Another reason political discussion is a bad idea HERE

Why was my post removed....

It simply said there is no legal problem with the expression of views on any such forum....mainly because there isn't any real force (money) or political involvement.

If you want to have a policy of sticking to topic that's fine....it's your website....but please be aware expression of views can't be help against SCCOA in any way.

As I put it before.....think of it this way....that someone would actually go into the web pages and scrutinize the language and make some "threshold of pain" determination that it was some political statement that carried enough posts or weight?....to cause SCCOA to lose its status?

That's really far fetched....and I'll bet you nothing has ever happened like that in the legal world.

I appologize....it wasn't removed....

My stupid mistake navigating back and forth from technical to non-technical forums......

vettewars said:
It simply said there is no legal problem with the expression of views on any such forum....mainly because there isn't any real force (money) or political involvement.

If you want to have a policy of sticking to topic that's fine....it's your website....but please be aware expression of views can't be help against SCCOA in any way.

As I put it before.....think of it this way....that someone would actually go into the web pages and scrutinize the language and make some "threshold of pain" determination that it was some political statement that carried enough posts or weight?....to cause SCCOA to lose its status?

That's really far fetched....and I'll bet you nothing has ever happened like that in the legal world.

The point being....why take the chance? Some churches have lost their not- for-profit status because the minister has made political statements from the pulpit or political rallys were held in their facility. All it takes is one person making a complaint and the SCCoA is then in the position of having to defend itself with the attendent legal fees that accompany that defense. Regardless if the charges are later found to be baseless...the money is gone and in the absence of malice are gone forever since there is no way to recoup them.

I see where you're coming from....some other suggestions too...

maybe you're right....I'm going by my legal instincts at this point....
If you say only one person has to make a complaint and then you're suddenly behind the 8 ball and have to fight back...I don't know....but it just doesn't sound like America to me.

As far as I know....there are only a few statutes that carry this type of "weight"...such as when a woman accuses a man of household abuse...and they come to the door and whisk him away and he has no chance to tell his side of the story.

Your church story I believe is apples and oranges because you say they actually staged a political rally in the church....

The best analogy to that for the SCCOA that I could imagine would be to post that there will be political meetings and support rallys for specific political interests at certain locations...and then in some way be viewed as making specific attempts to support such ACTIVITIES.....and thus use the site as a VEHICLE to those specific interests and activities....

But I understand your concern "why take a chance"....
It just pisses me off the forces out there are truly succeeding in getting their way in terms of what I think is a very clever new approach.....

You can already see a distinct movement against "political speech". I find this curious ....you hear it on TV more and more....this is when there are people on that are really speaking something important or relevant....and then the announcer says something like.....well....you're just being political aren't you.....
Thus the "free speech" is instantly degraded as part of some political diatribe....and generally pooh poohed because it must be part of some childish back and forth that is so characteristic of the political discussion these days. But take note of this ever growing knee jerk reaction to someone saying something and then it being DISMISSED as being political. See...I don't consider myself "political"....I just speak my mind about what I see....

Having "policital paranoia" fits into this whole motif that is developing through America. It's also supported by what I believe is an overall thrust on the part of business to make sure you "keep you eye's on the ball" and concentrate on your job.

So in general...."they" are getting their way in terms of making sure that we don't challenge those in power....and that's a very scary thought. Of course SCCOA is not in any way a focal point for any of this in the galatic scheme of things....but this way of thinking is very illogical in my opinion and can quickly snowball into something which makes people brain dead to what's going on in the country.

This site never ceases to entertain....and part of the entertainment is in the wide open discussion....I've been extremely impressed with the insight that people in this forum seem to have....and I'd be upset to see any criteria for personal discussion be imposed that I think would instantly take away from the "personal feel" of this site.

Another possible recommendation....
Let whatever chat go on for perhaps one day unless it has to be censored for whatever reasons....and then simply delete threads that don't seem to benefit anything in terms of SCCOA information....then you don't have the permanent record.
I'm not exactly sure what you archive at this point...but some sites do have certain criteria for what they archive.
Then you could actually cover yourself in terms of a couple things.

State somewhere up front (maybe you do this already) that this forum is for the following purposes....to advance the SC...etc etc...and shouldn't be used for personal dialog or to promote any other interest groups other than specifically related to the SC etc etc....SCCOA has no affliation with ANY other interests...etc etc...

Then state that the management is looking for thoughtful responses that will become part of the SCCOA archives and informational data base....and that anything posted can be deleted and removed from this data base if it is not considered beneficial.

I'm with Duffy

I joined this great club for information about my SC and offer what I can back to the members, hopefuly meeting some of you in future club events. While I don't mind telling my beliefs on religion and politics to anyone who is willing to lend an ear, I don't think this is the place for that. I can't imangine what the preacher might say if I started an in depth discussion about SC in church! Just tell me how to get the most out of my 'bird!

Oh well...

If he wants to throw a hissy fit, or be a child about it, then whatever. He should just say...Ok...I can tone down on the religous and political talk. I higghly enjoy a good political debate anytime, but I can go to plenty of other sites that are more appropriate. Lets talk about Super Coupes instead! :D

well as long as we stay none political .

lets dont dare talk about smog laws or salvage laws, clunker laws ,
that would be political ,

even the mere mention of who do you like for prez, or saying merry xmas,

even oh my god whats this is a religious post I talked of street racing thats against the law oops there I go again thats political.

there is a fine line and I think in this case the dufster did a great job we cant stop all religious post and political ones but we can stop the really blatant ones,

its whats best for the club

Man, this is a beef I haven't seen on this forum. Ima bit curious of how this grudge against Tburn was created.

Not the reason the post was re-stickied. All water over the dam other than why political and religious discussion is not allowed.

Well.....what can I say? Haven't had a lot of political discussion on the board I had to moderate since making it a sticky.

im a politics hater, it doesnt matter if the dem's or reps get office in the long run your still gonna get higher taxes, gas prices and more laws to annoy u. i mostly look at all of it as a comedy show:D

im a politics hater, it doesnt matter if the dem's or reps get office in the long run your still gonna get higher taxes, gas prices and more laws to annoy u. i mostly look at all of it as a comedy show:D

You just broke the rule.:D

I think we should be able to talk politics.

Screw this damn Shutdown! I lost a bunch of dough in the market yesterday!!!!1 :mad::mad::mad:

Someone needs to make a flippin' decision. I can't believe all this nonsense!!!!!!!!

Back