Alum Rad for MP front mount

Shockwave

I am planning on adding the MP front mount to my 89 SC auto. I still have the stock radiator that is in good condition. I run a 180 degree thermostat and on the highway with A/C on, I'm on the M of the temp guage. Even with the A/C off it only goes down a fraction. So I figure adding the MP is only going to make things worse due to another air restriction.

So I was thinking about adding a universal fit Aluminum radiator and make some custom brackets. The MP front mount core measures 18.5" wide by 14.25" High by 3" deep accordign the the MP website. They don't list the dimensions between the outlets. It looks to me that you have about 1.5' before the tank starts at each end of the core. Right now it looks like 21"-21 1/2" max width between tanks is my guess. I'll e-mail magnum Powers and find out.

intercooler_0001.jpg

AFCO 80100FN
80100fn.jpg

Howe
342BF
Ford.jpg

18-1/4"tank height

20" total height

21-1/4" tank to tank width

22-1/4" right tank to filler neck

Universal parts eBay

cr9600.jpg

Radiator Overall Dimensions:

21 ½” Wide
19 ½” Tall
3” Tank Thickness
Radiator Core Dimensions:

16 7/8” Wide
18” Tall
2 ¼” Core Thickness

I'm not sure any of these will fit. Has anybody used something besides a SC radiator with the MP front mount? Also with a stock lockup convertor do you guys think using a 24,000 gvw B&M trans cooler exclusively will be a problem? This car is a daily driver not a garage queen. I guess you could always add a fan to the trans cooler.

Thanks
Jerry

In my opinion its alway sgood to run it through the radiator cooler then to an external. There is an efficient temp range for the Tranny and it hovers closely around 160-180 degrees..

Mike over here makes a nifty custom rad for MP front mounts that is a direct bolt in, DO a Search for Mikes Radiators...And they do look purty

I'm curious if your that is the best way to do it. I called a few trans places & they say the external, then the radiator, then back to the trans. ...

I actually think it should be the way you said : Trans to rad to external to trans : .... But that's not what they are telling me.

Anyone else have anything on this?

Anthony

If you're going with the MP FMIC, may I suggest the optional pusher fan be
something you consider. I'm running the Griffin rad and FM and the pusher
fan wired to a switch and only on the hottest days in stop and go traffic
does the temp get past the N or O.

As for the tranny cooler built into the rad, would it not absorb heat from the
engine coolant part of the rad?

Well on my nephew's 90 SC with the new Art Carr trans, I added a B&M 24,000 gvw cooler after the radiator trans cooler. I figured that if we ran it through the B&M and then the radiator the trans fluid would be heated back up to 200 degrees. By running the cooler to the radiator you will get the fluid down to coolant temp or close to it. Then the external cooler can lower the temp as best it can. Also i am running the stock locking convertor so there isn't going to be as much heat as in a high stall convertor trans.

Places like Derale sell coolers, fans, thermostats, and gauges for transmissions. I agree that 160-180 degrees would be excellent for the trans. I might need a gauge on there to monitor temps.

I have a 14" pusher fan in front of the condensor now on the factory IC side. I will have that centered on the condensor for use with the MP front mount.

These universal aluminum radiators sell for around $180, which is a great deal if it can be made to work.

Jerry

Back