Another reason political discussion is a bad idea HERE

Duffy Floyd

SCCoA Lifetime Member
Recently I closed a thread concerning mainly political and religious discussions. Some of you may not have reacted well to it. However...here is the "Rest of the Story".

We are presently working on Articles of Incorporation for the SCCoA so it can be recognized as a not for profit Corporation in OH as well as setting things up for IRS 501(C)(3) qualification in the future if that decision can be justified because of the expense of following all the required rules (filing of financial reports and such).

In order to comply with all the regulations imposed the SCCoA can not be involved in things that could be construed as an attempt to influence legislation NOR participate in, or intervene in (including the publication or distribution of statements) any political campaign on the behalf of any candidate for public office.

Since the BBS is maintained and paid for by the SCCoA if statements are published for public viewing supporting or opposing specific candidates or political parties we could be seen as violating the intent of these IRS Regulations and this could affect the not for profit status of the SCCoA.

I asked nicely and some did not take the hint. Now you have the rest of the story.

I asked nicely and some did not take the hint. Now you have the rest of the story.
And you posted your message while I was still typing mine, so for you to imply that it was intentional insolence is undue and very unprofessional. Perhaps an apology would not be out of line for such an irresponsible insult.

And since this is the case, I will probably be much more scarce around here.

92TBurnSC said:
And you posted your message while I was still typing mine, so for you to imply that it was intentional insolence is undue and very unprofessional. Perhaps an apology would not be out of line for such an irresponsible insult.

And since this is the case, I will probably be much more scarce around here.

You were asked nicely almost a day before in my original post and the warning was given. You even reponded to my original post and blew me off. Invoking George Davenport as the ultimate authority to decide what remains shows that you have no understanding of the structure of the club as it exists today. George and I are CO-coordinators. That means we are equals and cooperate together for the betterment of the whole club of which you are not a member. I also made it clear that I had recieved complaints from the membership about the kind of thread I closed so to imply I was the only one that had a problem further demonstrates you do not have a clear understanding of the facts.

If you choose to stay or go that is your decision. I see someone has already indicated how much you will be missed...at least by some.

Hey Duffy....

.... I don't think SCCoA is the proper place for political topics, even if it was allowed. There are so many other sites one can post their political opinions and views. So if this......uh....who was he again?,has a problem with going by the posting rules you and George lay down and wants to go, let him.

All we can say is SC ya!!!!!!

David

Wow. I find nothing insulting about anything Duffy posted. 'Nuff said.

XR7 Dave said:
Wow. I find nothing insulting about anything Duffy posted. 'Nuff said.
Good deal Duff Man! Maybe now some of the "old members" might come over and lounge and participate more often.

No longer part of board bye?

I never said I was leaving, I just said I wouldn't be posting as often. However, since so many apparently do not appreciate my company or input on anything, I think it's best I just depart then.

My apologies to anyone I may have offended. Bis später.

I guess I need to read some of the discussion page. I missed the whole thing about a NFP status.

All I know is that posts on politics and religion ALWAYS end up being 40 pages long and nothing ever is really solved.

I just ignore them.

Jeff

Some of you folks are really being unkind. The rules of the Forum, up until this point, have never stated that political nor religious discussions were forbidden. So a couple people decide to participate in some discussions.

Some other people feel the need to read these threads, even when it doesn't interest them, and chastize those that participate.

Now there are rules that control such posts. Before there weren't. So why sit back and effectively attack an individual?

I don't think anybody is attacking anybody Mike. Duffy posted that he wanted the thread to stop and people ignored him like he didn't have the authority to ask that.

I don't feel Duffy was out of place in his request, as it has to do with SCCoA guidelines and I don't think anybody else that posted was attacking 92TBurnSC, he evidently wasn't happy with what Duffy posted and remarked that he wouldn't be around as much. I don't think the rest of us have a problem following the rules, if they were in place before or if they are new rules.

I've been posting on here for almost a year and this site and the people on it have helped me so much with info and ideas about these cars. I do have political and religious opinions, but have never posted on any of those threads. Those should be left for another place and time.

David

You need to re-read Duffy's posts. His initial post did not tell people to stop.

Not until this thread was placed at the top of this forum have the rules been changed. And not until his Last post in the locked thread did he actually tell people to stop.

Then in this thread we get comments directed towards a single individual like:

Bye.....I'm sure you will be missed by someone.

David

and

All we can say is SC ya!!!!!!

David

Don't let the door hit you on your way out.

If not veiled attacks, such comments certainly are un-kind and of poor taste.

92tburn sc I like your political stuff but not here maybe a few private messages would do or maybe a link to a off site discussion somewhere else.

The Duff man is trying to do a very hard thing and we dont need to make it harder,

so how about we try "try to keep the religous-political stuuf off the sccoa ,

maybe instant mesenger or email or a ????? ,

Im not saying anyone is wrong we all have posted a post , on a none sc related subject at one time or another.

and alex im the original no longer part of the board bye guy!!!

92TBurnSC

If you felt singled out, insulted or attacked, I apologize for anything I said in the wrong way. I'm sure nobody really wants you to go. Hey!, you're a fellow SC'er!!!!!! Can't we all just get past this, start going by the new rules and like mcate said, let's talk some car stuff.

Mike, I think Duffy in a polite way summed it up in his first post when he said it wasn't the right place to discuss what was being discussed. He also posted several times after that repeating that he wanted the thread to end on it's on, treating men like men. People kept posting and that's why Duffy closed it.

I know I'd much rather talk car stuff than politics. My wife watchs news channels for what seems like all day long and when I get on SCCoA, I'd like to think I could get away from the NEWS for a little while. Life is too short to be arguing about something so trivial as this, so let's enjoy our cars and have fun on here without stepping on any toes.

Damon: I told you that you were faster than me. You need to change your signature ;)

David

Last edited:
Back