcov.htm

Just curious if anyone has heard of a Tbird/Cougar ever breaking a rear cover? It's fairly common on the Mustangs due to the single sided mounting point, but I've never heard of this being an issue with these cars.....

jasonLmarsh said:
Just curious if anyone has heard of a Tbird/Cougar ever breaking a rear cover? It's fairly common on the Mustangs due to the single sided mounting point, but I've never heard of this being an issue with these cars.....
I think Charles Markman (sp?) has. I know there were pictures floating around.

Anyway, not too many have been broken by our cars.

I broke the cover on my 94 LX splitport 3.8L last summer. Nailed the throttle leaving a stop sign, the tires spun for a few feet, hooked, then POW! Here's a pic of the carnage:

broken%20rear%20end.jpg

I found the cause of the damage to be due to the rubber front diff mounts. They were allowing the centersection to torque over when under load, thereby stressing the diff cover to the point of breaking. When the diff cover broke, it put the halfshaft in a bind and broke it at the CV joint. Carrier bearing movement had nothing to do with it.

By the way when this happened, the car had a FRPP centersection, 255's on the rear, and was only making 165 rwhp and 198 rwtq.

I'm making more power now, but I haven't had any problems since replacing the halfshafts with those from a 90 SC and replacing the front diff mounts with poly ones from MN12performance.

-Rod

Last edited:
Sorry I haven't been on in a bit, Uncle Sam is keeping me way to busy. To answer a few questions:

- jasonLmarsh
Actually yes I have seen a T-bird break one, engine was pretty much stock 4.6, except a small shot of nitrous, new poly bushings, new springs, POLY IRS bushings. If I remember right it was his first run, busted the cover in half. So yes it happens, not often but it does happen.

- gldiii
I am also running this GPon TCCOA trying to get enough interest up. If you look I also had posted on eabout new Nordskog instrument panels, but it seems nobody was interested.

- DamonSlowpokeBaumann
Let me check so I can make sure we are talking about the same thing. But if you mean the bolts that will more or less hold the carrier bearing in place so it does not move these will have them.

The covers arnt about making a stronger rear cover. Its about making a cover that has adjustments to preload the carrier bearings,,Thats what all of the aftermarket 8.8 Girdle/covers are all about..They preload the carrier bearings. I have busted many a cap in an 8.8 rear before someone came out with a cover that preloaded those bearing caps..

SO WILL THIS COVER DO THAT>?..If not its a waste..Seriously

Last edited:
Back