BHJ Balancer Alert !!!!

Rich Thomson

Anyone who has or anyone going to install the BHJ balancer on their SC you need to be made aware of a problem when using the stock damper to crank bolt. Even the Mustang 3.8L bolt. The BHJ snout is 1/2" thicker than the factory one. The problem is after installing the BHJ damper you will have less than 1/2" of threads holding the damper on to the crankshaft. Enough threads to hold the damper on but not enough to keep the threads from stripping out! :eek: You need a 55mm long 10.9 grade bolt to install the damper correctly. All the BHJ 3.8L balancers are made with the same 2.5" snout depth. If you have already installed yours and used the stock bolt replace it ASAP. Reuse the washer. Damage can and will occur to the crank and balancer. If you need help getting ahold of the correct length bolt I have them for $2 each plus shipping.

bhj-oem-balancers.JPG

OEM 2" snouth depth.

oem-balancer-3_8l.JPG

BHJ 2.5" snout depth.

bhj-balancer-3_8l.JPG

The red line shows how much of the bolt actually is threaded into the crank when using the BHJ. This bolt is the Factory length crank bolt and washer. M14 x 40mm 1.5 pitch With the washer installed it's 35mm long.

crank-bolt.JPG

Last edited:
Awesome information Rich. Im thinking though....perhaps as an alternative, could you cut the extra 1/2" off of the BHJ or is that not recommended?

CaifanSC said:
Awesome information Rich. Im thinking though....perhaps as an alternative, could you cut the extra 1/2" off of the BHJ or is that not recommended?

You would have to mill 1/2 inch off the front recessed part of the balancer. Otherwise you will run into alignment problems with the pulley and an interferance problem with the timining index pointer on the front of the cam chain cover. A longer bolt would be the best solution.

Has anyone called BHJ and asked WHY?? or more to the point WTF? I mean that isn't a irrelivant measurment to miss, expecially for 350+ bucks.

Last edited:
Looks like this should be a sticky post for a few months here in the tech forum and added to the FAQ forum.

Ummm-wouldn't milling material from the BHJ damper change it?? :confused:

Also-need to make sure that you attach a pulley that matches the BHJ balance-using a stock pulley with the BHJ could create some probs as well-learned that while a car here in Iowa was being built.

Nice find RICH...

Mill The Balancer??? You gotta be kidding...Obviously the proper Bolt is the smart solution. So for a BUCK you can sleep at night with no worries...

Brad

Glad you found that.In the process of a hi-po rebuild and that was my next part.Wouldnt want 5 grand and a couple months work in the crapper over a 1 dollar part :eek: :eek: :mad: .Thanks!!!

I'm trying to get in contact with Brian at BHJ and will post the information when I hear back from him.

Unfortunately, I have not installed one of these, so I cannot comment at this point. I know they had the stock damper for comparison when they made the original run of these dampers.

We have had no reports of failures of these dampers due to the crank bolt striping out or breaking. I suspect the dampers are mostly held on by the press fit and the key, so it is not a critical issue that would ground any SC/XR7 with the stock or Mustang bolt. I seem to remember the Mustang bolt being slightly longer, but cannot remember for certain.

In any event, it will be good to get the correct bolt for this application. Thanks for bringing this to our attentions, Rich!

To add to this thread I already contacted BHJ and I told them of this issue. They were not interested in changing the depth of the snout and verifed the BHJ was 2.5" deep. They told me to call SCP :confused: They told me I was the first :eek: to report this issue. Glad BHJ cares :mad:

I called Bill at SCP and is verified the snout depth was different. He was not aware of the difference in snout depth.

My question is who worked on the BHJ design?

I believe every BHJ installation using the stock Ford bolt is at risk of ripping the threads out and the balancer coming off.

I hope we do not have to hear of horror stories before this information is made comon knowledge to the community.

The Updated Ford crankshaft bolt is not any longer than the stock. The updated crank bolt is tapered and the OEM bolt was not. Both are 10.9 grade.

Last edited:
Steve Webb worked with BHJ on the original product. BHJ had samples of both types of dampers.

Thanks again for the info Rich!!!!

Anyway, thanks for the info. I will pass this on to the three NJ guys who have these balancers (Including myself!!!!!!).

Don

The Updated Ford crankshaft bolt is not any longer than the stock. The updated crank bolt is tapered and the OEM bolt was not. Both are 10.9 grade.

By "updated", do you mean the Mustang bolt (new) that many have been using instead re-using the exisitng stock bolt? I'm pretty sure the Mustang bolt was longer than the stock SC crank bolt.

Well, if the Mustang bolt is not a good fit regardless if it is longer, I'll take one of those bolts your are selling (practically giving away! :D )

Thanks for the update, and it was great meeting you at Carlisle!

I'm pretty sure the Mustang bolt was longer than the stock SC crank bolt.
The mustang bolt is shorter than the stock SC bolt. It has been recomended as far back as when the initial BHJ group purchase took place that a longer than stock bolt should be used during the installation to ensure proper depth and extending into virgin threads.

Paul

Paul, If it was recommended that a longer bolt be used with the BHJ I cannot find anyone (BHJ or SCP) telling the same story. I believe you but my point is anyone selling BHJ balancers had a responsibility to ensure the instructions included with each balancer stated a new bolt was needed. The longer bolt needed is not a common bolt at all. You cannot find it at any local hardware store. Waiting for balancers and engines to fail is not a good way to find out if a problem exists.

Rich Thomson said:
Paul, If it was recommended that a longer bolt be used with the BHJ I cannot find anyone (BHJ or SCP) telling the same story. I believe you but my point is anyone selling BHJ balancers had a responsibility to ensure the instructions included with each balancer stated a new bolt was needed. The longer bolt needed is not a common bolt at all. You cannot find it at any local hardware store. Waiting for balancers and engines to fail is not a good way to find out if a problem exists.

I have from day one recomended the use of a longer bolt beginning back when Fred informed me of it. This was discussed some time ago and I have stated on numerous occasions not to use the crank bolt from the mustang. The longer bolt is easily located from any fastener supply house or online and I have personally offered it in the past. I cannot make people do something they dont want to obviously.

Paul

I have been on here for four years and even researched the BHJ. I never heard that the Stock Mustang Bolt shouldn't be used. Everybody recommends the Mustang Bolt becasue it's a better design , but I never heard that a longer non Ford bolt should be used instead. I purchased a longer bolt at the hardware store to use during assembly of the stock balancer, but it isn't a 10.9 grade bolt. I use it to help install then switch to the Mustang bolt. It's just irresponsible to sell a $350 part and not include the bolt and washer that needs to be used with the product when stock hardware wont work correctly. :mad:

Jerry

Back