New power steering pump, same noises, break in period??

Thomas95SC

I went to flush my power steering last weekend and made the mistake of putting in regular PS fluid instead of ATF fluid. My pump started to whine really bad so I flushed out the synthetic stuff with Type F ATF. The pump still whined a bit so I decided to buy a new pump. I purchased a Cardone pump with a lifetime wrty. We installed and it seems that it still makes the same noise????? Im pretty sure that we got at least 90% of the other fluid out. The pump instructions state that there is a break in period and that it may make noise for the first 500 miles. Has anyone replaced their pump with this brand and experienced the same thing?????

i replaced mine with a ford pump and a new steering rack, been more than 500 miles and same noise as i had with the old one, and i thought my old one was bad... ohwell. would like to hear if others have this same problem ? i dont understand why ?? Alex L

Did you get all the air out of the lines? Jack up the front end and grab the front wheel and turn it back and forth to see if there's air bubbles coming up in the power steering reservoir.

Well, I tried jacking it up and bleeding it but it still kinda makes a little noise. I think it died down a little though. Maybe it will work itself out :( .

Note that the pump design that Ford uses on our cars (and many of their line) are known for being noisy. So the noise, in and of itself doesn't represent a problem. Air in the system will substantially increase the noise.

Back