Thread: Smelling like burning coolant. Engine really hot.

Smelling like burning coolant. Engine really hot.

I sent my car to a mechanic to change up the fuel pump and with that he suggested new pulleys/belts. Car was firing up great, boosting alot better. Now I smell burning coolant when I get out of the car after its warm, are my headgaskets going? I have no milky resisdue, oil seems fine.

smell

Depends on were you are smelling it? Is it up front or out the pipes? You could have a leaking radiator hose. Or have you been running it REAL hard after getting the work done?

behind the wheel

Smell comes stongest from behind the front drivers wheel, like its coming threw the cats. I thought it might be the smell from the new pulleys (plastic replacements) but I do not think that would still be ongoing.

couple more points...

Temp gauge is stagnant on N, not getting a good reading there. Try to keep the temp sensor clean but have no idea if the wire is good. Testing that tomorrow.
    If the T-stat was no good or stuck, would that back up the system and force out fluid on to the hot engine? Maybe threw the vent plug- I see that the mechanic put an end to the gasket thing, but I still do not see a way fluid could get out there.

Not running it too hard, I driving alot lately but nothing big.

Maybe the mechanic spilled some coolant on the engine while refilling the system?

i've always smell coolant after driving for a long time and my overflow tank magically empties over the course of a two week period, but yet the radiator stays full, very odd, this is on going for a year and half, so oh well, it still runs haha