High Speed Fan/ No low speed..gettin HOT!

Bigme574

:confused: I have been through 2 junk yard IRCM's to get my fan working; the high speed fan works now but the low speed still does not work and it is running pretty warm. I wanted to avoid getting a $189.00 IRCM from ford, but is there anything else that i can check as to why my fan does not work? I hooked up 12V to the fan itself and both high and low work with direct current. Any ideas, suggestions, or tips please let me know.

Aaron
asheets1@umbc.edu

I am planning on taking this car for a 2000 miles round trip so it would be nice to have a working fan. Thanks for any input!

have u tried the damn ECT sensor, these things do go bad without throwing a CHECK ENGINE LIGHT, pull the codes, do the KOER test and see if u get the ENGINE COOLANT TEMP SENSOR OUT OF RANGE, mines does the same thing. No money to fix it :(

Ect

What is the ect sensor? I ran codes and got a 66 and 67...dealing with the MAF if i recall correctly, but I dont think thta is my problem. had the car a few month and I am already back on the boards...damn it!

Aaron

2 days ago i decided to tackle my running hot problem i went with 2 adjustable thermostatic relays and i by-passed the IRCM i have the low fan set at 170 and the high set at 190ish i also replaced the thermostat with a 180 and added water wetter aswell i'm run'n 100% coolant i noticed the car stays cooler alot longer but it will slowly creep towards the M after about 1hr of intown driving with the A/C on granted the heat index here is around 110-115 during the day but i am still not pleased with all the changes i have done i also added an auxilary tranny cooler completely bypassing the radiator tranny cooler i am probably gonna drain my coolant and run straight distilled with water wetter and see if it makes a difference, i am also wondering if a FMIC with a fan will help me run cooler.

WELL YOUR PROBLEM IS that ur not supposed to run coolant with water wetter, ur supposed to run distilled water with water wetter only, its on the bottle. Also, a good mixture is 70 percent water, 30 percent coolant, dont run coolant only, coolant is a chemical that raises the boiling point of water and therefor is useless by itself. it works with water.

ECT sensor is located next to DIS module, by the FUEL rail on the passenger side.

Wait, so your not suppose to use coolant with water watter???? Your just suppose to use WW with straight distilled water? Has anyone tried that stuff from autozone that guarantees to drop it 40degs???

92silverlx said:
2 days ago i decided to tackle my running hot problem i went with 2 adjustable thermostatic relays and i by-passed the IRCM i have the low fan set at 170 and the high set at 190ish i also replaced the thermostat with a 180 and added water wetter aswell i'm run'n 100% coolant i noticed the car stays cooler alot longer but it will slowly creep towards the M after about 1hr of intown driving with the A/C on granted the heat index here is around 110-115 during the day but i am still not pleased with all the changes i have done i also added an auxilary tranny cooler completely bypassing the radiator tranny cooler i am probably gonna drain my coolant and run straight distilled with water wetter and see if it makes a difference, i am also wondering if a FMIC with a fan will help me run cooler.
Since you bypassed the EEC controls, it (the EEC) no longer can turn the fan on for the A/C. My experience is the A/C adds quite a bit of heat load, but.. when the fan is turning, its usually adequate to pull it and the engine heat off. Your thermostatic relays should be more than adequate to handle it, but I wouldn't be surprised if your A/C didn't work so well in traffic. Good and constant airflow across the condenser is necessary. When you're moving its no problem; when you're sitting, the fan needs to run.
Your situation sounds a bit extreme.. 115 :eek: you must live in Arizona. You may just need a bigger radiator. ;)

i live in deep south Texas i'm about 5mins from Mexico, day time temps reach 100-105 but in-city temps are usually 10 degrees higher due to all the traffic, as far as running straight coolant yeah i'm gonna have to fix that, the computer does shut the fans off around 45-48mph so i will probably splice in some toggle switches to turn the relays off while at highway speeds and the relays have wires that splice into the A/C so they automatically turn on when the A/C is activated.

Cooling fan troubles

I own a 1990SC and I'm also having problems with the cooling fan. Sometimes the fan doesnt' turn on at all and it forces me to shut the car off for few minutes. Is there a relay i can check? Is there a separate relay for the high speed and low speed?? How do you check the high speed and low speed fan motors to make sure they work. I do know that when I turn my A/C on, the fan will turn on.... is that the high speed or low speed??

Thanks,
Brando

Brando, if you run the KOEO test it cycles your fans on both low & high speeds. That should verify whether your relay module & fan are working correctly. Rick has a code reader that I'm sure he'd let you borrow. I just went through this whole mess on my red '95. Let me know if you need help.

Mike

Back