how to tow/trailer a non-running car?

SC UL8R1990

Hey guys, i need some ideas on how to tow and SC that cant run. Its gotta go about 120miles. Were using my friends 2000 Dakota with tow package.I was thinking of going to uhaul to get some kinda trailer. Preferably just one that you only have to get 2 wheels onto. But how am i going to get an sc on the thing if it doesnt run?

need some ideas or suggestions. All i can think of is man power. There will be 3 or 4 of us pushing this thing. But then again, how do we get it off of the trailer or whatever?

thanks guys

Push.... If it is has been sitting a while you are going to have to lean into it. These things weigh a ton when the brakes get rusty.

You can use a 2 wheel uhual dolly it will work fine, that is what I used.

Good luck
Tim

you were able to push a tbird onto a uhaul dolly? thats what id really prefer to do. I guess im gunna have to say im towing a civic or something,lol.

this is a double post, im not sure how it got in this forum. the other thread is in non-tech

Last edited:
Yeah, it was terrible, It has not been on the road since 2002 and the brakes were rusty, so it took alot just to get it to move.

Just make sure before you put it on the dolly, you take the tire straps off the dolly, otherwise the tires will be sitting on them.

Good luck
Tim

sounds like there is hope of getting it on the dolly. i need to put the rear wheels on the dolly though......right? thats what everyone is telling me?

Front wheels go on the dolly. Then you run straps over them. Tell them your towing a Geo Metro or they may not let you. I had a them tell me one time that I couldnm't use theirs because the car I was towing had a chin spoiler according to their books. I was using a 1-ton Dodge Dually so I know I had the power. I got tired or renting so I bought a 2002 Carson wood deck car trailer. Then I added an 8,000 winch to it so I dont have to push anymore. It will more then pay for itself once your friends start needing tows. Just charge em $40 and they're more than happy to pay.

i keep hearing that you cant run the rear wheels because it will ruin the tranny. and i really dont want to disconnect the driveshaft.

I guess its possible to use the rear wheels, but you would have to leave the key in the on position to keep the pressure off the lock in the column. Then you would have to tie off the wheel to something solid. Maybe to the door post to keep it from turning. If you keep your speeds down, I dont see why you couldnt just leave it in neutral and tow it from the front. I just never felt right about towing on a dolly with the front tires on the ground.

Put it on the dolly and unbolt the driveshaft and wire tie it out of the way.

That is the best thing to do

55mph for 120 is going to kill that weak AOD.

Good luck

screw it, im not gunna be able to get this thing back home. oh well. i just called the owner and told him id give him the money to relist it on autotrader. so whatever.

i guess i had to high of hopes.

sorry for wasting all of your time on this but i really appreciate the suggestions.

its 50miles off of the PA/OH border on the penn. turnpike. It could be a decent driver. And a great parts car.

Trailering the S/C

If you really want to pick up the S/C You could hook a cable comalong to the truck to pull the car up on the trailer or dolly, 120 miles isn't to far if you back it on watch the clearance on the front bumper

tbird2.jpg

Rob said:
If you really want to pick up the S/C You could hook a cable comalong to the truck to pull the car up on the trailer or dolly, 120 miles isn't to far if you back it on watch the clearance on the front bumper

Exactly. Rent a trailer from a Rental place, not U-haul. Then you can rent a com-a-long and a chain. Hook the chain to the car, the come along to the bumper of the towing vehicle and the chain. Ratchet the vehicle onto the trailer. It's not hard. I pulled my 89 Ford Ranger onto the back of a flatbed trailer with an engine in it's bed with the same method.

Back