Rough idling during cold starts

mn12freak

Hey just wondering if anyone has had any issues with their SC idling rough immediately after startup, mine is an 89 5 spd with 67k miles on it mechanically it seems to be very sound and it comes from a guy who had all the factory manuals/bulletins etc (he gave them to me with the car :D ) and I know he kept up with most of the maintenance cuz the thing is a cream puff so I am not sure what to think. Pretty much what happens is you turn the ignition and it runs really rough (cold starts only) and you have a to give it a bit of gas and then it starts idling normally, if you won't give it gas it'll die. Probably an easy fix, let me know if any of you guys have run across this before, thanks :)

Mine is the same,'89 5spd w/77,000 mi.
I've had new plugs & wires. I'm leaning
toward cam sensor since its on start up.

OneBad89SC said:
Mine is the same,'89 5spd w/77,000 mi.
I've had new plugs & wires. I'm leaning
toward cam sensor since its on start up.

Yea, I just got this car and the spark plug wires look pretty new, cam sensor wouldn't suprise me.

My '89 5-speed with 150,000 miles does *exactly the same thing*. Previous owner said the plugs and wires were replaced last year.

My 90 5speed with 93k miles does the same thing. not all the time though. so im leaning towards the cam sensor. otherwise, if it was the plugs and wires, it would run sh**ty all the time.

is the cam sensor hard to replace? isnt it right beneath the thermostat housing?

edit* - nevermind, nothing is easy on his car LOL!! :eek: :D

SC UL8R1990 said:
My 90 5speed with 93k miles does the same thing. not all the time though. so im leaning towards the cam sensor. otherwise, if it was the plugs and wires, it would run sh**ty all the time.

Not totally true Walter because bad wires are really bad for cold starting and you get rough idle as a result. :)

A suggestion for vehicle owners

If those plug wires were broken when they were installed, or the plugs are gapped wrong, you'd never know. My suggestion is to decarbeurize the idle air bypass valve first, and then check the TPS setting and then change the fuel filter and check the air filter. Could also be the coil. If you don't have DFI, another suggestion would be that the ignition module could be bad. It could be a cracked head, or leaky valve stem seals, or a LOT of things. I suggest, when one of my friends or anyone buys a car, that they change all the filters, fluids and the plugs, wires, cap and rotor (if applicable), brakes and windshield wipers (unless anything is obviously new) and check all the lights for moisture; and then clean the engine and the underhood really well and give the car a 4 wheel alignment. Maybe it will cost a little to get it all done right, but you have the peace of mind knowing what the condition of everything is, and your eyes will tell you immediately if you have any leaks in the engine. So give your SC a good tune-up and see if it doesn't drive like a whole new car. :)

Last edited:
Not totally true Walter because bad wires are really bad for cold starting and you get rough idle as a result

thank you for pointing out that im a dummy :( :p

just wanted to throw in that ive never seen the words "Super Coupe" and "simple" in the same sentence

fixed. :D :D :cool:

Back