Good news, good news, bad news...

XR7Kurt

Good news: Went to the track again with the 5-speed and the launch is improving. I made my best run to date in either car with a 15.46@88mph with a 2.18 short time. I was 1-1 against chevys-beat a riced out s-10 and lost to a bubbafied camaro that had open headers and slick in the street car lane. Lost to a 03' Cobra(big suprise) and beat a 95' GT convert.

Good news: Finally had my Magna Flow resonator installed today.

Bad news: see pictures. :(

Attachments

• midashackjobrear.jpg
    midashackjobrear.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 157
  • XR7.jpg
    XR7.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 153
XR7Kurt said:
Good news: Went to the track again with the 5-speed and the launch is improving. I made my best run to date in either car with a 15.46@88mph with a 2.18 short time. I was 1-1 against chevys-beat a riced out s-10 and lost to a bubbafied camaro that had open headers and slick in the street car lane. Lost to a 03' Cobra(big suprise) and beat a 95' GT convert.

Good news: Finally had my Magna Flow resonator installed today.

Bad news: see pictures. :(

Did anyone tell the idiots at Midas that Discount Auto has adapters!!! :eek:

RJ

Did anyone tell the idiots at Midas that Discount Auto has adapters!!!
I looked at autozone and advance auto for adapter to just do it myself and nither place had anything close( very small selection).
I took it to the Goodyear place that did a decent job on my A/C and the guy there looked at it and said since it needed reducers he couldn't do it because they did have any. He tells me go to see Eric at Midas he can do it. I take it to Eric he says he can do it, stupid me I'm thinking the only way to do it is WITH reducers and they must have them because they're a MUFFLER shop. They actually beat the end of the 3" outlet with a hammet to reduce the difference between it and the stock pipe. I put it up on ramps when I got home to take the pictures. It was out there for a while and cooled off I guess because when I started it back up to check for leaks, not really expecting to find any, there was a whole on the top of each connecter, where it was hard to reach I guess. I'm so used to getting screwed every single time someone touches my car that I'm thinking this is funny and not even that pi$$ed off. :p Anyhow took it back and they did some more mig magic, told me " I thought I got it pretty good, must have been a piece of slag fall off" :confused: I'm thinking he has slag on his brain. He did have the stroke of genius to do it with the car running to make sure this time, but like I said I think the problem was after the thing cooled.

UFB!!!!
I thought I got it pretty good, must have been a piece of slag fall off"
In case the genius was wondering SLAG isn't the quite the same as a weld :eek: Its the crap that didn't weld. Welding is the process of joining two pieces oh metal together to form one. It seems this guy has reached the height of his incompetence! Lets not even begin to critique the rest of his handy work.

Bryan

Not to mention it would have had to been a piece off of each connection, so his excuse is even lame for someone that doesn't know what slag is. :p
I just checked it again after letting it cool. It seems the super genius' plan of welding with the car running didn't quite pan out. The rear outlet still has a leak.
Oh well, back to Midas in the morning, this time with a couple of suggestions. ;)

Sheesh!
That weld looks worse than my first attempt to make my own down tubes! It doesn't look like he ever got it to make a good pool to fuse the two pieces together, not to mention the reducer job he did. :eek: :rolleyes:
I still have to weld up the flange to mine still but it's been too hot out lately to mess with hot exhausts and welding when I get off from work, either that or it's raining. ;)
Congrats on your new best time!

Uh :confused: I'm with Bryan on this one Kurt this guy must be clueless I did better in shop class freshman year. looks like he welded it with a soldering iron.... :eek:

Well, I went back to the friendly neighborhood Midas shop at 8:00am sharp this morning. This time the owner, I think, was there. I explained what had happened and suggested maybe it was time to try another approach, like maybe the right one. Over the course of our conversation I heard things such as: you can't reduce 3", whatever that means and welds don't crack when they cool.
Anyway he gets on it himself and assures me that this time it will not like and if it does he'll give me my money back, $66. The next part is the same as the previous times I went home except the leak is slightly smaller but still there.
I go back, owner looks mystified, puts car on rack while running, does his best "I'm inspecting the space shuttle for defects" act including checking the inlets just in case he misunderstood that it was the outlet. He even tears off a piece of paper to show how thoroughly he searching for this leak that just isn't there. :p I put my hand up there show him exactly where it is and he tells me he'll give me my money back but I'm being nit picky! He's all huffy puffy at this point. Back at the office he get my money tosses it on the counter to me and says there's nothing wrong with that, then he tells me don't come back! All I could do was laugh and say you don't have to worry about that. Chalk this up under reason #374,547,958,475,354,001 to do everything yourself.

Back