New Heads instead of Machine Work? Head Gaskets Went

LXSC

Well my head gaskets have went and now I gotta fork out the dough for repair. I'm still waitin' on my mechanic to get me a finished quote. My question is regarding the machining. My mechanic says that if I want any sort of a warrenty on their work, they need to machine the heads to ensure they will be able to match up with the gaskets smoothly. However, I know this is gonna cost more in terms of labour as well as sending them off to be repaired or whatever. What will this cost me? I'm considering buying a brand new pair or refurbished heads that have all new seals as well as having been shaven and all cleaned up and they could be mine for $205 US. Is it worth it to do this? I'm a believer of symmetry so I figure I should get both but I do have the option of getting just one rebuilt head. Another thing is would they machine both heads if they are replacing both gaskets? Thanks for anyone who can help

Your mechanic is correct in insisting on the resurfacing of the heads. The cost to rework your heads should be about the same as that set you can buy.
Wait until you get the quote and go with which ever one is cheaper. BTW, Do both heads.

David

Back